1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks David for the kind words. I hope you start feeling better soon. I am finally getting out of the woods with this bronchitis / cold we have. I'm starting to feel better now so I got back out in the Wurger Werks "Werke Shop.

There I ran into a little snag with the main wheels. As I was painting the tire portion, the overspray (from when I painted the center hubs black), started to peel off under the tire color I was painting. This was probably caused by the amount of paint thinner I had mixed into the color. So I ended up using a paint brush dipped in thinner to remove the offending overspray.

Here's what I ended up with after the overspray was removed. You can see the difference. The wheel that is ready for painting the tire is on the right side. The untouched example is on the left.

Plus I have been trying to find a photo of Dickfeld's "Double Chevron" plane. So far the search has come up empty handed. I know that originally I had planned on building Rudorffer's "Yellow 1" plane, and I may have to fall back to the original plan.

I hope that Andreas will be OK with this.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Louis, with this build group we all just do the best we can. It sounds like you are building a true gem. We've already made the case for duplicates, so (although Andreas can speak for himself) I do not see an issue.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hello Gents,

Here are some shots 'borrowed' from Smith and Creek 'FW 190' (Volume 1). In that volume it states that very little by way of photographic record made it back from Tunisia - hence your lack of luck finding any I guess, Louis.

This first shot is an unspecified A4 in representative makings, in Tunisia - by that stage the camo was uniform 'sand over blue'. The only thing of real note is the positioning of the recognition markings - white bands below the wing and on the fuselage. Luckily the Luftwaffe used simple enough numbering, plain yellow with no bordering. This plane may have retained a yellow underside to the front cowl and a yellow rudder - as in European schemes.

This second shot is Yellow 1 - a member of the air crew is in the cockpit - not a very revealing shot - and maybe in some elements of European camo despite being in Africa.

Hope this helps a little!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Paul ! These pictures are excellent. Thanks for posting them ! I sincerely appreciate this.

The top picture is supposedly of the plane flown by the Kommander of 4 / JG 2, Kurt Buhligen while in Tunisia. He was the top scoring Wuger pilot in the North African Campaign. He scored 40 victories from November 1943 through March 1943, when the unit returned to Europe.

His plane was flown as "White 1", and is supposed to be an early A-4 version. If you look close it also lacks the outer wing mounted MG's along with the corresponding bulges under the wings. From the research I have done online, this pane "may" have been left in the original European scheme of RLM 74 / 75 / 76, while having the typical Mediterranean Luftwaffe white fuselage stripe along with the odd underwing stripes added. The "odd" thing about this one is the way the underwing stripes are placed. They are just inboard of the yellow wing tips, which were left intact. From what I found online this stripe did not go on the top side of the wings. Claes Sundin did an excellent rendering of the plane here.

IPMS Stockholm also has a nice article on how the plane was possibly painted. Here's a link to it.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/08/stuff_eng_profile_fw190a4.htm

As far as the second picture showing Rudorffer's machine, "Yellow 1", that may actually be him (Rudorffer) sitting in the cockpit and not one of his ground crew. Here's another photo of Rudorffer showing the similarities.

Several things I noticed about this photo is this is a later production version of the A-4. You can tell by the shutter style cooling slats on the fuselage sides. The earlier A4's had cooling slots that were open at all times and not adjustable. This picture also shows a few other oddities...

Check out the way the over spray is covering the under side color directly under the engine. Just ahead of this is a color that looks like RLM 04 "Yellow" to me, but it could be something else. The forward portion of the cowling, including the oil cooler is a darker color.

Some have stated that later on Rudorffer's machine was over sprayed with a dark green color in a camouflage pattern, similar to this.

Here again you see the white stripes on the wings. This time the artist has them rendered as going on top of the wings, which I do not think is correct.

These are a welcome addition to this build log !

You are absolutely correct. Finding pictures of these planes has been extremely difficult...

Thanks for posting them Paul...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Sure does look like the same guy - could just be the current Luftwaffe haircut trend!

That may well also be the European scheme I was hinting at - interesting that it was used in Africa. I also agree about the white markings - your IPMS link confirms that.

The demarcation between the colours and the tone do seem to suggest yellow. I'm guessing you are considering going for Yellow 1 in its suggested later scheme, different to Andreas, despite being the same plane.

By memory I seem to recall that Rudorffer took over as Group Commander for some time from Dickfeld, when the latter ran into a crater during take off and fractured his skull. I wonder if that finished 'double chevron' or if it was recycled with new markings because Rudorffer used Yellow 1? All conjecture - but it might add weight to the reason there are few if any photos of Dickfeld's plane.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed your posting.

