Dragon Tiger I ”Tunisian Initial” in 1:35 (#6608) S.Pz.Abt. 501 Tunisia 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 69 · 4 years ago · Alignment, Dragon, Initial, Kasserine, Panzer V, Pzkpfw 5, Tiger I, Tunisia
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Oddball: The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to LET THEM SHOOT HOLES IN ME!

You have to love a Tiger.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Ooh yesss...

• Profile Photo

Hello Friends,
    Almost three weeks since my last post but here is the Tiger again!

Last few days were filled with paintwork and fiddling with PE for the interior. This kit is very detailed, even in places where you will not see the result after the build, alas.

The heat exchanger and corresponding cooling fans are very detailed as you can see. Thanks to my home-made PE bending tool everything went smooth. The result can be seen below.

One remark is the lack of detailed instructions for this part of the build. As a typical Dragon kit, you need to do the bookkeeping right in order not to drown in the crowded manual.

Hope you like it, I plan to close the hatch next, which may be a bit cumbersome since the internal PE walls near the air intake seem to be inducing fit problems as I can already tell from a dry fit (@Louis, be warned for step 6 in the instructions my friend!). I may need to get some lubricant to get that one right!

Happy modeling!
    Michel.

PS: I also started the next project after this GB is finished, I included a picture as a hint. Respect to the first one who recognizes this building!

• Profile Photo

Closed the hull of the beast.

Makes you think how you best tame a Tiger: Put some clamps on it, the more the better!

Goodnight, Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

You have made some great progress Michel ! and thank you for the heads up on step #6...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 2 months ago:

OK, I'm lost on the edifice, Michel. Don't leave me hanging here...

The Tiger looks fabulous!

• Profile Photo

I know! Been there - it's the current Ministry of Finance in Berlin (BMF), which, back in the day used to be Herr Goring's Luftfahrtministerium, the headquarters of the Luftwaffe.

This is what it used to look like...

• Profile Photo

Michel, fantastic work. I'll be working on my own Tiger soon and I'm watching carefully. I'll be very, very pleased to use your build as 'instructions'!

• Profile Photo

Hi David! You're a star, yes indeed, it's the former "Reichsluftfahrtministerium" Wilhelmstrasse 97, Berlin. I'm scratchbuilding a 1:35 scale replica of it for a (well, not so little) dio! I got copies of the original blueprints by the architect, Ernst Sagebiel from the TU Berlin library. There were a lot of windows so I made Jigs to "mass-produce" them... I can start assembling the building now.

Currently it is the Finance Ministry and also functioned as the office of the "Treuhandanstalt", the body created to disassemble the DDR public enterprises after 1989. It's now called the Detlev Rohwedder Haus in honor of the Treuhandchef assassinated by the RAF in 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detlev-Rohwedder-Haus

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now THERE is ambition, and a huge amount of skill. Amazing modeling Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Gevald! I was thinking the Bendlerblock, but at least I was in the same city. Good luck with that, I've never seen any project like yours.

• Profile Photo

Update: 95% ready for the paintjob. Major work was the Bosch headlights on the glacis plate, there is still some PE to add there. I hope to do that tomorrow and then give a shading primer to the Tiger.

If you take a look at the instructions, you will notice that, while building, I use two marker colors to highlight added parts (blue) and skipped parts (red). I often skip parts to allow for detailed painting, adding them after the body is painted ready. As it's a dragon kit, instructions can get crowded, so this is my way of getting the "bookkeeping" right and not forget parts before the main paintjob.

Hope this was useful! Michel.

PS : Moving ahead on the scratchbuild building too! More soon...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

This is some good stuff here ! The Tiger looks like a Tiger now...

I was going to venture out there and say a building in Berlin. It just looks like that to me. I guess my instincts were right... What a scratch building project ! I'm impressed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, yes it's a fun project this building. Since I like architecture, way to go! Keep you posted on the Tiger too.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hello friends!

Over the last two weeks, I have not been able to book much progress on the Tiger, alas. Luckily, David L-S took over after he caught the tankervirus! Today I found time to continue the work.

I added the last set of PE on the tiger and now gave it a base color - red brown - for shading. The beast is now waiting for the first coat of color. @Louis, some of the PE on this beast is very tiny so be careful not to loose some of it while using your tweezers.

On another note, I continued working on the RLM building for the next dio. I was in Berlin lately and took some pictures myself. I am still puzzled how I will model the wall color as well as the sandstone texture it has. I'm thinking to use some salt technique and different shades of paint.

I added more detail to the windows, adjusted the jig and prepared the balcony. All scratchbuilding, needless to say...

Enjoy the pictures, Michel.