Dragon Tiger I ”Tunisian Initial” in 1:35 (#6608) S.Pz.Abt. 501 Tunisia 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 69 · 4 years ago · Alignment, Dragon, Initial, Kasserine, Panzer V, Pzkpfw 5, Tiger I, Tunisia
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Here is a status update, decals are done and last paint retouching as well. Dullcote and weathering is next! Enjoy!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

As a non-armour bloke I can't comment too much - other than to say the concept and execution is absolutely top notch! The thread and the dio are compelling viewing!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, glad you enjoy this build and thread so you can get insight in the life of a tanker!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

What a great piece of work. Inspiring, Michel!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Just really, really fine work reflection the North Africa epoch in WW2. So fine, Michel!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Being an armour bloke (per Paul Barber) this ia a great work, Michel.

Others here have begun to explore the dark (and often muddy) side and have found that ground vehicles have different challenges in weathering and such, and are a lot of fun! Besides, you only get the REALLY big guns on ships or tanks/artillery pieces. Although we enjoy these machines, they are NOT celebrated for what their purpose of war. Believe you me; few folks hate war more than the soldier.

Well done, Michel!

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, David LS and Jeff!
    I always appreciate your feedback as you know! Jeff, a tanker like yourself can definitely judge if the scale cat looks like the 1-1 real tiger beast. I totally agree with you that armor requires different weathering techniques compared to ships and planes for instance.

Bottom line is that ships almost constantly got an ocean shower, planes were usually well serviced and taken care of by ground crew whilst tankers hugged Mother Earth so close that traces of Her stuck to the vehicle in the form of Mud! Furthermore, tankers like us don't even consider leaving the protective armored-box-on-tracks in the midst of battle just to give it a Car Wash...

This is why weathering will always be part of the life of scale tankers, trying to mimic the artwork of Mother Earth as realistically as possible! Armor weathering techniques are not harder to master compared to those for ships or planes but they are somewhat different.

• Profile Photo
    David Byrden said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I hate to say this, but for historical information: there were no Tigers at Kasserine.
    They were in the battle at Sidi bou Zid but they were pulled out of the area on the 17th.

And they belonged to the 5th Panzer Army, not the Afrikakorps. There were no Tigers in the Afrikakorps.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks David for the heads-up. I used the Dragon kit decals which referred to the 501st S.Pz.Abt, only the Opel Blitz was in Afrika Korps make.