Weathering Midway planes affected by sea air – any additional info or opinions?

Started by Paul Barber · 16 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 1 month ago:

As I'm about to embark on a floatplane build for in the 'Midway 75th' group, I was really interested in comments by Tom Cleaver - as ever a mine of info - on Louis Gardner's excellent Rufe build:

1/48 Hasegawa Nakajima built A6M2-N “Rufe” Type 2 float plane
    I have been reading around IJN paints and painting and it is often as clear as mud. There is a massive and conflicting amount of info. I have read that the chipping often related to whether primer had been used at all (in early aluminium airframes if often hadn't and some artist impressions of bi-colour camo are probably a mistaken interpretation of extensive chipping!); whether alclad coating had been applied (Japanese importation of Alclad slowed dramatically quite early in the war however - last import of Alclad mid-1940) - which slowed corrosion but possibly not 'chipping'; and whether the type of corrosion had started between the paint and the airframe or at exposed metal surfaces - there are several types of corrosion possible. It is highly likely that many planes were inspected daily and cleaned and treated as appropriate (Tom's point I think). Aluminium alloys corrode faster in salt air, relatively pure aluminium (as with alclad coating) may be much more stable - in such cases structural weakening can be relatively slow to develop, so treatments can be different and might include paint stripping and polishing with abrasives (which, I am guessing could also look like chipping?). Did any alclad make it onto prototypes or mass built Rufes? Very difficult to know definitively. So, there are a wide number of variables in play here. Not least that planes painted green 'in the field' (perhaps like this one) were much more likely to chip/peel than glossy grey versions. What would be seen underneath the peeling/chipping (and what can be gleaned from B/W photos - a science in itself) is also relatively tough call with ever more variables (the primer was also a red-brown colour, rust-like). Salt crust can also be washed off to some extent - so the amount of rain experienced is yet another factor. Constant freshwater on a plane would again change the weathering. Then there is the age of the paint, 'Chalking' and thermal effects to take into account. Other corrosion coatings were also used. I commented earlier that Louis' build looks great and the techniques are wonderfully well executed. I totally stick by that. I'm not currently convinced that there is a definitive answer as to whether more 'chipping' (peeling) would occur or whether a more corroded look would be appropriate in all cases. A blend of both is plausible, and it is probably quite safe to say that there is a significant difference between green and grey painted aircraft? I have added some Rufe pictures, which are not Midway related, to stimulate the discussion!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent questions...and some very cool photos you have posted.

When I built my model of the Rufe that you have linked above, I really didn't know that much about WW2 Japanese aircraft paint and the various colors they used in general.

Tom Cleaver was 100 percent correct about bare aluminum metal and salt water. They don't get along too well. If you want to get rid of some magnesium, simply place it in salt water. It will disintegrate into nothing in no time flat... airplanes use magnesium in construction along with aluminum.

My understanding so far with the Rufe and the A6M-2 Zero is that they had a reddish colored primer paint over the bare aluminum. This red primer can be seen in this Zero photograph below.

If you look closely at this picture of a derelict Zero that is on display on top of a pole at Keita Memorial Park, in Papua New Guinea, it looks like there is some red primer starting break through the "Ame-Iro" top coat of paint, which has now faded to an almost white color.

"Ame-Iro" (or Caramel color) which is pretty close to WW2 German RLM 02, has been described by others as being very close to FS 16350, or FS 34201. These color conclusions were made using a Federal Standards book for comparison during the viewing relic parts of Japanese planes from the Pearl Harbor attack. Some of these parts were very well preserved and had not been exposed to sunlight too often.

I have a FS color book and used it during my Midway build on the "Koga" or "Akutan Zero".

http://imodeler.com/groups/75th-anniversary-battle-of-midway-group-build/forum/topic/tamiya-148-scale-mitsubishi-a6m2-zero-as-flown-by-petty-officer-1st-class-koga/

Here's a few pictures from my Federal standards paint color book showing the color chips that closely resemble "Ame-Iro". I wish the lighting was better to show the color more accurately. You can look at various pictures of my Koga Zero build here on the Midway Group build to see the colors in different lighting.

FS34201

FS16350

By Midway, many of the Japanese planes were over painted in darker greens on the upper surfaces.

