1/48 Amtech P-40 L ”Lighthouse Louie” 325th FG Tunisia

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good Louis, admire your attempt at painting the checker board pattern. I wouldn't have such patience, I'm confident yours will look great.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I agree with Tom, Louis. You're an inspiration with that checkerboard. Just amazing. I've always wondered how to do that right and you're showing me. I'm very excited to see the final product!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate them.

Yes Chuck, for me the whole nose surgery thing on this one was kind of scary, as I have never done anything this severe with a plastic kit before. Now I am starting to appreciate the efforts, just as you stated.

Tonight's progress...

I wasn't exactly pleased with how the squares were lining up. So I came up with a method that ensures the squares are indeed "square"... along with the placement being squared too.

So I promptly replaced several of the little taped squares... and ended up with this.

Here's the rudder and fin after the "new and improved" masking...

after spraying on some black...

and after the tape was removed.

If enough interest is generated, I can post up a quick "how to" article on how I did this... It's really simple once you break it down.

Merry Christmas everyone, 5 days and counting... (or 4 and a wake up).

...and as usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Decals? We don't need no stinkin decals! Nice job Louis my friend it will look great when finished.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom !

I found this picture and a few others that show the checkers were hand painted on some planes. This picture also shows that the yellow and black checkers were sometimes reversed...

I will have to go back and do a little touch up work in a few spots where the tape wasn't tightly sealed against the surface. I also scratched the black (and the yellow) in a few tiny spots when I removed the tape... oops.

I started with filling in some more on the resin nose area. It's going to take some more filler before it's though...

Calling it a day...

• Profile Photo

I finally completed the "Short Tail" F version today. All of the little bits and detail painted was added. Here's a little sneak preview of what's to come during the reveals...

Have a Merry Christmas everyone !

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Fantastic work, Louis, as always, you've really gone to town with these builds, you thoroughly deserve your Christmas break from the iron works.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George !

Tonight I couldn't help it...and just had to get my modelling fix. So I put some putty on the nose of "Light House Louie"...

I was fixing a crack in the resin cowl for one of my Hellcat builds, and had the Tamiya putty out ready to go...

So I slathered some along the edges of the resin nose plug. The primer showed where there were some low spots.

Here's the Port side:

and the Starboard side:

If you notice, there is some putty applied along the area where the center row exhaust stacks would come out of the engine access panel. This is because the resin plug had a small missing chunk from this spot. Hopefully the putty will do a good job filling in this imperfection...

I'll let this dry overnight, and hopefully tomorrow I can start sanding the areas.

Calling it a night...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Today I had the chance to work some out in the hobby room... so I took full advantage of it.

Started out with more filling and sanding on the resin replacement nose.

Then I noticed a small "proud" area cast into the plastic on the tail section. I sanded it down to match the surrounding area.

This spot was slightly noticeable on both sides and was just below the stabilizer and above the tail wheel. I'm pointing to where it was using the wooden tooth pick in these picture below.

Then I turned my attention to the plastic rod I used as a filler to plug the ordnance holes that were in the lower surface of the wing... Here again I'm pointing at the spot with the trusty old tooth pick...

Once I was happy with how things were looking, I sprayed on some more Gray Primer.

and the nose got the same treatment.

I'm hoping this one will soon be ready for some camouflage paint...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

You've done an astonishing job with the nose Louis - not a single soul could say that it was an add in by looking at it for signs of the join - you've been a magician with the filler!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice going Louis, had the same issue with the one I did. In retrospect I think I would correct the air intake rather than change the nose with the resin plug. Lot of work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the compliments on the nose job... Rhinoplasty 101 was definitely underway...

If I had this to do over again I would take the route that Tom mentioned... and modify the air intake below the propeller just like I did with the short tailed "F" version... This one would have been done by now had I chosen that route...

But hey, I tried something new, and learned al lot in the process so it was all worthwhile in the long run.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

Earlier tonight I was studying a photo of the real "Light House Louie". I happened to notice a small detail that went undetected until now...

If you look close at the photo, you will see the plane has a diamond pattern tire... The kit provides you with a smooth tire...

So I ordered a replacement resin set from True Details. It should arrive in a few days...

• Profile Photo

Earlier today I was masking and painting a vacuum formed canopy for a F6F Hellcat build I have going on right now in the "Year of the Cat" GB.

Since I was going to have the air brush loaded with the same colors I would need for the P-40L canopy , I figured why not ?

So in true Iron Works fashion, things started happening...

Here are the clear bits all masked up and sprayed with interior green.

Next step was the Tan color. I used Model Master Dark Tan FS 30219 for the top color. More on this in a few...

On many pictures you see of real life P-40's, the area under the rear side glass looks lighter in color than the surrounding areas. This could be partly due to the sunlight being more strong due to the magnification effect of the plexi-glass (which could cause premature fading of the paint behind the windows), or it could simply be an effect of light passing through the side glass making the color underneath look lighter.

Either way, I wanted to try and duplicate this effect on this P-40...

So I masked off the areas and sprayed the Dark Tan on the places surrounding the cockpit. I figured "why not?", since I had the color loaded in the air brush to paint the canopy...

After this had sufficient drying time, I removed the masking. It looks like this, (which is exactly what I was after).

Then I removed the masking from the clear canopy parts. They turned out rather well I think.

About this time the mail was delivered. I had a nice surprise waiting in the mail box ! The True Details resin wheels arrived.

So like a little kid on Christmas morning, I tore into the package to reveal the true appearance of the contents. (which were also very good)

Next step was to give the resin a good degreasing... Then out came the saw and I cut away the pouring block. A little work with some sandpaper and these are now ready for paint.

I compared the new wheels to the kit parts. The details are like night and day. I am very glad that I decided to go this route.

Getting closer...

Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Louis, it's been too long since I commented on this, and wow, is it ever a work of art. Incredible attention to detail and a fabulous addition tot he GB. Well done, my friend, and extra kudos for all the modifications and special attention to the finer points.