The Macrobertson racers - collecting and building them

Started by Gábor Szabó · 9 · 7 years ago · air race, collecting, diorama, golden age, macrobertson, pictures
  • Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 6 months ago:

I'm in a middle of a "heroic" effort to collect, convert and build all of the Marrobertson air race participants. As these mainly rare objects I choosed the smaller (1:72) scale - as a long long term project I intend to make a module system diorama with them that would be not exact copy of Mildenhall but to "feel the mood" of the event (using comtemporary photos for this - but this really far from today. First I like to make an "enumeration" on the kits those are available for the project. Also I'd like to collect sites, sources dedicated to the Macrobertson Trophy or the history of the individual planes or their pilots.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Williams Bros. for the Boeing 247, DH racers from either Airfix or Frog. I remember a DC-2, but not who made it.

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Hi! Yes, I have these. I plan a mini review serie about these kits. There were 20 participants (21 if You name the disqualified "Irish Swoop" Bellanca 28). I collected many of them through the years in my stash and more to come. I have the Boeing, the three comets (two Airfixes and an excellent SBS), Special Hobby DC-2, Contrail Pander S4 (vacform), Gee Bee QED (strachbuilt), Miles Hawk H2 Mayor (strachbuilt - in progress), Heller DH.89 Dragon Rapide (converted), Kora Desoutter II, Planet Models Monocoupe 90 (to convert into Lambert Monocoupe 110), RS Models Airspeed Envoy to convert into Airspeed Viceroy, and another one of this kit to convert into a single engined Airspeed Courier, MPM Lockheed Vega (the decals are wrong 🙁 ), Doujin Bellanca 28.3 (it is so bad actually that I will make a strachbuilt one instead), Pegasus Fairey Fox. There are some plane that missing: a British Klemm, a DH Puss Moth, and a Miles Sparrowhawk,

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 5 months ago:

This is where You can go when You want the Comets of the Macrobertson: Airfix, Frog/NOVO (OOP), SBS, Heritage all in 1:72. In 1:48 Heritage the only game in town (horrible, just for experienced mazochist, don't ask how I know) which is a remake of a resin kit from early 80's and 1:32 the OOP and very expensive Aerotech.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

How's your Japanese? http://www.oranjeexpress.com/2016/10/13/%E7%9A%87%E5%AE%B6%E4%B9%8B%E7%BF%BC%E7%9A%87%E5%AE%B6%E8%8D%B7%E8%98%AD%E8%88%AA%E7%A9%BA%E5%85%AC%E5%8F%B8%E7%9A%84%E7%99%BE%E5%B9%B4%E5%A5%AE%E9%AC%A54-%E5%A2%A8%E7%88%BE%E6%9C%AC%E5%9C%8B/

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

George, is that a poster? If not, it should be. What a beaut!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Can't say for sure as my Japanese is as good as my Venusian. It came from a Google Image search which took me to the link posted above and I agree, it's a beauty

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Those three Airfix red box versions are all the same kit, right?

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years ago:

Hi Craig! Exactly the same old (50's) kit 🙂 A real "living fossil", eh 😀 ?