Italeri Kfz. 305 Opel Blitz in 1:35 (#216),

Started by Michel Verschuere · 45 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Not to add any confusion but a cross reference chart I found shows Revell Color 8001, Wood Brown is the cross reference for Model Master 2008, RLM Sandgelb.79 Hope this helps. It's what I used on my Bf-109F, not sure if wheeled or tracked vehicles use the same as their aircraft though.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Honestly Tom in North Africa anything could have been possible. I've read where captured Allied colors were sometimes used, Italian colors used on various things, etc.

The Luftwaffe used RLM colors and the Afrika Corps would have likely used RAL colors. By this time the German industry was turning out vehicles painted from the factories in RAL colors.

But it's a sticky subject for sure. One that I don't claim to be an expert on. I only know what I have read from various books and online articles over the years. One good set of books I have is the three part collection called "Panzer Colors" and it has a complete section for just the Afrika Corps.

Believe it or not, quite often they simply used mud as a camouflage color. They would mix some up and smear it on the vehicles. Once it dried they had a perfectly matched color for the surrounding terrain.

Thanks again Tom for your input.

You are right on the money with your statements.

Here's a picture showing the Testors / Model Master color chart along with the corresponding paint numbers.

Plus if you add in the sun fading effects on the paint and how the effects of accumulated dust / sand from the desert and how this will change the looks of a color, then I would simply say go with what you want to. As long as it looks correct to the builder, it's probably "close enough ".

Take care Tom, and Merry Christmas to you.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Dear Bernard, Tom and Louis, thanks so much for your guidance. There are indeed almost as many variations afrikabraun as there are modelers but it is always nice to throw a question here and get the answer within hours! This is really helpful. I will post the painted model next. Merry Xmas to all!

• Profile Photo

Hi all,
    Based on your suggestions and Louis' pictured, I mixed an enamel color from Revell 16, 17 and 05 (White), roughly in ratios 10%, 50% and 40%. This came out real nice and matches the light sandy-flesh appearance of the DAK brown. See the pictures of the current dry assembly next.

The painting steps up to now were the following (in chronological order):

1. Revell Matt 78 German Grey shadow coat overall, including engine
    2. Revell Matt 83 Rust, on all metal parts, hence only partially on the load tray
    3. Generous layer of hairspray in support of later weathering steps
    4. This coat of home-brewed DAK brown, gently applied, the shadow is deliberately left visible. The cabin interior is left German grey via masking so to represent a vehicle with this original color that got the DAK tone on the exterior only upon arrival in North Africa.

Next I will proceed hand painting the engine, add brake lines and assemble the model. Then the weathering starts.

I'll keep you posted, stay tuned and happy X-mas!

PS: I added a picture of the display case holding my creations for the last two years, as my profession allows... Can't wait till my retirement, my stash neither... 😉

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Great looking display case! And of course great progress and some interesting technical insight over the layers you paint in - thank you!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Michel, that Opel truck capture the very essence of this GB, and it isn't even done yet. Good show, friend and keep going! I also echo Paul's remarks on your display case. Wonderful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks all for your kind, encouraging replies! I added the wheels and did more detailing on the engine. More to follow soon, but wanted to share this one as it now really starts to look like a Blitz! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks wonderful ! Excellent job with the color mix... I like how you decided to keep the interior in the original dark gray, which is exactly how many German vehicles were operated by the DAK.

Your display case is very nice...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

That is really looking nice Michel, and a fast build as well. And I see you've been to IKEA and bought a Detolf display case. Good choice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom and Louis, yes indeed: After considering many options I bought two standard IKEA display cases. I would have liked an extra shelf but it's ok. One of them I filled-up with the fruits of two years of modeling so I "one done, one to go".

Warning: This imodeler thread contains product placement 🙂

• Profile Photo

It's nice we all made it to the years' review for imodeler with this group build! Keep the good work coming!

Today I finalized the detailing on the engine, assembled the chassis and added the brake lines. That much scratchbuilding will do, most of the other stuff will not be visible 'under the hood'...

The remaining job to do is the weathering but I might wait with that until the full dio is finished to get the splashed mud colors right.

So all we need is the tiger, which I will commence constructing in the next days. Stay Tuned!

Merry X-mas to all!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Michel, really looks great! The color looks right on!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Dear friends!

Foremost a happy 2018, good health and happiness, including modeling enjoyment of course!

Here is the status after main paint weathering. I scrubbed off the top layer of Afrikabraun here and there to expose either rust or German grey color. This will be about the final look. I will splash- and pigment weather together with the Tiger tank later.

Left to do on this one: Windscreen and side window panels installing and weathering. Final assembly of the drivers' compartment and load tray, rust pigments on the exhausts and of course decals.

I will present the next info on this one in a main article and then proceed with the Tiger. I already studied the assembly instructions and given the high part count courtesy of DML this will be quite a job!

Happy modeling!

Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Well done Michel, really looks the part of a well worn Afrika Korp truck.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Really looking great, Michel! Communicates the very sense of the North Africa campaign and ethos.