I agree Paul, it does look like the same pilot... haircut and all.

When I first read that most Fw-190 planes were flown in North Africa using the standard European finish of RLM 74 / 75 / 76, I was a little skeptical. The more I dug into this, the more I found out that a Wurger flown in Sandgelb RLM 79 was the exception rather than the rule.

I think you are spot on about the colors in the photo. I think I may stick with building a plane just like the one Andreas is. Simply because I like the colors used, and I have a few pictures to work with now thanks to you... 🙂

The colors of the plane with Rudorffer sitting in the cockpit may actually have some RLM 80 or Italian Verde painted over the top of the RLM79. If you look at the colors on the cowling, it kind of looks like it could. So in essence, this may actually be a picture of Rudorffer's plane after the dark green was applied. The color on the cowling and forward fuselage section is a dark color that looks almost like the propeller and spinner. From what I have read, these last two items were routinely painted in RLM 70 Black Green. But this is the hard part about determining colors from Black and White photos... 🙂

Yes, you are correct about Rudorffer becoming a Group Commander. It happened just as you stated, when Dickfeld was seriously injured when he ran into a bomb crater with his FW. There is supposed to be a photo showing the twisted plane after the accident. From what I have read, it doesn't sound like the airframe would have been salvaged since it was so badly damaged. From what others have stated about the photograph, you can barely make out any markings.

Because of this, I have been wondering... Once Rudorffer took over as Commander from Dickfeld, did he have a "Double Black Chevron" painted on his plane, or did he continue to fly with "Yellow 1" ?

Many Luftwaffe Aces (such as Otto Kittel for example) flew planes that were inconspicuously marked, so as not to draw attention from Allied fighters. Rudorffer may have done the same.

I really would love to see the picture of Dickfeld's plane after it ran into the crater... or any of his plane for that matter. So far I have struck out.

Thanks again Paul, for the comments and for providing the pictures. They really help a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Well, Louis I'm trying - this is apparently footage from some of Dickfeld's home movies from Tunisia - not that they are helpful to this question - just interesting!

http://www.archiv-akh.de/filme/175#1

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

What a great finding Paul, the film has certain interesting aspects, mostly human but also from machines point of view, namely during its first half.

It seems that it covers the move of the entire Gruppe from southern France down to Africa. The white bands on the wings could be a left-over of the markings luftwaffe units wore when Hitler decided to occupy all Vichy territories (southern France).

Also, it does look like all sported the 74/75/76 scheme one way or another, supporting various sources I also read about. Anyway this is an exciting subject to build !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Agreed Pedro about 74/75/76, with only a minority of planes getting a coat of 79 in theatre apparently. The black double chevron is interesting. Apparently there does exist a photo of the plane Dickfeld flipped, but it is too damaged/obscured to see markings. It’s amazing - all of those ‘artists impressions’ but no photos!

Louis, I’m sure you have read tons here. But I’m coming round to your way of thinking. That oft-drawn scheme might not be realistic. For me the only evidence from photo/film suggests that the rlm 79 may not have been applied by the time of the crash.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Paul, thanks for posting he film. Fascinating, interesting details.

• Profile Photo

Paul this is fascinating stuff ! And it's exactly what I was looking for. I watched the video several times, and paused it when the FW's were in the back ground. I was able to make some very interesting finds... some of which "may" have been missed by others.

Check these out. These are stills I took using my phone as I was watching the video. I also zoomed into a few to show more details that may have otherwise been missed.

To begin with, The very first thing that caught my eye was the white stripe on TOP of the wing ! This plane in the fore ground, (of which part of the wing and a portion of the cross is visible) also appears to be a light shade of a monotone color, possibly even RLM 79 Sandgelb.

Every other FW in this video appears to be RLM 74 /75 76 just as I anticipated. This agrees with what I have read.
    This picture shows Werk Number "2287" which has what look like several victory bars on the rudder. This plane also looks like it has the earlier style of camouflage consisting of RLM /74/75/76, with the 76 extending up the sides as most early Wurgers did.

This next picture is from the same plane if I am not mistaken. It looks like a "Black 1" or possibly "Red 1". If I was a betting man I would go with "Black One"...

The fuselage side number has been re painted over a previously painted number, (or the Focke Wulf factory applied radio codes). You can see the difference in colors behind the numeral "1"

This is an interesting shot showing the undersides of the nose on a FW... The yellow is visible on the access panel beneath the engine. It doesn't appear to cover the oil cooler ring.

