”Rommel’s Taxi”

Started by Paul Barber · 151 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

My personal philosophy is to build for the benefits of building. I've seen amazing dioramas with a cast of thousands that are utterly historically accurate, but often leave me flat. Technical brilliance for me is not the only ingredient for a super model. In the same way that a perfect portrait sometimes just doesn't capture the person.

The builds that mean something to me are the ones on my shelf that I can look at and remember some of the banter or a quote someone posts along the way. Everyone is different in this respect. It means for me making up diverse (and sometimes perverse) narratives for my 'little men'. It brings them to life (figuratively, I'm not that far gone).

Argh. Don't really know what I'm trying to say, other than modeling is deeply individual, your plane is brilliant, your little men will be better than you think, and you clearly enjoy the hobby more than is necessarily good for your sanity. Or so your Rorschach's test says...

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Paul, I'm just now revamping my Photography Room into a Model/Photo room before I re-start this path to enlightenment, if not the asylum. It's been some 43 years since I've built my last real model, not counting 4 years playing make believe in Architecture College. After seeing this marvelous work and the work of the others on this thread...I think I'll start with Lego first.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

That's far too kind James - I view myself to be very early in my second childhood with regard to modeling, and this has been a brilliant place to do it. I'm slowly improving as a result of the men you mention in this thread - you may make a masterpiece first up or not, but the next one will be better for the encouragement and kinship you'll get here! I'm jealous of the 'photography room' - especially now it will be used for both of my favourite vices! Looking forward to great captures of great builds!

David, I love your unique approach to figures, a kind of method acting school for plastic performers. I'm so invested I've commented on your characters as if they were real!

• Profile Photo

Yeah, baby. Bring on Erwin.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Love the paintwork! I had thought to experiment with something similar on a night-fighting JU-188, but it still looks a bit daunting, especially as it would be 1/72, and I'm just now ready to try an airbrush for the first time... gulp!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Paul, I think you've got it. It seems pretty clear that when it came to painting the original plane, the ground crew probably grabbed a compressor and a gun and started spraying squiggly lines all over the surface. It is much less intentional than something done in a factory. I think you've replicated that well.

• Profile Photo

Yep, that's the 'drunken mechanic' technique. You've nailed it, Paul.

• Profile Photo

Replicated - certainly not duplicated, David (as the borrowed saying now goes on here). Thanks for the kind words as ever. It was the thought of the merry ground crew 'squiggling' away that made this easier - there was probably no wrong answer.

Greg - my criticism upon reflection, of the job I did was that it is probably 1/32 camo on a 1/48 kit. Getting my lines to be visible (not too pale) and thinner than this would have pushed my skills and equipment a bit too far. These lines, as shown on the original picture, are very tightly packed. As I mentioned before my major objective was that neither colour dominate. On the Ju188 nightfighters I have seen, the lines are less dense and relatively a little thicker. These factors will be in your favour! During my research I saw a great bf110 nightfighter painted by 'reverse masking' (Louis suggested this idea), where the squiggles were painted on using liquid mask though a hypodermic needle using a syringe, to form a barrier over the pre-painted squiggle colour. The 'background colour was painted over that, and the mask then removed! The lines looked like they had been drawn with a sharp pencil!

Such an ambitious project would be a great way for you to get to know your airbrush, and judging by your excellent previous builds you always seem to display the enviable attribute of knowing what an unerringly accurate rendition should look like - this will be no different with an airbrush I am certain!

• Profile Photo

Gloss coat is on and the basic decals are drying. Still no figures but it feels like a matter of days not weeks until completion.

• Profile Photo

Home straight now, Paul. Looking at you photos you can get a real sense of the characteristic lightness of the Storch which to me shows a very good 'touch'. I think with respect to the scheme, you definitely achieved your objective of having neither color dominate and that certainly mitigates any 'scale' issue. The overall look is bang on and she very much looks the part. The underside also looks expertly done.

Looking forward to seeing her outside the 'hangar' and hope you take plenty of photos.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, heading for the finishing line with your sage words about 'the bride' ringing in my ears. So some panel lining, a little more construction, some healthy layers of matt varnish, and the greenhouse masks removed, gets us to the last snaps for a bit. Now need to do some touching up and sorting out of the base; work out the little men; and put together a final article with some better photography!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Paul I believe you nailed it, that little bird is looking fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Just amazing artwork. Wow. Mastery at every step.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Really beautiful - can't wait to see the glamour photos and close-up details!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The master at work, amazing color scheme! When finished it will be a real jewel!