Monogram 1/48 Devastator TBD-1 USN VT-8 Ens George Gay, USS Hornet CV-8

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 81 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Just a quick view of the Sprues on the Devastator. 1970 era packaging, good details in the cockpit. Raised panel lines but accurate. Will be fun to get started soon.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, I took mine out, too.

Starfighter Decals/Marks Models & Toys down in Virginia has a 48th sheet called Devastators in War Paint, which I have. One to look at, if just for fun.

I'm torn, because I'm (go figure) now drawn to a Coral Sea example, and also the Midway group build. While I may have another in the great pile of models, Yellow Wings are a favorite.

They'd say I'm conflicted.

Aha! Golly, I may have to (cackle! ) buy another one.

As Freddie and I say, it's a curse! In my defense, it's cheaper than playing the horses or learning the bourbon xylophone. I keep telling myself that.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I managed to prepaint the interior components Zinc Chromate Green, before the rains came over the weekend. Along the way also the flaps, and other components that are this color as well. With research ongoing, which is really for the fun part in recreating a bit of history. Thanks for viewing, more to come.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Nice work Chuck. Looking good !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Minor update, no building as yet, still awaiting some detail bits in the mail. But using Tamiya Flat black, the engine and prop. I use black as a base on radial engines before applying the steel or aluminum finish over the cylinder heads. Took advantage of a decent Saturday. Another cool wet day in the southland. More to follow

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years ago:

Quick update, while doing some metallizer paint session on the Vindicator, went ahead and painted the prop hub on the Devastator. . More to follow

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years ago:

Good clean work, Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd, some quick work just to get some done on this. I finally got some more work done on this. More to follow

• Profile Photo

Finally we can lay some work down on this bird. First we start removing the cockpit floor, seat and forward bulkhead. Starting with the bulkhead I will add the PE enhancement to make this look so much better. But I do have to say, the details that Monogram provided in the base kit are well done, and in my younger days, a fine brush and detail painting would've been enough to really make the details pop. Long before Eduard's zoom sets came along. Masking tape for belts, Testors silver for the buckles. Silver pencil to highlight wear areas, and a wash to bring out the details. Next up the seat, adding the lap belts and then put this aside. Now to remove the details on the LH side console, smooth it out and add the PE bit which finally the color matches the interior color for a change, or very close at least. The belts are set in the seat, install this onto the forward bulkhead, the seat looks like it floats over the front cockpit. Next to test fit the assy to the cockpit floor. This Zoom set is for the Great Wall Devastator and the consoles are slightly wider than the kits consoles, so making sure they clear the seat. Next to again clean and smooth out the RH side console prior to adding the PE bit to replace those details. Next to add the bitty PE detail bits to each console, the control stick and paint the headrest brown. And with that this phase is finished. Next to work on the aft portion of the cockpit. More to follow.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Good work, Chuck. Photo etched parts are a good addition to the already well detailed cockpit. Guess the cockpit will be still very visible after the canopy is on.
    You guys are really tempting me to get my copy out of the stash 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

These photo etched details really make the cockpit stand out. This is a very worthwhile addition.
    Like Bernd stated, the cockpit will be very visible, especially if you decide to pose the canopies open. The clear parts from the kit fit rather well on mine. The canopy was really easy to pose "Open".

You have made some great progress with the TBD. Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress.

Bernd, go for it and build yours ! Break out the glue and open your kit !

Join in on the fun... 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Profile Photo

@ Chuck: Did you used a photo etched set designed for the GWH Devastator ?

Eduard has only sets for the new kit. Airwaves having a set with details for the wheel bays, folding mechanism and some seat belts.

@ Louis..i had a look in the box and i will consider it. Before that may posting some photos of the Kate. Building both main carrier based torpedo bombers of that period is an intersting project.

Decal produces Techmod from Poland has a very nice decal/masking set out for VT-6 and VT-8 aircrafts.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL7ZD_5PvSAhXICBoKHZecB-MQFggyMAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scalemates.com%2Fkits%2F210562-techmod-48808-douglas-tbd-1-devastator&usg=AFQjCNGuXh_7_jRZlHRQ5v-Uf0BwPOhzwQ&sig2=EdPA_F6uhCCctwRXILHLaA

• Profile Photo

Yes I will pose the cockpit open on this one. The details are good from the base kit parts themselves. The PE will enhance an already pretty detailed cockpit. Monogram was good for this back in the day.

• Profile Photo

Louis: Doing a quick search for prior builds and reading the WIPs and articles pointed out that fact the canopies on this kit stack very well. The fun part is masking them. A lot of glass to mask...yeeesh.

• Profile Photo

Bernd: The zoom set is for the GWH Devastator. So far I have been able to use it for the Monogram kit so far so good. Thanks for the link.