Inventory

Started by David A. Thomas · 51 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, David. I appreciate the support. You're right there are some great choices remaining.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 5 months ago:

You can underline the Hurricane - I'm committed!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

UPDATED LIST: (We still need German armour!)

Air Forces

Allied

Fighters:
    P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk
    Dewoitine D520
    A-6 Mustang
    Hurricane
    Airacobra
    Spitfire
    Beaufighter

Bombers/Transports:
    A-20 Havoc/Boston
    B-25 Mitchell
    B-17 Flying Fortress
    B-24 Liberator
    C-47

Axis

Fighters:
    Bf 110
    Me 109*
    Fw 190
    Macchi C.200
    Macchi C.202

Bombers/Transports:
    Fieseler Störch
    Ju 87 (Stuka)*
    Ju 88
    He 111
    Ju 52

Armour

Allied

Crusader Tank
    Sherman Tank
    Valentine Tank
    M3 Lee/Grant Tank
    M3 Halftrack
    Various artillery piece (75, 105)

Axis

Greif Half-track
    Panzer III Tank
    Panzer IV Tank
    Panzer VI
    Fiat M13/40
    Fiat M14/41
    German 88

Naval Forces

Rather than attempt to document all the individual kinds of vessels employed by the fleets of each belligerent, I’m going to provide this link:

http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignsNorthAfrica.htm

Here you will find a blow-by-blow, with places, dates, and names, of the various actions in the North African campaign. Anyone motivated to work up a naval modeling approach will find plenty of action here, including carriers, destroyers, landing craft, and submarines.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

I'm in for the Panzer Mk III. I'm on a Tamiya tank building kick right now...

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Allright David, I've been checking out some options and will go for an Italian Macchi MC 202 and try my hand on the new Airfix Stuka, which offers one of two versions used in the North African campaign. Both are in my favorite 1/72 scale. For the Macchi I'll probably use the Aces set issued by Italeri. It also comes with the Macchi 205. Used at the end of the war. I wanted to build that version anyway so...prepare for take-off.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Ferry, you're a generous man! Struck it rich with this post, because we needed both of those. Excellent selections!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

My pleasure David and I'm looking forward to building these kits. Also will dig up some more history on my subjects to add during the build, a part I also enjoy.

• Profile Photo

Inventory Update: With claims/assignments (if you see yourself and you think it's a mistake, or feel you've spoken for something and it isn't reflected on the list, please let me know. As before, asterisk* marks something that has been bantered about but not firmly claimed.)

Note to all: We are doing well, but the gaps are obvious and there are still plenty of juicy choices out there. We've also declared via group discussion that "doubling up"--multiple iterations of the same item--is acceptable and even welcome.

Air Forces

Allied

Fighters:
    P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk—Louis Gardner (x2); (David Thomas possible)
    Dewoitine D520—Chuck Villanueva
    A-6 Mustang (x2)—John Healy, Tom Bebout
    Hurricane ~Greg Kittinger
    Spitfire ~Tom Bebout
    P-38 Lightning~Tom Bebout
    Airacobra
    Beaufighter

Bombers/Transports:
    A-20 Havoc/Boston ~David Thomas
    B-25 Mitchell
    B-17 Flying Fortress
    B-24 Liberator
    C-47

Axis

Fighters:
    Bf 110 ~Tom Bebout
    Macchi C.202 ~Ferry Dierckxsens
    Me 109 Tom Bebout
    Fw 190 Louis Gardner
    Macchi C.200

Bombers/Transports:
    Fieseler Störch ~Paul Barber
    Ju 87 (Stuka) ~Ferry Dierckxsens
    Ju 88
    He 111
    Ju 52

Armour
    Allied
    Crusader Tank ~Jeff Bailey
    Sherman Tank ~Louis Gardner
    Valentine Tank ~Neil Foster
    M3 Lee/Grant Tank
    M3 Halftrack
    Various artillery piece (75, 105)

Axis
    Greif Half-track ~Julian Shawyer
    Panzer III Tank ~Darren Dickerson, Louis Gardner
    Panzer IV Tank
    Panzer VI
    Fiat M13/40
    Fiat M14/41
    German 88

Naval Forces

German Uboat VIIc ~Paul Barber

Rather than attempt to document all the individual kinds of vessels employed by the fleets of each belligerent, I’m going to provide this link:
    http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignsNorthAfrica.htm
    Here you will find a blow-by-blow, with places, dates, and names, of the various actions in the North African campaign. Anyone motivated to work up a naval modeling approach will find plenty of action here, including carriers, destroyers, landing craft, and submarines.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I won't be building this, but I'd thought I'd share this photo, I'm guessing It's North Africa.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andreas Fey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hi David, what about this one? Was this plane involved?
    https://reibert.info/attachments/signatur-von-jagdflieger-erich-rudorffer-4-jpg.5484460/
    Or is someone allready started with this one (Louis Gardner?)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hello Andreas,

I have started a FW-190, but I don't mind someone else building another one (or two). In fact I encourage others to build whatever they please. When I was moderating the Midway GB six months ago, we had quite a few F4F Wildcats built, several TBD Devastators, SBD Dauntless planes etc. . It made for a fun time for all involved, and we had a lot of stuff posted during the reveals.

I recently found the same type of illustration showing a 6 / JG 2 Fw-190 with the upper surfaces painted in RLM 79 Sand Gelb over RLM 76.

This one had a double black chevron on the sides of the fuselage and no numbers.

I think it would be a great choice too. If you want to build "Yellow 1" I can swap over to this one... or we can both build the same plane.

I have enjoyed all of your other postings here on Imodeler, and would really like to see you build something here in the "Kasserine Pass" GB.

Please let me know what you decide.

Thanks,
    Louis

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Andreas, I wholeheartedly agree with Louis on this one. Repetition of war materiel is almost inevitable if we have many participants. That Louis is doing an Fw 190 should not hinder you in the slightest. If you and Louis want to come to a gentlemen's agreement about color schemes, that is between you. I think everyone here knows you are a master of German fighters, and we are excited to have you on board!

David

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hi All,
    I long awaited this kind of group build, so thanks again David. In fact I had the kits in my stash for a few months to do the Kasserine thing!

I just cleaned up my desk to start the group build as my Vietnam era M107 SPG is now finished. I'll report on the way I sculpted the figures soon (pictured).

I will definitely build German armor, preferably out of the list, but I'm undecided still so I decided to open a vote here!

Undecided, I want to open a vote, expiring next week Friday 10/12/2017:

Shall I build (pictured):

A - Fieseler Storch 1:35th as Rommels' personal liaison plane (Hobby Boss)
    B - Panzer II s. IG 33 1:35th as used in the Kasserine battle by DAK (Dragon)
    C - Panzer IV ausf. D 1:35th as used in the Kasserine battle by DAK (Dragon)
    D - Opel Blitz with some scratchbuilt items 1:35th as many were used by DAK (Italeri)
    E - Panzer VI Tiger "131" 1:35th as used by the 501 s.Pz.Abt near Kasserine 1943 (Dragon)
    Sorry for any doubles and cross-listings with other fellow-modelers!

I count the votes until 2017/12/15 24:00h CET, diorama suggestions welcome!

Let me have your inspiration, Michel.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Well, Michel, as the previous discussion reveals, we're all about people doing what sparks their imagination, even if that means duplicates. So by all means, do what you like!

That said, we have a Storch (Rommel's Taxi) in the works. I love your armor options, particularly the Panzer IV or VI. My vote is for the Panzer IV Tiger.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

That Opal Blitz looks like fun, especially if it's along side the IV Tiger off loading ammo. Just a thought.