This may be where the paint peeling comes into play. From what I can tell, the original Ame-Iro or Caramel color that these planes left the factory in was very durable. The problem with re painting is this:

If you don't have a proper preparation of the surface, (lightly sanding and making sure no oil of any kind is present) the top coat paint will not stick to the base very well. So during a wartime situation, I'm sure that the prep work was not as precise as it could have been under better environmental conditions.

I think that some of the paint peeling may have revealed the under color which was Ame-Iro and would have looked much lighter due to the color contrasts.

Later in the war, particularly the end, most Japanese planes were delivered in bare metal finishes and were camouflaged in the field. This is where you really start to see paint peeling come more prevalent.

Here's a color photo I found that shows derelict Japanese planes awaiting the scrap man just after the War had ended... Here again, there is a Zero in the foreground. This time it is a later model Zero, a dash 5 version. At this point in the war, shortages could have alleviated the use of some primer paints too.

In this picture of the A6M-5, the paint peeling has revealed something that looks like bare metal without primer underneath.

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions. I think this is an excellent thread by the way.

Maybe we can all add some of our research here ?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 1 month ago:

I'm no expert by any stretch, but my observations for the carrier aircraft involved in the operations around Midway Island would be that the weathering on Japanese aircraft would be very slight. The aircraft aboard the American carriers is a more mixed bag. For the Hornet and Enterprise the Wildcats and SBD's would be virtually new aircraft, their TBD's however would be showing 6 months hard if well cared for use, e.g. paint starting to fade etc. For the Yorktown, it's a whole different can of worms. When the Yorktown reached Pearl Harbor, Air Group 5, less Bombing 5, was put ashore and replaced with Saratoga's Air Group 3 less Scouting 3. Air Group 3 had been preforming patrol duties around Hawaii after Saratoga returned to the States to have torpedo damage repaired. Bombing 5 was re-designated Scouting 5 and, as I understand it, brought up to strength with aircraft from the original Scouting 5. The photos that have survived of Yorktown SBD's show fairly worn and faded paint. I'm pretty confident that Bombing 3 already had "new-ish" SBD-3's drawn out of Hawaiian Depot stocks and would be showing some weathering, call it in between Scouting 5's hard used planes and VB-6's showroom finishes, Torpedo 3's TBD's I don't believe would be as weathered as VT-6 & VT-8's aircraft, since they had been shore based for most of 1942. As for Fighting 3's F4F-4's I'm going to go with my best guess that they would have a mix of lightly used and new aircraft, lightly used because the F4F-4 was just reaching the Fleet and VF-3 being at Pearl Harbor would get them early on and new aircraft because just before Midway Carrier fighter squadrons were increased from 18 to 27 aircraft. So all of this and .50¢ won't buy you a bottle of paint but I've read everything thing I could get my hands on about Midway, concentrating mostly on the USS Yorktown and the SBD's. So I put this out in the spirit of discussion and sharing "knowledge" and I hope those who may know more or have more accurate information will chime in as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks both, lots to think about. Rick that is some brilliant info about relative age/use and wear of planes on the American carriers. Is your take on the Japanese planes based on relatively little use?

• Profile Photo

Hi Paul,

My take on the appearance of the Japanese carrier aircraft is admittedly conjecture based on several things, the high quality of paint and level of finish on IJN aircraft at that point in the war, the high quality of the maintenance personnel aboard, and the high level of esprit de corps in the Kido Butai. The IJN carrier fleet had been in frequent hard fighting from the first day of the Pacific War, but the Kaga, Akagi, Hiryu, & Soryu were the 1st & 2nd Carrier Divisions and were the "Cream of the cream" of Japanese Naval Aviation, and at the risk of "stereotyping" if there was ever an outfit where perfection was the minimum standard it would have been the "Killing Sword" of the Imperial Fleet in 1942.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Rick, great summation of the spirit of the IJN force headed to invade Midway. They had cut a wide swath thru the ABDACOM and anticipated doing more. Yamamoto warned them about victory disease and American resolve, they weren't listening. This was the high point of their rampage thru the Pacific, so things were in a high state of police, as we used to say in the Old Army. A lot of the folks manning their carriers and aircraft were prewar professionals, and the IJN had a reputation for hard realistic training and discipline.

