The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Ah yes...double ought! I remember burning through several double, triple and, OMG even 4 OOO ink pens back in my days in college. Mom couldn't appreciate the difference it made in renderings. Thanks for the tip. I've been away from the sport for far too long. Flipping my photo room into a model building room currently and have a few Grand Plans already in the works. I'll make sure I have a few of those at my reach for sure!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Bernard, I have the 00, 0, and no. 1 at the moment but given the difference they've made I'm thinking of cleaning out their entire stock.

• Profile Photo

You'll have to check out the thread here about work benches/rooms, some nice ideas there...

http://imodeler.com/groups/displays-workbenches-stashes/

I am 'demoted' to the conservatory at the moment as 'shewhomustbeobeyed' is studying and using the den as a study/panic room. Actually, the light is so good In the glass room I'm thinking of making the switch permanent. You'll have to let us know how you are getting on with the set up and maybe post a few photos.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Yes, I've poked around in that thread a bit. Natural light is wonderful, which gives me an idea on my room. I'm kind of locked into a set arrangement, but may double think that now. I'll post some photos of the room along with a few jewels that I've found while making the move. mtc.

• Profile Photo

I'm also 'locked into a set arrangement' but today she's busy, so I worked on some weathering and detailing on the diorama. Although, it could be said "yes, it's another Tiger Tank", she's my first. I'd imagine this may be a bit like marrying a girl who has 'had some experience'; some of your friends exchanging knowing looks as you enthuse about your new found passion...

Swiftly back on to modeling, I bought some AK 'Light Dust' pigment which really makes the tank look like she's been over a dune or two (wait a minute, I'm detecting a theme here).

It's a strange thing, familiarity. I can think, "really, I can't look at another Spitfire". and then someone will post a Mk IX that blows me away. I've lost my 'mojo' once or twice in this hobby, but a change in perspective or perception has been the thing that brings me back.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Kudo's mate, looking great. There's always a first, remember!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Michel. Coming from a committed (should be committed, considering your current project) tanker, I'll accept that compliment with pleasure. Next up is some more detailing, finish the figures and camel, coat of matt, and she's done.

Regarding armour modeling, this build has completely won me over to the joy of trax.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, as an artist in training, I can remember by primary tutor teaching me some tricks. For instance, if you get bogged down--an emotional desert that gives you painter's block, turn the canvas to the wall for a while--maybe for months--and come back to it fresh after doing other work. Another trick is do some cross-disciplinary stuff. This can take the form of other media entirely--for me as a painter/printmaker it might be metal sculpture, paper making, or photography--or it might be a different approach within the same medium, go with a very disciplined super-realism if you tend towards non-representational work, or abstract expressionism if you really prefer drawing the figure or still life. The cross-pollination does us more good than we think.

I see you doing simply masterful stuff, and very much feel like a kid among giants with you, Michel, Louis, et al knocking around the site.

My next project (look for it soon) is a 1:35 WW1 Model T ambulance. It's a legacy build, given the year and all, in honor of my grandfather, Roger Burrell, who drove one in the Great War in an American ambulance unit that served with French troops. I've been putting it off, quite frankly, because it intimidates the daylights out of me, but it must be done, and I think it will be good for me.

• Profile Photo

David, I think your 'Night Lightning' http://imodeler.com/2017/10/academy-p-38m-nightmare-er-night-lightning-or-the-p-38m-in-japan-and-why-it-matters-to-me/ and 'Havoc' builds http://imodeler.com/2018/02/cry-havoc-and-let-slip-the-dogs-of-war-a-20b-havoc-for-kasserine-pass-build-group/ are both projects I'd be very, very proud of. Both for their quality of build and posting.

I very much agree with your take on 'modeling burn out', which is one reason I've started having at least two projects now at any time. There's bound to be one aspect of either that interests me enough to get me going even on the laziest day.

I'll very much watch out for your next work. The one thing I enjoy even more than modeling is talking about it with like minded brothers, and the more eclectic (and esoteric) the better. So, to the wind with your comfort zone, and clear the bench. Sounds a very noble and worthy project, David, always the best kind.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

"The Joy of Trax"? David have you ever done any stand up comedy at a club? In addition to some really nice modeling work I think you're hilarious. But then again I'm easily amused. Nice work on the dio, keep it up.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David A., Snowy is a handsome looking dog. Yes, Fred is also a Miniature Schnauzer. (But he thinks he’s a German Shepherd at times, and a cat at others. ) My wife and I love Schnauzers, and hope to get a friend/mate for Fred. We’ll name her Ethel (after the Mertz’s) 🙂

• Profile Photo

Tom, I've never done stand up. In fact some may say I do the exact opposite; as a psychologist working in Westminster and Whitehall I'm often the one selling the straight line to a room full of comedians.

• Profile Photo

@wiley2770, Gary, yep, that's Snowy; any sound at the door or near the house and he goes ballistic. But he's a s****r for tummy rubbings, and very obedient and affectionate. We've had Schnauzers for years, but this is the first all white we've had. Their coat is actually of a different texture than the salt and peppers, so look out for matting.

@dirtylittlefokker, David, thanks for the kind words. Funny what people like and what you yourself like: The Hurricane (http://imodeler.com/2018/04/kasserine-pass-tunisia-campaign-hasegawa-148-free-french-hurribomber/) was a quicker build but I had advanced considerably from the Night Lightning, having done the A-20 in between. I consider the Hurricane a better model, all things considered, though the P-38 was more demanding. Each model takes me forward considerably at this point, since I can still count on my fingers the number of models I've built since returning to the craft. I am content enough with where I am, and have learned tremendously, but you guys are still long strides ahead of me.

On another note, I'm a bit challenged with my modeling space: all my stuff is in the garage, which freezes in winter and boils in summer. For additional reasons it is less than ideal for anything but organized storage and airbrushing. I do most of my building at the dinner table, and though my wife is very tolerant there's a limit to these things.

I'll keep you up on the Model T in a WIP thread.

• Profile Photo

Good to hear from you as ever, David (and Snowy). I do find it really interesting what subjects 'speak' to us above others. I can often find beauty and respect in the unlikeliest sources while some technically brilliant builds can leave me a little cold. Such, I guess, is life.

I sympathise with the building space. I also get the sense neither of us will ever be rivalling Louis's Ironworks for modeling work ethic and prodigious output. Too few hours in a day.

• Profile Photo

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels as you do. I have indeed seen some work that strikes me as so technically brilliant that it's almost otherworldly. Then I look at photos of the real thing and, well, those ugly warbirds simultaneously have a majesty and hideousness (as instruments of death) that such "pretty" and ultra-clean toys just can't touch. My Spanish tutor called it being "más papista que el Papa." Striking the balance is the trick.

And you are probably right on the work space thing. We both live in extremely expensive cities in terms of real estate. Who has space to spare?