Tamiya D.520 Dewoitine, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 60 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Here are the paints I will apply for the paint scheme. Starting with Aeromaster War bird Acrylic Under side Light Blue Grey, Polly Scale Acrylic USN Blue/Grey, Model Master Enamel French Khaki Green and MM Enamel Burnt Sienna. Once those are applied then the Yellow and Red Stripe tail theatre ID markings. First I start masking off the canopy and 1/4 windows. Once thats done time to pre shade the airframe next. Next up is to apply the Under side Blue Grey and also paint the gear doors, struts and flaps as well. I let that set overnight. Next day was first apply the French Blue Grey, as I started to prepare my Corsair build, I noticed that USN Blue Grey was a close match. So using Polly Scale USN Blue Grey to apply the 1st color of the tri-color French Scheme. Once that is done, now the 2nd color is French Khaki Green, using MM enamel for this step. Then finally the 3rd color MM Burnt Sienna. Once the third color is applied. I break out the Blue Grey again and re-apply in areas to sharpen the edges and overspray. Next up to mask and do the red/tail ID portion of the scheme. More to follow.

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great buddy ! It's really starting to come alive now... Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Just been catching up on this build, Chuck, I really like your writing style, you make everything sound so easy and straightforward. By the way, your surname always reminds me of my all time favourite racing driver, the late, great Gilles Villeneuve, presumably your name and his are derivatives? Hope you're enjoying your Christmas break.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck, this is looking very good, and will be a highly significant addition to the GB. I love the French tri-color camp. It just looks fabulous, and I know the final product will be wonderful.

Best to you at this Christmas time, and a happy new year to you and yours.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, it was a good Christmas and still was able to get some modeling time in. Happy New Year!

George, funny you should mention that in regard to that, I am 6 generation American, and my ancestors when they first settled in San Antonio, Texas in the early 1800's, the spelling was Villenueve, sometime in the late 1800's and no one can pin point it or maybe a mispelling in the record keeping, it was changed to the present spelling with the a's in place of the e. Interesting tidbit as my ancestors lived in a part of Spain that was near the French border. So who is to know that this Spaniard has some French blood mixed with some Moorish blood. I do know this that we do have Hebrew blood in our ancestral line which my dad wasn't to thrilled to hear for some reason. Still working on this from time to time when I can.

Thanks Dave, wait till the yellow and red ID theatre markings are applied and then it will really pop.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Really coming along well Chuck. looking forward to seeing the finished results.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom, almost done.

• Profile Photo

This session we mask off the tail and apply the red and yellow ID theatre markings. As some of the D.520's also had ID markings on the nose as well. This scheme has it on the tail only, and not full on all red/yellow as I have seen on other D.520's. After masking it off, I applied Polly Scale Yellow Acrylic (using RLM 04) overall the tail. And let it sit for a couple of hours before masking of the sections that would be red. I will use plain old Tamiya Red. Once I applied the masks, leaving the areas open for Red, i airbrushed the Red striping. Also with the Red in the cup, I also airbrushed the prop spinner Red as well. Love using Tamiya tape, it really works well and very little if any bleed thru between colors. I removed the masking to reveal what lies beneath. And it worked out well, not perfect in alignment. But I have learned these markings were applied in the field, don't think they were perfect either. Next up apply the clear coat decals and some weathering. More to follow.

20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 3 months ago:

It is an incredible scheme Chuck, and really well done - it was certainly not going to be mistaken for anything else!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Nice tail job Chuck. One of the more colorful paint schemes of the war. I also agree with your comments about Tamiya tape, it has always worked well for me.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Love it, Chuck. The French had their flair for color and design, that's for sure, and I'm glad it is well-represented in your bird.

• Profile Photo

The red and yellow stripes really pop on this one Chuck ! Looking good my friend... soon you will be applying some decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul, it is quite loud, once the decals are applied more so.

Thanks Tom, just when you do a variety of Luftwaffe aircraft, which can be quite colorful, and then do a French Dewoitine and you get something quite different.

David they sure did, and very unique schemes. They had their philosophy in their approach.

Louis that tail sure does pop, can't miss it. I wonder what is the purpose of camouflage when you have a very distinctive bright tail. Yes I know so your not brought down by friendly fire, but the enemy sure knows who you are as well.

• Profile Photo

This will be the final report on the D.520, 90% completed just in time before the end of the year. After applying Future glossy clear coat. Let it set for 1/2 a day. Then applied the decals, not that many but kind've a little complicated with the stripes and rudder markings. The decals themselves are quite thin. Though will float in place just be careful not to tug to hard. This is the first time using Berna Decals. Once applied, I then did a dirty grime wash over the undersurfaces. Then using for the first time Mission Models Acrylic Flat Clear. According to the directions, you can airbrush straight from the bottle, without thinning. And that statement was correct. If flowed well and love the finish not totally flat, but not a satin finish either, just enough sheen. I really care for the glossy look unless that was the finish such as Glossy Sea Blue on a Hellcat. Once the clear coat was dry. It was time to unmask the canopy. And install the final bits and pieces. Antennas, pitot tube and the landing gear. With that the final result will be when the reveal date is announced. Happy New Year!

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This D 520 really turned out very nice !

I'll be anxiously awaiting the reveal... 🙂