1/35 Tamiya M-4 Sherman ”Early Production” 1st Armored Division, Kasserine Pass

Started by Louis Gardner · 57 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ah, Louis, you are a model making animal. I just cannot believe your output at this level. The thing is that your enthusiasm never wanes and every post exudes passion and a clear love for what you are doing. I am at once inspired and frustrated. No, scratch that, just inspired.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Ditto that, David. "Ironworks" is right. I mean, come on! Amazing productivity and quality...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, this is coming along nicely. Love them decals!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. You are some wonderful coaches and I appreciate this very much.
    Last night I managed to get some more done on the old girl... The crew members are not finished yet... and I need to add the radio antennae, and some dirt / dust.

comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Dirt and dust on a tank! Say it ain't so Louis. Looking good buddy.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom.

This one is taking a little while longer to finish than I expected.

I spent more time on the.050 caliber MG. I found a decal for the ammo box and applied it.

The bare metal foil turned out pretty good representing the brass casings.

I painted the bullets with copper and gave the weapon a little graphite rub down. After posting the pictures I have noticed that I have to touch up one tiny spot where I got some copper paint on the ammunition box cover.

I may also attempt drilling out the end of the barrel.

Then I went through the spare parts bin and located some things that should look OK on the rear deck once painted. I test fit everything and have a plan worked out for the final location.

I also found a 5 gallon oil can and mounted it on the front slope.

Here's a picture of the stowage for the rear deck.

Then I started painting the final two crewmen. They still need some more work done to them, but the base colors are done.

I still need to add a few things like a .45 holster and a pair of binoculars.

Figures are not my strong point.

But I'm going to give it a good try.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I painted the field bags and glued them in place on the rear deck.

Then I temporarily placed the "Ma Deuce" in position to get a better idea of how I am going to install the crewmen.

Here's how the oil can looks on the front slope.

This is roughly how I want the crewman on the rear deck to be positioned.

The Commander in place. Please keep in mind that these last two crew members are not finished with the painting yet.

The next step was to remove the crewmen and.050 caliber MG in preparation for some desert dusting. Here's how it looks now from the side... Here you can see the staining I added to represent fuel spills by the filler cap. I did this on both sides.

And a picture from the rear of the tank. If you look closely at these last two pictures you can see where I painted some straight OD Green back over the dust. This gives the illusion that the dust has been knocked off by crew traffic. I did this on the front slope and the turret in various locations.

I hope to finish painting the crewmen and this build will be done.

Then I'll post it up soon, possibly sometime tonight.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks for following along with this build.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, Louis, thesis really fantastic work. There's something about armor that lends itself to weathering effects--if one has the skill set for the work. You clearly do. I'm very excited to see how this plays out.

What I find interesting is how the builds are presenting themselves. Sea was first. Air came next, for the most part. Land is coming last. It's all very cool to see.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David ! That is kind of odd how this reveal has worked out. Just as you stated, Sea, Air and now land. Interesting...

I am very pleased with this one. I just finished the model and took some pictures.

Here's a little teaser ...

I'll try to post the article tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Special thanks go out to all of my friends who encouraged me along the way. You all made this build a fun one for me ...

And a big Thank You goes to David Thomas for starting and hosting this wonderful group build.

I'll add a link on here for the article once it's done...

Take care !

Now I have to finish up my Panzer III...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great stuff! Very nice combination this Pz III and Sherman, congratulations Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, that Mk III looks good! The Sherman, likewise. Nice posing of the foes. Two different approaches to the same idea. Great idea!

• Profile Photo

Thanks gentlemen for the compliments. You all have made this a very enjoyable build.

meanwhile, I posted the new article up under the headlines section. Here's a link :

Battle of Kasserine Pass, M-4 Sherman “early” of the 1st Armored Division, Tunisia 1943
    Thanks again for following along with this build !