1/48 Tamiya Fw-190 A4 , JG 2 Nord Afrika

Started by Louis Gardner · 161 · 5 years ago · 1/48, FW-190, Kasserine Pass, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

This is just great work, Louis--beautifully done and dutifully researched. These stories grip you for sure: this skilled ace should have died in a dogfight with an equal, gallantly exchanging maneuvers in some sort of aerial epic worthy of a song. Instead, he is dispatched unceremoniously by the nameless rear gunner of the Sturmovik, fighting in an ill-advised, fruitless campaign. There's a lesson in there for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Louis, congratulations on Rudorffer's Butcherbird - it is absolutely spectacular! I can't wait to see the article!

Picking up Bernie's point, between Feb and May '44, 'Lieferplan 225' detailed the building of 1,950 A8s. Focke Wulf would build less than half - 760; Ago 668; Fieseler 510; and Arge Roland 12. Add to this the fact that there were at least 12 'Rustatz' (R) conversion sets produced, and then throw in field maintenance, and I think you be able to argue the placement of armament on most planes in this era. Many 'expertens' had their aircraft customised anyway. Adolf Galland's cigar-lighter enhanced 109 is probably my favourite, but more often they chose personal specs for armament.

Interestingly the photo that goes with the artist's impression in Pedro's post, when used in 'Focke Wulf FW190 Vol 3, Smith and Creek' is captioned:

"Kittel is shown here addressing fellow pilots at Riga-Skulte in Latvia on 23 June 1944. At this time he had been promoted to Leutnant and appointed as Staffelfuhrer of 3./JG 54. The aircraft in the background is his FW 190 A-8 'Yellow 1'."

I love your attention to detail!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Agreed, David. This is a compelling watch, Louis - I wish I had the discipline to stick with modeling on my builds but I'm afraid my brain needs to go 'off piste'. As my dear wife would say, I need "to get out more".
    I just love 'Yellow 1' - something in the tightness of the build and crisp paintwork that just seems to 'pop'.
    Keep 'em comin' Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Hello David T.
    One would normally expect a great Ace such as Kittel would perish in a manner that you described. Saburo Sakai almost ended up the same way when he was almost shot down by the rear seater in a Dauntless SBD. Instead he ended up blind in one eye.

Thanks Paul for the additional information on the pictures. I'm going to build up the A-8 as one of Kittel's planes, now I have to decide if it will be black 1 or yellow 1. Decisions decisions. You're correct with your statement on how these planes were modified. Especially when you take into consideration all of the field modifications that were available.

Thanks David LS. I am very pleased with how the Rudorffer plane turned out. I'm glad that you liked it too and have been following along with the builds.

• Profile Photo

I didn't get much done on any of the builds over the weekend. Other things got in the way.

But I did manage to get something done with on the early A-3. I touched up the edges between the RLM 02 and RLM 71. Then I also got the mottling to where I am pleased with how it looks.

So as soon as I get the exhaust panel painted black this one will be ready for decals and final assembly.

Meanwhile here's a few more pictures.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years ago:

My only comment is carry on Louis, I’m here thinking this A-3 is even better looking than the desert A-4. Great paint work

• Profile Photo

Thanks Pedro !

This afternoon I got some more work done on the Wurgers.

I painted the exhaust panels...

Then sprayed on several good coats of Future in preparation for the decals.

I improvised a drying fixture. I used a small wooden tooth pick and inserted it into the poly cap located in the engine.

This is where the propeller would normally go. Then I shoved the pointed end of the toothpick into a piece of styrofoam that I saved just for this purpose.

It held the plane nicely as the "Future" dried.

I'm going to let it set up overnight and hopefully tomorrow some decals will get added.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

These posts are so helpful, Louis, and make their point by chronicling the production of simply beautiful works of art.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Respectfully, Pedro, 'Yellow 1' is the cat's pyjamas.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gents ! I'm glad you find these helpful and I am really pleased with how these have been turning out so far...

Tonight I got a lot done on the A2 / A3 flown by Hans "Assi" Hahn...
    I added the kit supplied decals... surprisingly enough, even though these were very old (dated at 1994) they worked well...

Then I sprayed the plane with a coat of "Dull Coat" from a rattle can. I sprayed the bottom first and let it dry...

Then flipped it over and sprayed the top side. Once this all dried sufficiently, I added the landing gear and propeller...

It is sitting overnight, propped up on paint bottles.

Hopefully tomorrow I can install the canopy sections and add the antennae lead cable. A little dusting and this one will be done too...

The "Iron Werks" had a good day today. Almost two "Wurgers" done now, two more to complete...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Two down and two more to go ...

Hans' plane is completed now... I really like the "early" scheme of RLM 02/71/65. It just looks menacing.

Here it is sitting besides Rudorffer's machine...

in a slightly different pose...

Hopefully I can get them posted in a few more days...

As usual,
    "Comments are encouraged"...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Down at the Wurger Werks! Gorgeous pair of FW-190s.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks Bernard ! I'm hoping to add a third one to the "completed" section very soon...

Today I got some work done on the JG-54 A-8 plane. Please follow along and I'll explain the steps.

There is a lot of debate about which colors were used by JG-54. I went the common sense approach...I painted the upper surfaces with RLM 70 and 71, since these are colors that were available. Granted we will probably never know exactly what colors were used...

Here the plane is drying after I sprayed on a coat of "Future". I used a wooden toothpick and pushed it in place of the prop shaft. The other end was shoved into the Styrofoam board and supported the model as it dried.

I left the undersides in the original RLM 76.

Here's how the sides look at this point.

Once it had dried sufficiently, I masked off the areas that were going to be yellow...
    and promptly painted them white to use as a base for the yellow.

Here is a look at the plane from underneath. You can see the wing tips, fuselage band, under the engine and lower portion of the rudder have all been painted white now.

This is a close up of the cowling after it was sprayed too.

While the white paint was drying, I cleaned the air brush. By the time this was done, it was dry enough to spray on some yellow...

Here's how it looked after the masking was removed...

a close up of the fuselage side... if you look close enough, you will see where the yellow bled underneath the tape in one small place. I ended up having to re spray some of the green in order to touch it up.

The landing gear and canopy are ready for installation now. I will wait until later on before I install the parts.

Then I gave the whole plane another coat of Future to prep it for decals.

So it went back on the drying rack...

The other side...

The underneath...

and topside...

Maybe tomorrow I can finish this one up.

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Really looks good! Excellent painting.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Louis, fantastic progress! What mix do you use for Future? What is the dilution rate? Do you clean the airbrush with alcohol afterwards?