1/72 Italeri MC.202 Folgore and 1/72 Airfix Ju.87 B-2/R2 Stuka

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 55 · 6 years ago · Airfix, Folgore, Italeri, Ju87, MC202, Stuka
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you all guys for your comments. I've been away for a littlte while so my apologies for not responding sooner. Now with some catching up to do here with the Stuka and the MC202 as I've been building slowly the last weeks.

The Italian MC202 is coming together nicely. It's an older kit and the fitting of the parts comes with adjustments, filler and sanding. Italeri made a nice kit and now the wings and tale are on and the nose is closed it's starting to look like a real plane. I'm impressed by it's small size compared certainly to the Stuka , but also other single engined fighters of the day. Intresting fact which Italeri incorporated in the tooling is the difference in wingspan between port and starboard wing. The portwing is a touch longer. This was done as a compansation for the torsion power of the engine. Some pictures of the build so far of the MC202, and follow with the Stuka under these pics...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And as said in my post above, some update on the Stuka as well. I've dicided to paint the European theatre colours first. RLM 70 and 71 in splinter camo were the colours the Stuka's arrived in Africa. On their African bases they where given some desert colour right over the existing camo and this shows in patches on the wings and fuselage. After a base layer of RLM 71 dark green I used Tamiya tape to mark the splinter pattern and apply RLM70 black green. I could only do this in bright daylight as both colors are closely matched. After seeing several pictures of the real machines I found the paint on the Stuka's to be rather rough in appearance. A good starting point to start wiht the RLM79 sand yellow as the next layer. Using the paint reference as a guilde, the sand color is done freehand, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I'm using Lifecolor arcrilics here specialy because this paint is very "thin" which helps to keep all the details and still be able to build several layers. Now some touch up to do and working on the landing gear and testfit of the canopy and building some bombs. Then see what the decals wille be like. I hope you like both of the Africa planes. Comments, ideas etc are allways welcome. To be contunued...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

The WW1 Italian Ansaldo SVA biplane was built in the same manner. One wing was longer to try and cancel out the effect of the engine torque, by using lift generated by the wing. Pretty ingenious if you ask me...

The builds are looking great Ferry ! The Stuka looks like it shouldn't be too much longer and it's decal time. The Mc202 is a small plane isn't it ? You have made some great progress on both of these ...

Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

That's great 'historical accuracy' Ferry, with the desert camo applied 'in the field' over the original paint. I have looked at photos of the original plane on countless occasions (I have the Hasegawa 1/48th, in the cupboard - like many on iModeler I guess!), and I always thought there was something 'different' about it - I think you may have answered the question! Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

All amazing work, Ferry. The Stuka's paint job projects a level of concern for detail that is remarkable, and it looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, the MC202 is realy small, specialy compared to the Stuka.
    Thank you Paul. Yes I did look at as many pictures I have available and read about the painting in some articles and books. When you start painting it looks funny but not it's coming together pretty well. Thanks David, I'm looking forward to adding decals now and putting some other details in place.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 2 months ago:

A little update on the Italian MC202. All basic colors are applied, with they grey underside and the hazelnut brown topside. The brown is a rather "difficult" color to get it right, but after reading some building reports from Italian scale modelers I decided to go for Tamiya XF-52 "Flat Earth" . I've applied two thin layers to keep the fine details showing through. For the next step I will make a mask to spray the irregular green spots on the fuselage. A different camo from the "curly smoke rings". The areas still masked off will receive a matt white paint. The version I'm building will be flown by Sergeant major Teresio Martinoli, from the 73 Sq. 4 Stormo, based at Fuka, Libya in 1942.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great, Ferry!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Good progress Ferry, you're definitely in the final stretch.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

So finaly had some time to work on my models again. I just had to give it a try and made some spraymasks for the mottled look on my MC202. I made a scan of the buildplan and scaled it to 1/72. Then I cut out the spots one by one with a new bladed hobby knife. Using the airbrush with very low presure I just went for it and sprayed Lifecolour dark green for a test. And hey presto! I couldn't believe my eyes after taking the mask of. It worked! Now I'll continue to get the fuselage also done. Keep you updated.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

The masking was a splendid idea ! It looks fantastic my friend...

• Profile Photo
    Andreas Fey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Like the Airfix kit very much. Nice build and scheme, cant wait to see the Stuka finished

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 1 month ago:

The camo. scheme is great!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks guys for your positive replies. I did some last work on the Stuka , and put some WIP pictures down here in the group. And I'm pleased to say that the Stuka is now finished. I will show the result in a headlines topic. The finals items are smeller parts like pitot tubes, radio console inside between the seats, giving the bombs there places under the wings and fuselage. Also the painting of the canopy was quite time consuming. Some last wip pictures, and the presentation will be in the headlines. Then it's on to the MC202 to finish.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years ago:

So back to the Italian Macchi 202. Got some time to continue with the camo which lead to making some more spray masks using Tamiya tape. This worked fine on the fuselage with the different shapes, specialy around the cockpit and engine area. I also sprayed the wingtips and nose in white. On the fuselage behind the cockpit a white band is provided with a decal. I decided to mask this part and spray this white as well for better effect. A little bit of cleaning up to do, and then the clear gloss comes on in preparation for the decals.