Here's a VERY interesting photo. I learned something here that many have missed. It looks like the rudders that were previously painted yellow, were later repainted in a darker color. At this time, the fuselage crosses were also toned down. This is a feature I found on numerous planes throughout the video. This is another view of a plane wearing the number "1". The white fuselage band covers part of the Gruppe marking which is a horizontal bar.

In this picture, the FW looks as if most of the sides have been toned down as well. Another possibility is the sides of the fuselage are just dirty with exhaust staining. German aircraft were known for the black exhaust soot. I have read this was caused by Germans frequently using coal to make a synthetic fuel and Oil. Coal is black, so is the exhaust residue. Plus they may not have used Tetra Ethyl Lead as the US did. The Lead caused a light Tan almost a Grayish shade of exhaust soot in US planes.

This close up shows the same plane from a different section of the film. Here again you can see just how dark the sides of the fuselage is, and how the rudder has been painted over...

Here is a color photo that was a part of various color films in the video. Here again you can see the toned down markings and rudder, along with the white fuselage stripe and front portion of the spinner. This plane also has a white stripe UNDER the wing...and no yellow on the outer wing tips as often depicted. This plane clearly has yellow visible under the engine.

Here's where I zoomed in on the same photo. We are lucky as this was part of the color film.

Here is another color photo. Here you can clearly see how the yellow rudder has been over painted. This may be the same A3 variant as shown in the picture above.

As has the rudder on this plane in the back ground of this picture. If you look really close, you will see a white stripe under the wing, and no yellow outer wing tip.

and this one may have the same markings too... It's sitting under what looks like a camouflage net. But it really hard to tell for sure on this plane.

In this picture, you can see how much the fuselage cross has been over painted... when it was toned down. If they spent this much time and effort to tone the brighter markings down, I would venture to say that at this point in time, they painted over the white stripes on TOP of the wings as well. It would not make sense if they did not and left the stripes visible on the top side of the wings. That is a guess on my part, and possibly confirmed with picture number #12.

If you look very close, this also may be a picture of "Black One". There is a partial number visible in the center left of this photo. It is showing just above the shoulder of the person in the foreground. The color of the number is clearly black... And it looks like the top of a number "One" to me...

Here's a better photo of "Black 1". Notice on this plane, there is no upper wing stripe in white. The rudder has been darkened in the other pictures, as have the side fuselage crosses. This looks like the same plane found in picture #5... Here again you can see just how much of the fuselage cross has been covered. There is a mark on top of the wing that "could" be where the upper wing white stripe was pained over. It could also be where the RLM 74 and 75 meet... a demarcation line between colors if you will. Another possibility could be this is where the upper wing insignia is located.

Now to really get down to details, I would venture to say this is "Black One". My reasons are this... Look at the pattern demonstrated in the fuselage mottling. Just to the right of the number "Black One" you will see a small spot that is darker than the rest of the surrounding mottles. It is present in the other photo of Black one as well. To me this pretty much confirms this is actually "Black One" shown in the photo above...
    You can see this same little dark spot in this photo of "Black One" shown below:

This photo is another view from the other side. Here again, the rudder is dark and not yellow... This plane also has white stripes UNDER the wing.

This last picture shows a Wurger with a "Spiral" on the spinner. It also has no under wing stripes. This plane closer resembles a FW as you would expect to find in Europe.

To sum it up, most of the planes look like they are painted in RLM 74 /75 /76. Most of them have a single under wing white stripe. The all appear to have yellow under the engine cowl. Most (if not all) appear to have the rudder painted in a darker color other than yellow. Many have the fuselage crosses toned down too. All appear to have white on the front tip of the spinner, except for the last, which had a spiral. This last plane also lacks the white under wing stripe, and has a vertical Gruppe bar..

I was able to take a bunch more photos, but these show some of my findings.

Thank you VERY much for providing this link. It's exactly what the doctor ordered !

Now I have a much better understanding of how I am going to paint Rudorffer's plane.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 1 month ago:

All these details are very well observed, Louis, you'd be much better than me at those "spot the difference" exercises.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George ... I'm really not that good at it. I spent a lot of time researching this one, so it helps me to know what to look for in the photos, that's all.

Tonight was spent mostly working on the BP Defiant kit which is a part of the 100 Years of the RAF group build.

However I did manage to get a little more work done on several of the Wurgers.

I was cleaning up the seams and sanding down the areas that were glued together. One is ready to paint now and the other three are getting closer.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Rezac said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I am watching this assembly line build with great interest as I will likely be doing the same very shortly. Can’t wait to see paint on the models.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Outstanding work, Lou! I admire the way you've researched in depth. These FWs are top notch & I look forward to the completion.

Great job, Bud!