The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

"and that aftermarket barrel cost a fortune..."

• Profile Photo

Can I introduce my gunner and commander, Hans (dog lover, chain smoker and very relaxed/easy going) and Karl (bit anxious, very quick mind, brilliant tactician).

I'll introduce the other guys as they appear.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

May I refer each of them to a good doctor? Easy going nature notwithstanding, that chain smoking is going to lead Hans to an early grave (I'm sure he'll otherwise survive the occupational hazards of being a soldier in the Africa Korps, I mean, what could go wrong?). And Karl does look anxious. Is the doctor in?

• Profile Photo

Ah, David. The story here is Shakespearean in its tragedy, if not Homeric. The crew will be depicted on their way to Kasserine, just a few days after landing in Tunis. Both Karl (such confidence as a professional soldier, but as a human...) and Hans returned to Europe injured in March of '43 shortly before almost quarter of a million of their comrades surrendered to the Allies. Although easy going, Hans's childhood stammer returned after fighting in the failed operation 'Ochsenkopf' and would remain with him until his death.

After our commander and gunner recuperated, PzAbt 501 were reformed and both fought together in the winter of '43 at the Eastern Front. Just outside what is now known as Belarus, their Tiger (too heavy for the bridge they were traversing) fell into a river and both were drowned.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Definitely Homeric. Anxiety is appropriate for Karl, and let Hans smoke as many as he can handle.

Would that they had been captured and spent the balance of the war in a POW camp outside of Amarillo, but alas, it was not to be...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Does this mean The Camel gets something akin to a tract from the Aesopica?

‘The Fox & The Camel’?

(The Camel is the star...)

• Profile Photo

Alas. Ah, what dreams (and dramas) may come, when we have shuffled off this mortal coil.

• Profile Photo

Paul, how astute you are. You are always one step ahead. But don't get the hump, our friend's story will be revealed when the Kasserine GB gallery is posted.

• Profile Photo

For a second I thought The Camel was going to exist on the scale of Hamlet. Now you are cooking!

• Profile Photo

I thought the Camel was an injection of Kipling in the whole..."just so" and all that...

I really must work some literary ventures into my next project. It really spices things up.

• Profile Photo

Uglier yet is the hump we get...

I see, I see. Deep stuff.

• Profile Photo

Excellent, David. 'How the camel got his just desert?'

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

He went thru the Eye of the Needle? Crossed the road? Got his nose in the tent? I'm dying here... I got nothing!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 1 month ago:

So Hans smokes camel's ? Soft pack of course!

• Profile Photo

Of course Hans smoked Camels. One of the many human tragedies of this story is that he gave up his chain smoking habit while convalescing in Villach, Austria. Of course he then went on to the eastern front...