Tamiya D.520 Dewoitine, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 60 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Sorry David, I sent you an email from camp but as usual the internet failed. Nothing in the stash for the GB but thanks for the invite

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 5 months ago:

David, I do not believe there was a "set" scheme/pattern for French WW II aircraft. Add to that subcontractors giving it their own "take", and availability of paints. Then, Vichy "pyjamas" in yellow and red ID stripes, in different patterns, as well. For the D520, basic scheme, then after the Armistice, a white stripe with ah arrowhead down the side of the fuselge Then, red-white-blue narrow stripes on a slant on the wings. Finally, the pyjamas, then back to the Allies, and overpainting and remarking. My interest in all this goes back to ABT decals, waaay back, and the sideviews in RAF Flying Review, thence Profiles. Fascinating stuff, to me, anyhow.

My French is apres le facon de Baltimore Sud.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Taking advantage of the Thanksgiving holiday to finally get this started. With most of the components pre painted. Time to start assembling the D520. Starting with the cockpit step one. Starting with the seat and the instrument panel. Removing the details from the IP to allow the PE bits to be applied. White is painted then the film of gauges is applied and the we set that aside. Eduards zoom set doesn't have much but still it will enhance the cockpit a bit. Starting on the RH side install a document/map pouch, lever and other detail bits. Going back to the IP, applied the gauge film over the kit part. Next the instrument panel cover. Put that aside and now work on the LH side cockpit bits. Next up installing the control lever assy to the cockpit floor. While things are setting up I run a wash to enhance the details along the cockpit interior. Also silver pencil to highlight high wear areas. Next I install the rear armor plate on the cockpit floor and then the rear deck, then check for alignment within the RH fuselage half. Finally applying the seatbelts on the seat. Then install it into the cockpit floor. Finally installing the pedals and instrument panel, and step one is completed. More to follow.

27 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Making good progress Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Very helpful and instructive blow-by-blow, Chuck. Thanks for posting and kudos on the progress!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, about time to finally get started on this. The thing is with this particular Tam kit, very simple build, once the cockpit is done it won't take long to assemble the rest of it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Dave, I try to be as detailed as possible, to point out any issues along the way. My technique and approach I take on my builds.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great Chuck !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis appreciate that

• Profile Photo

Next step is to install the cockpit assy into the fuselage. After test fitting into the RH side half, secure and assemble the LH fuselage half and like that this process is done. Next up is step 3 and 4 assembling the wings and installation. I tie these 2 steps into one as I normally attach the lower portion of the wing section onto the fuselage and then attach each upper wing half to the lower half. Checking alignment and found I did a boo boo when installing the cockpit. By cementing the lower cockpit floor to the fuselage sides drew it in too much on the right hand side. Which caused a sizable gap along the RH side wing to fuselage join. LH side is perfect. The lower wing to fuselage fit is perfect. So will need to address that. Next attach the stabs and the fit here is typical Tamiya, good. Next up fixing that wing join and work the seams. More to follow.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, that small gap shouldn't be too hard to correct.

• Profile Photo

Helpful blow-by-blow, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks good my friend... I noticed the "Birdcage" F4U in the background...my favorite plane. 🙂

One of these days I'll try the pre shading technique. I have never tried it before, but from what I have seen with other peoples work it does help to give a color scheme some life. It really seems to help tremendously when it's a solid mono tone color.

Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo

Good morning Louis, good catch yes that is the birdcage lingering in the background about the same stage in progress as the D.520. The pre-shading is a technique that I learned from an article I read years ago and don't remember which modeling site but seems to me that I had a great conversation about with a great scale modeler named Bill LaChance. It really helps around the lower section of the airframe. Makes the details pop. The Raiden built before the pre-shading technique. And the N1K1 Shiden after. The Raiden to dirty up the bottom was using a dirty wash to pick out some areas of leakage and gun soot trails under the shell ejector chutes. The Shiden using the pre shade as well as some post staining in the glossy stage of the build process.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

More excellent tips and comment, Chuck. Thanks for posting and keeping us up on things!