E13A 'Jake'

Started by Paul Barber · 37 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

The propeller turned out very well. It looks as if it were a small chunk of metal that was machined into a prop and spinner ! It really catches your eye.

as does the rest of your build. The trolley, and interior bits really look great too ...

Hopefully things will start coming together quicker for you now. This is one of my favorite parts of the build, when the little parts start to make bigger parts...

Well done Sir !

Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, Louis - yes the expected acceleration is happening!

Here is a picture of the cockpit coming together. Fitting it into the fuselage is a challenge - but slowly, slowly it is taking shape.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here is the gap it needs to go into! There has been a lot of sanding, shaping and head-scratching! The gun and its housing will go in later - as will a 'partition' between the observer and gunner. The fuselage and wings went together with a little filler and were a very reasonable fit! Still some filling and sanding to go - but with a little time each day it should just make deadline!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Your work on this thus far is outstanding! I checked my stash and I've got a 1/72 Jake (Hasegawa) - watching yours has made be a bit antsy to build one as well...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg - it feels like knife edge stuff to be honest - like every next sub-build is a bit of a puzzle. The resin parts are nice enough to build and adapt, but very fiddly, and fitting them requires a bit of creative thinking (it is certainly testing me!).

I'd guess that the Hasegawa kits previously available must be more straightforward than the`Nichimo version. To be honest I am a little surprised that there is not a more modern version in 1/72 or 1/48. There were around 1500 made. It was a versatile aircraft being used for recon., and rescue; capable of dropping a bomb on shipping, and even used in kamikaze missions as the war drew to a close. It was used off tenders in China; off cruisers; and of course had a role at Pearl Harbour; in the Coral Sea and at Midway. So scope for a lot of builds! Definitely worth a bit of research and with the anniversaries around now certainly worth getting out of your stash!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Your "Jake" is starting to look more like an airplane each time I look at it... Great stuff my friend... The pilot's office looks fantastic.

I may end up taking another look at one of my Japanese float planes... Your work is inspiring.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Good work Paul, looks like a great addition to ones collection