Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop

Started by Tom Bebout · 19 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Ran into a little hiccup with the Bf-110, it's missing it's nose piece, so until I can secure a new one it's on to the Spit. Looks very similar to the Tamiya Mk.I I did not long ago, nice detail not a lot of parts, and I assume the fit will be excellent. Just add an Uttracast seat and this won't take long, he states confidently. Now what kind of sauce were you going to use when you eat your hat David?

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry to hear that your 110 is missing a part. I'll check out my kits to see if I have an extra laying around.

But on a good note, the Spitfire looks like a nice kit to build.

I think David said he liked spicy mustard. 😉

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hhmmm, this is getting interesting.

I think we'd better put the whole "sauce" thing out for a vote to the Group Build membership--when the time comes, of course. A simple multiple choice test, if you will. Thomas, if you gold medal the thing like you did with little miss "Quanto Costa," that's Sriracha. If it's a deadlock, I'll do spicy German mustard. If the Spit has seen better days, well, it's honey mustard, pal.

The glove is on the mat in front of you...

• Profile Photo

Got some model time in for the Spit. As the quotation goes, construction begins with the cockpit. So far everything is fitting well, did add a TD seat because I like the molded on hardness vs PE. Did a wash on the seat as well as the fuselage sides. Hopefully I'll get some paint on this puppy this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Looking very nice!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

The wash really brought out the details. Coming right along... Looks good too !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Superb precision and contrasty colour in that cockpit Tom - not overdone in any way but enough to show every detail!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, for some reason I enjoy painting and detailing cockpits.

• Profile Photo

Got some time in today on the Spit, we now have a fuselage with some wings and a cockpit inside her. And a pretty blue underside. But blast it all, I opened my bottle of Middlestone and of course its now hard as a rock. I'm off to Hobby Town for some paint.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Tom, seems like it never fails, huh? Nice underside paint job!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Wonderful work, as Paul points out your work in terms of setting the contrast is great. I really like the way you make details 'pop'.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Finally I'm back to the Spit, after completing the Bf 109F, finally got the Middle-stone sprayed on then added the brown camo. Used Model Master enamel for the Middle-stone and Tamiya red brown acrylic for the top coat. So far I'm not a fan of the kit's decals. Having some struggles getting them to settle down with out tearing them. Should have gone the after market route, oh well live and learn. Not too far off with this being my third build for this GB. Are you there David, and can you still find that hat?

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Tom, given how gorgeous that Spit looks I think I'm actually relish eating the hat. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty! Incredible work and productivity. Many, many thanks, and have a happy new year.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Finally got the flat finish on her, added the wheels and prop, now the only thing left is antenna wire and then some pastel chalk for exhause. The decals fought me all the way, some silvering, some little wrinkles etc. However, I'm calling this one done. First I'll finish the Pinot Noir that's in the glass to celebrate. More pics on reveal day.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice work, Tom. You're drinking Pinot Noir and I'm eating a hat. I suppose it had better be an English driving cap of sorts...