Hasegawa 1:48 "Croix de Lorraine": The Free French Mark II Hurricane in North Africa

Started by David A. Thomas · 7 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

OK, here's my next shot at contributing to the Kasserine Pass Group Build, this time under the aegis of the expanded "prequel" scope of the build which leads us back to the outset of hostilities in North Africa and thereby broadens the scope of possibilities for modeling the men and machines who participated.

I love the Hurricane and for whatever reason it has always appealed to me even more than the legendary Spitfire. I also love the idea of the Free French air arm, as star-crossed as it could be at times. I got my hands on Hasegawa's kit some time back, and this is my opportunity:

The stock decals replicate the plane in this photo:

...but I prefer a variation the tricolor camo scheme that Chuck Villanueva demonstrated on his Vichy Dewontine, which can be discerned in this b/w photo...

...and is rendered into art here...

I've already been at work for a short while, and have the cockpit finished:

I've also decided--against my better judgment but conforming to a larger purpose--to do the bird in flight, with the landing gear up. This meant some scratch building since the stock parts did not lend themselves to this configuration. Here's what I have so far:

I will provide other updates as I can and it seems prudent. Comments encouraged, my friends, and please wish me bon chance.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Nice pick David, I like the 3 colour camo I haven't seen that on a hurricane before.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great David! I've never seen those markings and scheme. I like your planned Hurricane.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent choice my friend ! I see you have been busy ... looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

David, I like the scheme! They wanted to let everyone know they were still in the fight.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Nice choice David, that camo scheme should be quite interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looks like this is going to be a nice build. I'm looking forward to seeing its progress.