Airfix Austin K2 "Katy" Ambulance 1/72

Started by neil foster · 40 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 2 months ago:

So here I am with my second entry in the Kasserine pass G.B. , it is the Ambulance that featured in the movie "Ice cold in Alex " starring the late ,great John Mills . Austin built a staggering 13,000 of these sturdy little workhorses though how many were used as Ambulances I have no idea, but many hundreds I'm sure. These Ambulances would have appeared in every campaign in which the British took part and been used to transport injured servicemen no matter what there nationality.

I will give a more detailed breakdown of the build process once things get going than I did with the Valentine tank ,I am also going to display it on a simple dessert scene dio' but don't expect miracles as dio's are not really my forte.

That's it for now guys ,N.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 2 months ago:

That a great choice Neil. Really like the old Airfix sets and got several editions in my stash hanging around.
    Lookig forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Good show, Neil. Really looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry ,I cant wait to get going on this.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

About month back I ran into 'Ice Cold' on the classic movies channel. I hadn't watched it in years. Absolutely loved it - great film - great choice!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looks like a great project, Neil. A desert ambulance doesn't get much glory but it's certainly VERY important.

You wrote: "So here I am with my second entry in the Kasserine pass G.B." Don't worry, amigo - some of us (think - ME) are still working on our FIRST!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing this one done Neil. Good choice.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Like the others have stated, I will be looking forward to your updates !

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 2 months ago:

There's something about non-tracked (if that's the correct term) military vehicles that's very attractive and this Austin is a great example, especially in this special role. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, Neil.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Look forward to seeing progress on 'katy', Neil. Great choice and I'm sure you'll do it proud.

• Profile Photo

Wow ,what a surprise to get so many positive responses to read on my return from work,
    thanks to you all,Neil.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Neil, not many ambulances built, in my experience. I've had that set for years, thinking I'd do part of an airfield. Shame (never satisfied!) there isn't one in 48th (Yank scale) along with one of the Dodge WW II ones seen everywhere. Looking forward to seeing her built.

• Profile Photo

I have already started work on the chassis and the interior of the vehicle, I am going to use some thin clear food packaging to make a windscreen glass but other than that I can't really think how this tiny kit can be added to, there was less to this than I was expecting when I opened the box...

I thought of painting the interior of the cab a sort of dark green as if it was sprayed up in dessert colour later and the cab ignored ,just to add a bit of interest and variation also I have done the interior of the rear box in white so I can pose it in a dio with the doors open.

That's it for now guys , hoping to press on over the weekend.

N

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi guys,well this is my progress so far, I have built up and painted the chassis, the box section and the cab, I have decided to try and add a bit of interest to this tiny and poorly detailed kit by painting the cab interior ,the underneath of the body and the chassis in a European theatre dark green, I will carefully mask the cab interior off before spraying up the exterior of the vehicle in Tamiya dessert yellow , I will allow the paint to overspray the wheel arches and the chassis to try and give the impression of a vehicle hurriedly shipped over to North Africa and maybe sprayed up enroute, that's the plan anyway...this kit is about the size of two Humbrol enamel tins so with my limited skills I need to add whatever I can, Oh! I added a windscreen made from clear plastic as well.

As you can see in the last picture Airfix in there infinite wisdom decided to mould the driver without legs,if you have seen the movie "Ice cold in Alex" you may remember that John Mills's character was a chronic alcoholic so I suppose he was legless for a lot of the time but not this literally, anyhow I intend to perform some pretty drastic surgery in the form of a double leg transplant from a donor out of my unused pilot figure box, wish me luck guys this is groundbreaking surgery...

N.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Worth waiting for...

Sorry - someone had to use that quote! I’d imagine once it’s done you might celebrate with a cold one!

Nice progress, Neil, and good luck with the surgery!