Torpedo Bomber Monogram – 1/48 TBD-1 Devastator

Started by David Mills · 66 · 3 years ago · devastator, Midway
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you Louis, I'll update you shortly on my re-engineering of the starboard wing. Large quantities of plasticard will be involved! Cheers Louis

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 10 months ago:

The port wing has now been reprofiled. this was done in three stages.

First, by laminating a wooded support/profile from coffee stirrers - what else?

Second by fixing the trailing edge of the upper wing to the lower wing in the correct position. This I found corrected the profile of the upper wing almost entirely, but put the upper wing under some stress. This still required the wooden support to fully restore the profile and to allow the trailing edge to be glued in place ( I considered pinning it).

Third,the trailing edge was then clamped and placed a specially chosen jig so that glue could dry undisturbed...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The only real surprise was...that it seems to have worked! and that I was able to go about the task of filling the yawning chasms between wing and fuselage.
    I elected to fit to the front of the aircraft to minimise any gaps around the nose doors( figuring the gaps at the rear of the wing would be easier to fill).
    I shimmed and trimmed around the bottom of the leading edges, and then looked at the wing to fuselage gaps.
    Tonight's job is to fill those gaps!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I like your "specially chosen jig" holding fixture... 🙂 🙂

I see what you mean about the wing profile. What year was your model kit manufactured / boxed ? There should be a copyright logo on the box and the kit instructions that should also give you the year.

My build was the first edition, (1974) but I have several kits in the stash that were released later. I'm wondering if it may be a problem with the molds ? Either way you got it handled.

It's coming along nicely David. Hopefully tonight you can take care of the seams. Moving right along.

• Profile Photo

Hi Louis - thanks there wasn't much area on the wing for the clamp to grip securely - so need to stand it up so it wasn't disturbed while setting,amazing what you can come up with when the need arizes! The date on the box and instructions is 1974 - but seams have been filled - finishing this off tonight!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Wow that is quite a gap. I just finished my Devastator and I didn't encounter that with my kit. I have the early kit the white box. I just wonder the later repops are having this issue. Anyway you seem to have it in control. Keep it coming.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Chuck, I am not sure how a managed to end up with that gap, but suspect it must have been trying to match up the corrugations on the Leading edge! Still it seems to have all come together and spent some time last night trimming back the plasticard and fettling the joint between fuselage and wing in readiness for final filling and glue tonight!

• Profile Photo

Filling sanding and filling and sanding again, but we seem to be there and should be able to get some paint on the fuselage soon.
    the Devastator will be a bit late but we won't be far away!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The next step is starting on the paint. for the blue Grey I am using Lifecolour with Tamiya for the other colours.
    I have decided to try to use masks for the first time - and I know on a corrugated surface! - but why not - lets see how it goes!

• Profile Photo

Looking good Dave... Keep plugging away at it, and before you know it...

How did the masks work out for you on the corrugations ? (Once you paint the insignia blue on)

• Profile Photo

Not too bad - will post some more photos tonight!

• Profile Photo

O.K. Some interim pictures of the results of using the masks. Reasonably pleased with how these turned out particularly on the corrugations. A little touching up to do before the gloss coat.

In future I would depart from the Montex instructions and paint in the base coat (blue grey) first, and then spray the white and dark blue - the benefit would be not having to remove and then replace the large circular mask - which means that you run much less risk of a white "halo" on the circumference of the marking.

I will put in the red centres and touch up tonight.

• Profile Photo

Here are some further pictures of the completed insignia.
    they are not perfect but pretty good I think. The trouble I have is leaving well enough alone!
    I will deal with the more pronounced issues such as the halo but will leave the smaller ones as weathering!

• Profile Photo

These US Insignias turned out very nice Dave... I'd honestly let them be.

I have found out that (especially when you're spray painting something), if you use a small brush to touch up it sometimes becomes more noticeable due to brush marks. More so if it's in an area that is highly visible.

I like your weathering idea... Thanks for keeping us posted with your progress.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 9 months ago:

A bit more progress just fettling and tidying up leading edges - and a bit of priming hope to get final paint on in the next few days!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.