1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

Fantastic work Louis! Some great schemes in progress and all the masking and tape use look familiair.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments on the work so far.

Tonight I made a little more progress. I readied the clear parts for paint.

All I need to do now is to mask them off and we should be able to spray them.

Bernard to answer your question.

As best as I can tell, all of the A-1, A-2 planes were painted in RLM 71 / 02 / 65 colors. The early A-3's and possibly all of the A-3's manufactured by Focke Wulf, ( not a licensed built plane) also had the same colors.

The RLM 74 / 75 / 76 that we typically see on mid war Luftwaffe planes was used starting with the A-4 version.

Hope this answers your question. Hopefully tomorrow I can get more done.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Louis, I was hoping! I didn't know there was such a scheme until recently, though it makes sense to me. Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Over the weekend I got some more work done on the canopies.

First thing was to finish the masking in preparation for painting.

Then I gave everything a coat of RLM 66. If you look closely you can see that there are five canopies and four windscreens. I have not decided what to use for the plane I want to build as one flown by Otto Kittel. I want to build his plane as an A-8 from JG 54, and have been leaning towards the standard canopy and not the blown one.

Then I sprayed some RLM 71 on the early A-3

I will come back with some RLM 65 and touch up the mottling a little.

And I gave the entire upper surface of the A-8 the same treatment. I didn't want to get complete coverage so it is light in some places.

This last one is going to be the "Otto Kittel" plane.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years ago:

Louis, is this the 190 from Otto Kittel you are doing, or is it another one?

That A-3 camo made me remind me my first build from Tamiya’s (then) new kit, made with the markings from J.Münchenberg, for which I used a patch of various decal sources to create it.
    Your build proves that this kit still holds good against the test of time, especially in able hands like yours

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hey Pedro !
    Yes that's the plane I want to build. However I have done some research on this one and it is listed as an A-7 and not an A-8 (which is the version that I built).

I was fortunate enough to find the majority of the differences between the A-7 and the A-8 online where this picture was located.

I have a few more Tamiya Fw-190 A-8's in the stash,

(and an older Pro Modeler / Dragon Fw-190 G). These are the only remaining unbuilt radial engine Focke Wulf kits I have left. The others have been built or are in the process of being built at the moment.

It would be easier to simply build another one and backdate it to an A-7. This is especially true since I have already glued the ETC rack in place in the forward position.

So now the hunt is back on for a cool looking / unusual scheme preferably from JG 54, or an "Experten" mount that was an A-8.

Meanwhile, I have almost finished up this one.

A few more little things like adding the inboard gun barrels, some exhaust staining, and this one should be finished...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Louis,
    That’s a piece of bad news... I saw that the image had the plane listed as an A-7 but didn’t give it much credit, since it’s often wrong and misleading labeling. However if you are convinced it was in fact that version and not the A-8... hope you find another subject to fit that model, but I’d say it’s no easy task. I’ll look at my small library and see if I can spot any useful image to help you with that.
    The A-4 is begging for some nice weathering, looks great

• Profile Photo

Louis, only some hard core FW afficianado is gonna know the difference. I also wonder if, at das ende, airframes were being recycled (ahem) willy nilly by subcontractors and depots , as it were. There was a War on, what? Patchwork paint AND aircraft parts. And maybe cannibalization at the squadron level, to boot.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

There was a War on, what?

Bernie, as usual you bring the right mix of knowledge and horse sense insight to the table that brings welcome relief to the hobby (burden?) we have taken upon ourselves. The vastness of the War, the wide variance of materiel and contexts, the particulars of pilots and ground crews--all of these make the kind of precision some argue for elusive at best.

Louis, the planes you are building represent something--they are not the thing itself. Everyone has to work out for themselves what a satisfactory representation is. I, for my part, am amazed by your work.

• Profile Photo

David, thanks! Replicate, NOT duplicate, as we say in my IPMS chapter. Louis, drive on! You da man!

• Profile Photo

"Replicate NOT duplicate." Now there's a keeper for ya...

• Profile Photo

Bernard and David, your words are on what all of us should have, and that’s realistic common sense. Perfection is the enemy of pleasure in this hobby, and like the dark side we all know we can be easily driven to it, but in the end it’s not and should not be the aim. I like that replicate not duplicate motto, quite right!
    So Louis, never mind the bomb rack being a few millimetres forward or whatever, no one will notice except you 😉

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years ago:

I had never enunciated it quite so concisely, but "Replicate not duplicate" has been my motto for decades! Now I know! Love the work Louis - keep 'em coming!

• Profile Photo

Perfection is the enemy of pleasure in this hobby, and like the dark side we all know we can be easily driven to it...

Pedro, more stellar wisdom! My modeling brothers are philosophers! Louis is a mensch in these matters, and revels in the research. Each man must determine that line for himself; maybe it's a maturity thing (I know that I want to be just like Louis when I grow up). Power to das Würgermeister!

• Profile Photo

Wow gentlemen ! What a reception !

You guys made my day. I think we may have stumbled upon the makings of another Imodeler T shirt. Replicate not Duplicate !

Pedro you have made me think which sometimes can be scary. 🙂

It's possible that the plane illustrated is not an A-7 variant. I have not seen enough of the pictures to make an accurate assessment. As a rule however, that particular artist has done a lot of homework/ research than most and is reasonably accurate with his illustrations.

I did find out that Otto Kittel was shot down and killed after combat with Il-3 Stormovichs. Kittel's wingman reportedly saw a flash or possibly flame inside the cockpit after a rear gunner from an Il-3 opened fire upon his plane at an altitude of about 450 feet. The plane hit the ground wing tip first.

If someone here is fluent with translation from German to English it would really be cool to know exactly what is stated in this report. I was able to pick out a few words.

Amazingly they may have found the crash site several years ago. Apparently Kittel's body was recovered and buried nearby during the War.

The Fw-190 he was flying at the time was an A-8 version. There is a werk number listed with it loss. I have verified the number on two different websites. It's listed as a Fw-190 A-8, "black 1" with Werk Number 690-282 or 960-282 with the first two digits reversed.

Either way I may just take up some "artistic license" and built it as the A-8, "black 1".

Meanwhile the Rudorffer plane is finally finished.

Here's a few pictures for you.

I hope that I can get the article posted in a few days.