WWII US Roundel Colors

Started by Matt Minnichsoffer · 6 · 6 years ago · Aviation, Roundels, US, wing insignia, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I wanted to start painting some wing insignia's rather than decal, but i'm having a hard time finding the correct blue color for the roundels. Any thoughts? I usually spray Vallejo Model Air paints.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Matt,
    the official color for the blue areas is FS35044, commonly known as "Insignia Blue". Depending on the paint manufacturer, it might be called "Signal Blue" (Vallejo Model Air 71.091), or just "Blue" (Gunze H326).
    Don't know about the Vallejo's accuracy, but I was rather happy with the Gunze color's look - the markings on this Navy Sopwith Camel are painted using their Blue and Insignia Red H327.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Others here can specify the exact date, but at some point in 1944 (I think) the US Navy adopted an all-blue paint scheme. Then the insignia was just the star and the 2 bars. Obviously, any USAAF aircraft in silver or camouflage still retained the blue background.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks much. I was assuming Vallejo 71.091, but wanted to throw it out to the group. BTW-nice Camel. Rigging looks really good.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Boris, fine looking Camel. Which grey did you use? Where did you find the decals for the side serial number?

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks guys. Running the risk of hijacking Matt's thread here... 😀 Bernard, the grey I used is Gunze FS36231 (H317). Couldn't figure out what exact color was used back then, so I went with a resaonable guestimate of something haze-greyish. The side serial is a custom mask I created by analyzing some grainy pictures and drawing a template, then cutting it on my Silhouette cutter.