• Profile Photo

Bernard, you're right about the "victory disease" blinkering their thinking about the quality of the U.S. Navy. I don't remember where I read it but after Coral Sea, the scuttlebutt in the ready rooms was that if "the sons of concubines", the aircrews of CarDiv 5, could sink one fleet carrier just think what "legitimate sons" will do. Ignored and possibly deliberately suppressed was the fact that the "hapless Americans" had sunk one carrier, put another in the repair yard for months and decimated the air group of a third. It was "Shattered Sword" that finally resolved for me the question of why the Shōkaku's air group wasn't embarked on Zuikaku to get her back in the fight, just as Saratoga's air group was sent aboard Yorktown. Turned out that all those years that we assumed that the IJN carriers operated much the same as the USN, we couldn't have been more wrong. Unlike US Carriers were the air groups were complete units with pilots, crew, maintenance, & support staff which where effectively "super cargo" aboard whatever ship they were on, in the IJN the air group was part of ship's company just like engineering or gunnery, and couldn't just be sent lock stock and barrel to another ship. To my mind it would have been simply a matter of transferring aircraft and aircrew and possibly some support personnel to replace any casualties, maybe 3-400 people total. As air minded as ADM Yamamoto was one would have thought he would have seen this as a way to get a fifth fleet carrier into the fight, but fortunately the need wasn't perceived, or if it was, the inertia that was becoming apparent in the IJN command & staff could not be overcome.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Rick, never thought about some of the points you raised. Kinda hidebound as regards redeploying IJN air groups. Their training, while excellent, didn't keep up with or plan for attrition.
    I also wonder about "face". Hide or in no way acknowledge defeat or setbacks. The emporer is god, so if you fall short, you're a sinner.
    Not a good situation in an all out war.

• Profile Photo

Bernard, I think with your mention of "face" that you've touched on the intangibles that make this such a fascinating battle. New information especially from newly translated Japanese sources, that have changed completely our understanding of the conduct of the battle, to some extent why things happened as they did. Likewise critical analysis of the actions of some of the American Commanders during and after the battle leaves little doubt that some careers that should have been ended were allowed to continue or advanced even in the face of continuing mediocrity. No Names, No Pack Drill

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that reply Rick - it is a very well thought out and persuasive rationale. The conversation between Bernard and yourself certainly paints an interesting picture of the cultures in play during the action at Midway - thanks both!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 years, 1 month ago:

the ansswer to the weathering is, "it depends." On Enterprise, the SBD-3s of VB-6 wre brand new two months out of the factory when they arrived on Ford Island. Dick Best told me "they were the cleanest airplanes I ever flew in the Navy." VS-6's SBD-3s on the other hand had been operational since the January raids, and would have been sunfaded, though the maintenance crews would have been sure to keep paint on any aluminum dings. Same for VT-6's TBD-1s they'd been using for a year. VF-6's F4F-4s had arrived in the squadron just before the Tokyo raid and would have been almost as clean as the SBD-3s in VB-6.

Yorktown's scratch air group would have been airplanes that had "been around."

Hornet's air group was still pretty much "peacetime clean," they hadn't seen a lot of use on the Doolittle Raid.

The airplanes of Kido Butai would have been very well maintained. the paint used at that time was very resistant to salt-air corrosion, the Zekes and Vals and Kates would have still been mostly satin-glossy and no dings.

The airplanes in the photo above are all 1945, and are all post 1943 (at the oldest) and would have been as poorly maintained as they look. They look nothing like what the Midway airplanes would have looked like.

HTH

• Profile Photo

Everything that has been discussed above about Japanese paints is for items during the war. The Kido Butai airplanes were almost all pre-war, or constructed and maintained to pre-war standards.

• Profile Photo

That's a very accurate analysis above, Rick (it helps it's similar to mine 🙂 )

• Profile Photo

Rick- masterful analysis on all your points. One has to "know the story" to come up with an understanding of what things would have looked like from their use.

• Profile Photo

One other thought - the Marine airplanes were clapped out. the F2As had been there since December 20 1941, baking away in the sun and the salt air. Same for the Vindicators (their fabric was coming loose, they hadn't been in great shape when they arrived). The SBD-2s were all VB-6's cast-offs from Enteprise's early actions and would have "been around." Same for the F4F-3s.