E13A 'Jake'

Started by Paul Barber · 37 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 2 months ago:

After a bit of research it seems there are some interesting stories around the IJN scouts from Tone and Chikuma. I'll do a bit more reading and choose one to build.

In the interim here is a link to some interesting info for those interested in crews of IJN planes at Midway

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/midway.htm#Midway%20aircraft/Crews

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Paul, thanks for that. Amazing, after all this time, that anyone can come up with that kind of information.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with Bernard. There is really a LOT of information available there, especially if you start checking out the sub titled tabs. Very cool stuff.

I have the old Nichimo "Jake" kit. Thanks for the info.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis - I have sourced that kit too and ordered one about a week back from the US (I am in Aus) - it looks pretty challenging and lacking in some key detail - especially the cockpit - should be fun!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

But...but...there's no PICTURES - I gotta have visual aids, ya know! 🙁

• Profile Photo

I know Craig - however interesting it was a bit text heavy. Here are some Jakes!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And a couple more...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Paul, the Nichimo dates from the 60s, good basic shape, if a little clunky. Mike West- Lone Star Models- in Texas used to have a resin update kit to bring it along, I dunno if he's still got any. The cockpit is lacking as it used to be motorized, and the batteries went into guess where? One of the early "Japanese Explosion", as I called it. Tamiyas 50th scale planes like the Pete, Zeke, Shoki, Tony (could be motorized!) and Ki-100 (that one, too)Myrt with the transparent fuselage. (nothing new with the recent Tony)

I bought every one I could find. UPC Dinah.

• Profile Photo

Paul, thanks for posting the great pictures ! They really are cool...the colored one is my favorite.

Bernard is right about the cockpit with the batteries.

I have seen a few Nichimo "Jakes" built on the web that have had a scratch built cockpit. It's a neat plane and an excellent choice. You really don't see too many built either, which I personally like...

I think I can speak for all of us here, by saying that we are looking forward to watching your project come along.

Thanks for joining our "growing" little group.

• Profile Photo

Louis, it's a shame Senor Hasegawa hasn't decided to add to his seaplanes (I see they've got a whole new Emily coming out) with a nize 48th Jake. Yeah, I know there's their 1/72nd, in some cases WITH a catapault, no less, but how 'bout a 48th? Nichimo is no longer trading, as our British cousins would say. Law of diminishing returns, for the folks who don't have one of the Nichimos. Plus, then you've got a shell. I'll start lighting joss sticks.

• Profile Photo

I know we are long over due for a new one...

Check out this web site. It's from Revell Germany and you can cast your vote for what plane you would like to see a new model made from. You get one vote per month. I would go back and vote each month. So far I have been requesting a 1/48 scale Mitsubishi G3M "Nell". A new 1/48 "Jake" would be nice too.

https://www.revell.de/ideas/

It's in German and English

Who knows what may end up from this... Maybe other companies can follow suit. I know that Hasegawa recently released a brand new Nakajima E8N1 and E8N2 Type 95 biplane which is a sea plane. It's kit number 19197 or JT97. I bought one and it's on the build pile.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 1 month ago:

It has been a while since I have touched a model. Work getting in the way of life again! So I thought I would share the enjoyment of unboxing this 'venerable' kit. I got it from 'Lots of Models' in Missouri, and it made it to Australia unscathed, and in good time. So, thanks to the the guys there.

According to scalemates.com it was originally produced in 197? and also reboxed in 197?. Judging by the pictures of the box on scalemates, this is the rebox. Even if it was a late 70's model, it is, probably at least 40 years old. According to my reading, Nichimo were founded in 1951 and finally stopped trading in 2013, although they had not produced a new kit in 'decades'. I would of course be interested if anyone could add to this information.

The box is doing quite well for its age! It may however have been a little moist at some point in its past as the decals, which I had planned to replace anyway, are looking a little worse for wear! Many parts had become detached from the sprues, although the original seals on the plastic bags had not been broken. There was a card 'blueprint-style' line drawing in the box and some ancient glue. While I am tempted, in the name of an authentic 1970s experience, I think I'll stick with the 'Tamiya thin'!

Although there are some obvious issues, I am not too disappointed by the detailing on the kit, and with a little scratch building it may make into a very basic version of The Jake.

The issues with this model are well-documented. The engine detail is minimal, and the cockpit is fairly non-existent since it was sacrificed in order to accommodate a mini-motor to spin the prop! The box shows the 'Mabuchi Mini Baby Motor' suggested, so I googled it and it could still be sourced.

I am am faintly tempted to put a motor in it out of respect to 'antiquity'! That, and the fact that it might be fun - this was after all, a toy/model crossover in the eyes of many. The problem is that the thought of the sparse cockpit really bugs me! So I'll make decision about it across the next few weeks. To go for the genuine experience that the kit was designed to deliver or to scratch-build the missing elements? The second option is the clear favourite, but if I could squeeze a motor in too...

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 1 month ago:

A little while back Louis pointed me the way to the Vector resin Kinsei Engine. That came as a relief as I was about to start butchering other 'similar' radials! Anyway it arrived so another picture of things to come, and finally something to build as I wait for the cockpit to arrive, while dry fitting and sanding the heck out of the kit itself!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Picture 6 looks like either British or French officers checking out a captured Jake. I know that the French used some for a while after they went back to Viet Nam, 'til their own planes got there. They had at least one Rufe. None of them lasted long, but they make an interesting variation of markings. Under new management, like the Indonesians in their revolt against the Dutch.
    That resin engine looks real pretty. First one I've seen, thanks for posting it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, what do you think of the Hasegawa E8N1 you mentioned above? I missed it, first time out.