Italeri Kfz. 305 Opel Blitz in 1:35 (#216),

Started by Michel Verschuere · 45 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I have only been to the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox but someday I'll go to Benning once things settle down there with the collection. I've heard that they're planning on building a new building to house the entire collection.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Louis, sadly - yes, the US Army (thanks to Congress' mandate, I suppose) moved the Home of Armor from Ft. Knox to the Home of Infantry at Ft. Benning. This was done (according to the explanation) since the new "Combined Arms" involves Armor, Infantry, and I suppose eventually Artillery and everything else moving together so they can train together. On the surface, this is VERY true & needed, but I wonder what the head brass thinks the 4 Infantry Battalions, along with several,batteries of Artillery PLUS everything else was that was at Ft. Knox already was doing! I'm sure those grunts & gun bunnies feel appreciated since that's what they were doing (as long as I was in the Army, since 1978 and long before I arrived) with 5 1/2 years AT Ft. Knox! I suppose they could simply take over the State of Georgia and make it one big Army base where EVERY MOS (skill) is located.

Bah Humbug!

Yes, the Tiger at the Patton Museum was awesome as was the prototype of the STILL running Panther (PZKW 5) that they 'dusted off' each July 4th (the US Independence Day, for those of you NOT familiar with US Holidays) and used in the Memorial "battle" that was traditionally fought.

Sad ... very sad.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Getting back to the original topic, that Blitz is coming along great!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Complete sidebar, but I remember seeing this Uber-Beast there, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T28_Super_Heavy_Tank

The T28 never saw combat (never had to), but can you imagine being on the receiving end of this thing?

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

I started the painting on the Opel Blitz, will report soon, going to Paris today (not Parris Island, Jeff...) 🙂

For those of you who would like to get an idea of the size of the Tiger II, check this video. There is one in the South of my country at La Gleize. It was abandoned in the battle of the Bulge by its crew. It was part of the 1st SS Pz. Div. LAH under Joachim Peiper in December 1944.

Enjoy!

More detailed story:
    http://www.december44.com/en/tiger-213.htm

• Profile Photo

Michel, you should've let us know you were in Kentucky!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Kentucky

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

That is great info on those tanks. What strikes me is how summary their end was. A few shots exchanged between armor, a lucky hit by the Americans, and the mighty Tiger is done for. No doubt many times it went the other way.

• Profile Photo

Nothing beats US Steel!

• Profile Photo

My Dad served as an "Armored Infantry" soldier in Korea. Sometimes he was an infantry grunt, while other times he served as a tank crewman. The very first tank he crewed in Korea was a later M-4 "Easy Eight" Sherman, and then later in Korea they had the M-26 Pershing's and M-46 Patton's. Dad told me that if you were in a Sherman and it was hit, you had merely seconds to get out before it would "brew up" as our English friends would say... He told me that he was warned about this by the "old hands" who served in Sherman's during WW2. His next statement was "... and they were right."

Dad later told me in his last weeks of life, that he was a crewman in 4 different tanks that were knocked out by the North Koreans or Chinese (using various methods) during the Korean "Police Action"...

One final interesting comment Dad said about the Sherman was this: "It was a decent tank as far as being reliable. We had problems with the M-26's at first. So the Sherman was the tank you wanted to be in if you wanted it to start and run... It would go in places where the larger and heavier M-26 would not. This was really important in the hills of Korea... where the "so called" dirt roads would wind around the mountains, and some had steep drop offs on the edges of the roads.", adding that he had seen where tanks had slid off the roads and ended up in the valleys below.

As a former US Army tanker myself, I could only imagine what these Sherman tankers were thinking when they rolled into combat. Especially when going against a Tiger...

Michel, your build is progressing wonderfully... I've been following it with great anticipation for the next installment... Thanks for posting the images above.

• Profile Photo

Hi All,
    I got bit further on the paintjob. Next is assembly of the main parts followed by final painting.

Regarding painting, I'm looking for suggestions on "Afrikabraun". I believe it's a light sandy color, sometimes rather like flesh color. If anyone can suggest me what Revell enamel color number or mix thereof suits best, please post here. Your help is very much appreciated!

Hope to be able to continue tomorrow and post about the progress here.

Cheers, Michel.
    PS: I was in Paris, FR and took this nice picture especially for David (Place de la Concorde)! Thanks for the invite to Paris, KY! Next time my train halts there, I promise to drop by! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Jeff, they also moved most of the display items from the ordinance museum at APC South to Ft. Belvoir. Don't know if Anzio Annie (one of them German big railroad guns) is gone or not.
    I'm sure the rationale is economy I don't get up there as much anymore, but it was nice to have some of the real thing to actually touch.

• Profile Photo

Michel, Testors Model Master paint makes an Afrika Braun. Failing that, their old square bottle Wood might also work, with some doctoring. Vallejo has a nice range of tans, as does Humbrol, depending on whats available in your locality.

• Profile Photo

I also have a theory that the Afrika Korps used Italian and captured British colors, depending on what they had available. Give you a little wiggle room.

• Profile Photo

Louis, the British tankers in WW II using Shermans referred to them as "Ronsons" , a then popular brand of cigarette lighters. Like the IJN Betty crew. and the Heinkei 177 folks. (Luftwaffen lighters) Make a theme itself, though kinda morbid. Shermans also supposedly fit the usual bridges found in Europe and in CONUS. Sometimes Tigers didn't, think what the Maus would have done. Or that Big 'un we had that someone did a model of recently.

• Profile Photo

Great stuff, Bernie! This is the stuff of iModeler at its best: encouragement, networking, and theorizing. I love it.

And thanks for the pic, Michel! That pretty definitively proves that we're not talking Paris, Kentucky (which is horse country, by the way, and though rustic is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to rural beauty).

Here's my dad in Paris (France :-)), winter of 1945-46. He was a staffer for General John C.H. Lee, whose HQ was out of the George V Hotel. Someday I'll get there!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Now that's a great picture !

Michel, I did some research for you. It may not be 100 percent accurate but it should be a good starting point.

To begin with, here's a partial list of German colors used, along with the "Xtracolor" numbers as a reference. To add a little confusion to this, the RAL colors changed in the early 1950's and sometimes the wrong color numbers were used later in reference materials.

This next photo shows an approximation of German RAL colors as compared to the US Federal standard colors. Please keep in mind that the colors are not an exact match.

Next I did a little cross referencing and found a Revell of Germany color chart that actually lists Afrika Braun as a color.

This listed a FS (Federal Standard) number next to it.

So I took my almost completed Panzer III which I sprayed with Model Master Afrika Braun as a comparison placed next to the color chip in my FS book.

You can see the results from this in the picture below.

Another picture but closer ...

I would consider starting out with Revell of Germany color number 32117 and possibly lightening it or darkening it as needed to get you in the ballpark.

Hopefully this will help you with the color scheme.

Merry Christmas my friend.