Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109-E4/7 JG-27

Started by Tom Bebout · 36 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

The F-6A Mustang is in the can, the Spit is close to being completed, the nose for the Bf-110 is still missing, so why not do a Bf-109? Had this kit in the stash and want to finish her as flown by 1Lt Hans-Joachim Marseille with JG-27. Apparently known as the "Star of Africa" Marseille was killed when a gear in his engine shattered in the newly issued G model 109. When jumping from the aircraft his chest hit the rudder knocking him unconscious and he fell to earth never opening his chute.

Looks like a decent little kit with a cockpit upgrade so this should be a fun build. Next step find some decals that depict his aircraft.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Nash said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I have a feeling Marseille was flying a BF 109 F-4 Trop during his time in Africa. Undoubtedly there would have been Emils operating in N Africa but by the time of the Kasserine Pass operation, most of the Bf 109 E models would have been replaced by the Friedrichs, such as the one that Marseille flew up until his death. He was killed I think flying Yellow 14 (w Nr 8693) in Feb 1942 and I'm sure there are aftermarket decals for this a/c since his tally of 156 kills marks him as an important Jagdwaffe Expert. He flew during the Battle of Britain with LG 2 when he did fly the Emil, but by 1942 he was flying the later model Bf 109 F with 3/ JG 27.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like another nice project to look forward to!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Paul: Great information on these operations. I read that the F 109's had to be introduced because the upgraded P-40's (of all planes!) were giving the E models too much competition. I still get the feeling from what I've read over the years that, even when newer models were introduced, the vagaries of wartime logistics resulted in stragglers of the older models remaining.

Tom: Yesssss!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Most sources agree that HJM died on Sept. 30, 1942 while flying a Bf-109 G-2, wr. nr. 14256 licenced in Erla Machinenwerke, Leipzig . The engine was a DB 605 A-1 wr. nr. 77411. The plane was very new - one of the first shipped - in this case via Bari. The mechanical failure that ultimately killed him was down to a reduction gear physical breakdown and a loss of gear lubricant which then smoked and burned filling the cockpit and causing him to bail out. Apart from the crash site photos - which are not discernible as much more than debris, I don't think any pictures of Marseille's last plane exist.

• Profile Photo

Tom, I think a BF109 is almost an essential addition to the GB! And David, I agree - although the lifespan of a fighter aircraft was not wonderfully long there would probably have been a small number of earlier variants flying - who knows?!

• Profile Photo

There may well have been Bf 109 E variants still operational throughout the western hemisphere during 1942/43, particularly within the Bllack Sea states. I would hesitate to depict one flown by HJM in the Kasserine Pass timescale. His Staffel was sent back to Germany at the end of 1941 to convert to the Bf 109 F-4 Trop after which Marseille gradually shrugged off his disaster-prone earlier career which had marked him as almost undesirable in most units, improving his technique and eventually achieving a high rate of kills. By the time of the Kasserine Pass episode, he had already been lost. Parhaps that's irrelevant in the logic of this topic but it perhaps needs taking into account.

• Profile Photo

After some more research I have discovered that JG27 I.Gruppe was sent to N. Africa in April 1941. They had the 109E model and were reinforced by II. Gruppe in September 1941 with the new 109F model. That allowed I. Gruppe to rotate back to Germany where they were also equipped with the F model. Later III. Gruppe would also arrive. Consequently, it would appear that Bf-109F's were flown by JG27 during the Battle of Kasserine Pass.That's bad news for the E model I have. However, I also have a Hasegawa Bf-109F in the stash, so it's full speed ahead. Now, it's time to seek out some decals that work for that time period. May have to change the subject line.

• Profile Photo

Great that you have a Friedrich in your stash Tom - roll on the BF109! Can't wait!

• Profile Photo

Dang, Historical precision is so inconvenient sometimes!

Ah well, I also just got my hands an an F (somehow in the space of a week I came into four--count 'em--109s, though Craig took one off my hands). Maybe I'll be able to kick it out--if I dare given who I'd be compared to!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Good news Tom ! Like everyone else says... we need a 109 or more. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Profile Photo

So here's the replacement for the Bf-109E model, a Bf-109F- 6/U, which to my understanding was a Bf-109F-2 fitted with 20MM cannon in each wing. After a closer look at the parts guess what I spy. If you say trop air filters for the air intake you would be correct. Leave off the cannons, add the filter and the drop tank and presto change-o we have a Bf-109F-2 for the BK build. The polystyrene gods couldn't have been any nicer.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I've seen some HJM decals made by Peddinghaus on ebay if it helps. There have been some criticisms of decals from this maker but I haven't any experience with them. these suggested that the decals were somewhat thick. Lots of luck. There must be other decals out there unrelated to HJM but relevant to pilots that would have been active during the Kasserine episode. Paul

• Profile Photo

Thomas,

Were I dean of arts and sciences I'd hire you as a WW2 history expert and put you to work. Sadly, I am a theologian, and all this talk of "polystyrene gods" will avail you not at all. But as your heresy does not seem to affect your performance as a modeler, and once again you are dusting me with your elan, I am rendered speechless. Here's to your 109 and yet another gap in the BG inventory filled!. Many thanks!

• Profile Photo

After some more research I'm going to do White 12 as flown by 2Lt Franz Stigler with JG-27. Franz survived the war and had his life story told in a book titled "A Higher Calling" The book details his war experiences and a particular meeting between his Bf-109 and very battle damaged B-17 named Ye Olde Pub . Rather than get an easy kill Franz let the bomber go and always wondered if they ever made it home. Suggest you read the book to learn about what was termed "the most incredible encounter between enemies in WW II." Next step get some decals for JG-27 in Africa. And David my major in college was history with a minor in government. And Paul thanks for the information and your input.