Accurate Miniatures SB2U-3 Vindicator USMC, VMSB-241,Capt Richard Fleming

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 64 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Thanks Rick, going well so far.

• Profile Photo

Next up is to work on the pilots cockpit. First up is installing the seat frame to the cockpit floor section. Next it is to prepare and paint the RH and LH side cockpit rails. Avionic components black, the fire extinguisher brass(Testor's Gold actually). Add the PE bits on the RH console. Once thats done, next is to add the seatbelts to the seat. Next to install the control stick to the cockpit floor. Lifecolor faded OD and Xtracrylix

Gloss black for the handle. AM grey plastic is really soft. But easy to work with when trimming. Next is to install the seat and then the RH side cockpit bracing/rail assy. And that will do it for now. More to follow.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years ago:

Looks like a lot of little parts Chuck. Are they fitting well?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years ago:

Tom, that is a really detailed cockpit, and you're doing it justice. Whose seatbelts? They look really good.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom, for the most part yes, though you do need to take your time as the parts are fiddly and fragile. Just test fit before permanently assembling the parts. Some parts of the instruction sheet is quite vague.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard, the seatbelts are Eduards and are very nice.

• Profile Photo

Chuck, one of their shortcomings. Vague instructions. Otherwise, you'd have to know the airplane to figure it out, and most of those folks are no longer walking among us. They aren't taking calls, either.
    I can't think of any in depth modelers references on the airplane, either. I think there's one at the Navy Air Museum in Pensacola, pulled out of Lake Erie.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

The more I see this built, the more I want to add to the stash...! Looking really great!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

It is looking great ! Maybe this link to the Naval Museum will help you some too.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/virtualtour/?s=pano725

This is a cockpit panorama of the Vindicator that Bernard mentioned a few posts ago... Check out the link... It's pretty amazing all of the details you can pick up .

Hope this helps my friend.

• Profile Photo

Louis, thanks for posting that. I've never seen the uppers done in Blue Gray. I was expecting the overall cockpit to be Bronze Green, by the time the -3 went to the Marines. Looks like they also left that one support member in the previous silver rather than overpaint the switch box mounted on it.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years ago:

Bernard, I'm pretty sure that the Vindicator at Pensacola is a -1 or a -2. The major reason is it's markings are for a Navy Squadron. All the -3's went to the Marines, and the NMof Naval Aviation strives for accuracy in the markings on their exhibits. I think the Vindicator reflects a "quick & dirty" paint job on a obsolete plane that didn't merit a full repaint. If AM say the interior of the -3 should be interior green or bronze green that's what I'd go with. And as always I could be completely wrong.

At any rate your build is looking great

• Profile Photo

Rick, thanks. If this is one of the aircraft that was pulled out of Lake Erie, it was probably reconditioned back when before it went to Training Command. Doing takeoff and landings on the Wolverine, a rebuilt paddlewheel steamer, formerly used as an excursion steamer. An interesting story in itself. Needed a training carrier for neophyte pilots, thus the Wolverine.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, it is a little challenging, their approach in how to assemble the fuselage lower panel is not the greatest. But nothing that can't be overcome. Otherwise so far so good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Rick is 100 percent correct Bernard. The plane at the National Naval Air Museum is a dash -2. It was restored in the correct aluminum colored fuselage interior and depicts a quick painting of camouflage over the original "Yellow Wings " or overall Light Gray colors. I'm going to agree with Rick also on the interior of the fuselage on the Dash -3's being green. However I am 95 percent sure that they would probably have been a "Dull Dark Green " just like in the early Birdcage and Raised Cabin F4U-1A Corsairs. This would seem to make sense since these two types of planes were being manufactured by the same company, Vought.

I'm glad you enjoyed the link to the website. I really thought it was cool to see the actual inside of a sole survivor Vindicator.

Your build is really coming along great Chuck ! Please keep us posted as you can... Thanks my friend.

• Profile Photo

Wow Louis that is an amazing video. Thanks, I will do some more research in regard to that interior color. The interior is pretty much completed now, but not too late to repaint the upper areas blue. Will look into it further before I change it.