”Rommel’s Taxi”

Started by Paul Barber · 151 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, you are more than redeemed by your Enterprise did, to be sure. But your story pained me greatly. Why is there something inside of me that says such experiences are somewhat salubrious to the soul?

Perhaps it's the masochist in me...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, I think it's something about perspective and mindset. When I think of 'that build' my immediate thought is about what I've learned from and since then. There's also something to be learned from our Buddhist cousins about non-attachment, not being so invested in material. As we have discussed across posts, it's about the journey; where you are 'at' - not where you are.

Applied to modeling, I think it's a nice metaphor. You can build for the final product and your satisfaction may ride on whether your model wins a prize, or go with the process. I'm not judging here (seriously - it's taken time in my life, but I've made some peace with consumerism and utilitarianism) - but for me the 'payoff' is reading posts like this, being able to connect, and sharing something that I do find very hard to do with 'real' people. You can probably see that, and I suspect the same is true of yourself, David.

This is way too deep for a Thursday morning. One coffee in and discussing existentialism applied to plastic and virtual (or 'real') friends.

Sorry to 'ambush' the thread, Paul, but I do think there is important modeling considerations in this as well as confused ramblings...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Davids, I tend to agree. The time well-spent and the learning get me going way more than the end product. Mine all end up in a photo file and on the kids’ ceiling! Truth be told I’m reasonably antisocial - occasionally I muse on whether in another life I’d have been a hermit! Probably because I spend my days surrounded by thousands of people! The connection on here is genuine and committed. We struggle and succeed, or commiserate together without revealing too much of ourselves outside of wrestling with the plastic. And I would wager that for many it is an ‘atypical’ connection, as we start as strangers and most likely will meet rarely, if ever, in the flesh. In some respect the friendships are quite pure as they ask nothing.

Louis, your suggestion is the perfect example of that. I’m facing a challenging paint job and you are straight there with a solution. I will be trying different approaches and that one is definitely in the mix! You will get to see the outcomes as they develop! Thank you so much for the thought!

I have the base colours on the plane now.

I could have stopped at this point and gone through the normal finishing processes and built this (a Rommel plane).

However from the word go the plan was to build this one:

Most people put down the sandgelb and then the hellblau on top as ‘squiggles’ - as it would presumably have been painted ‘for real’. I have some metal ‘Luftwaffe blotch masks’ and I wondered about reversing the process to paint ‘gelb over blau’. I think that might throw away the ‘look’ that could be achieved by mimicking the way the plane was actually physically painted. I will also go back to the photos of this fairly famous Storch and check how well Tamiya have prepared their illustrations. More later, but for now thanks for the interest and the very welcome (semi-)divergence!

• Profile Photo

Wonderfully put, Paul. I am also (despite how it may seem at times here) an introvert who is surrounded by people all day. It's not easy, especially in one of the most overpopulated cities in the world.

I love the paintwork. You are clearly taking a lot of time and consideration over this and it shows in the quality. Terrific work.

• Profile Photo

I miss that over-populated city a lot!

Here is another version of the said plane - the camo 'squiggles' look even 'more so' here. Tamiya seem to have it about right...

• Profile Photo

Lovely photo, Paul. Sort of camo that you think is easy (looks like a child has painted it) until you try...

• Profile Photo

It is the density of each colour that makes it tricky, I think. The 'squiggles' can't be too tight or loose!

• Profile Photo

Trial and error. I have done this camo once. Sometimes called 'Wellenmuster' (I think wave pattern), sometimes called the 'pretzel' pattern, I call it 'Drunken mechanic had an argument with his wife' pattern.

If you trust the airbrush, get the PSI up to about 30 and go very, very gently on the trigger, very close to the surface. Worked for me, but each airbrush is different. It's a real nerve tester - and don't drink coffee beforehand.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, your Junkers loss, and our discussion of it, takes on an entirely new meaning with the death of Bernie Hackett. Let us give thanks to G-d above for the loss of plastic things--even plastic things into which we have poured time, money, and passion--because it grants us that priceless thing there is so little of in this world: perspective.

I had pondered a passage from Qoheleth for your Junkers trauma...

And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. 11 Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun. ~Ecclesiastes 2:10–11

But after the Bernie thing, perhaps the better one would be...

A good name is better than precious ointment, and the day of death than the day of birth. 2 It is better to go to the house of mourning than to go to the house of feasting, for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart. 3 Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad. 4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth. ~Ecclesiastes 7:1-4

Truly, the friendship I've enjoyed here weighs more than my stash fully realized in museum quality ten times over and then some.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the advice and info David. In order not to trust the trigger I ended up going the other way and lowered the PSI and pushed the trigger flat. I figured consistent flow was more likely that way - with my fairly basic airbrush technique not becoming an ‘uncontrollable’. Experimentation showed that with my airbrush at about 8-10 PSI and manipulating the diffuser valve until it passed ‘spatter’ and hit a comparative sweet spot, it was possible to produce a reasonable line.

I sprayed initially onto paper, then onto base-coated card and then onto some prepped styrene and spare parts (mostly excess Eduard spit parts). Louis, I tried your suggestion but with the amount of surface I needed to cover and my lack of ability to roll a consistent cylinder of material, it failed in my hands.

The pictures show a graduation from ‘too thick’ and ‘too runny’ to a little too thin (line width) and about right. The key seemed to be not to stop once the gun and settings were functioning.

Once that point was reached I decided to bite the bullet and moved onto the tailplane. From pillar to post including the process of trying out the settings and about four clean outs for the airbrush (which had to be exactly right) I reached the end after about 2 hours all in.

David, I am a tea person and the element of ‘drunken’ was left way behind in my student days. Although I agree that is what the result looks like!

Here’s the outcome. It will be done both better and worse in the history of modelling!

• Profile Photo

Fantastic. Even more for showing your 'working' as we can all learn from it. You know, there are some interesting subconscious patterns and images emerging in those squiggles...

The Storch is looking a million dollars and I really appreciate you sharing the painting work. I know it's a minefield as everyone uses a (air)brush in a different way but it's so helpful seeing actual posts of how others organise and execute their work.

Excellent. Nearly there now!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, David. I forgot to add - although I guess it is obvious - the gun was about 5mm from the surface throughout. I’ll leave it a day to dry completely now and do some details on the small parts, and the dreaded figure painting...

• Profile Photo

Ah. Figure painting. I could write book on figure painting. It'd be called 'How not to Paint Figures'.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Paul for the tutorial, the plane's paintwork looks fab! Kudos mate!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Michel - it is not a reference work I'd live and die by!

David - I am going to be suitably philosophical from the outset with the little men. It is a learning curve I may ride but the once. I am still in love with airplanes enough not to feel the call of the sprawling narrative quite yet. The Rommel element makes this different because it is his 'Taxi' and this was his last campaign - so DAK reference is necessary. While not aiming for mediocrity, I know that the big picture won't float or sink based on a couple of figures, and that a relaxed approach will get me further than losing sleep! Glad you enjoyed my Rorschach test - let me know what the algorithms say!