The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

So one interesting fact regarding camels and war is that regiments of camels have been used throughout history, including Napolean in his North African campaign. These were, seriously, called 'camelry', a bastardisation of 'cavalry'. I know I enjoy a laugh, but this is absolutely true.

• Profile Photo

Really, this was supposed to be a quick build, post a few photos, and move on to the next project. 92 posts later...

But just to prove I'm actually trying to be a modeler, here's today's progress. I added some photo etch, glued some plastic, and it's starting to look like a Tiger!

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

...on on the Eastern Front he discovered Belomorkanals, lifted from a Russian POW. It was then he began to wonder about the line between conqueror and conquered...

The Aussies on the camels is epic! And very, very nice progress!

• Profile Photo

If anyone's along for the ride, here's the whole crew (plus one). I won't introduce them all; suffice to say the camel has a bit of a fiery temperament.

• Profile Photo

Sad beyond words, David.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Today brought a revelation. My Tiger is starting to look like a tank and despite careful monitoring (my wife and kids are watching closely) my mental faculties seem...ok. Still, I've made a last 'in sound mind' testament just in case.

First pass with the airbrush...

The color seems good (despite my rather rubbish attempts at model photography) and with weathering I think it may even pass as a clunky thing.

Oh, and here's Karl after a first coat of primer and Vallejo 'flat flesh'. I did say he's prone to anxiety in his quiet moments away from the battlefield, and here's the proof; a more worried expression would be hard to imagine.

Anyone know what color a camel is?

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I would describe it as "sandy dark yellow" so that - if the Camel is parked next to a Tiger tank - the animal
    is well camouflaged wrt the "Beast"...

Revell: 1 part flat white #5, 1 part flat flesh #35 and 5 parts flat sand #16

Give it a wash with burnt umber brown and dry brush with flesh, that would be my guess, I think the camel will enjoy...

Hope this helps, I'm no camel expert though 😉

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

The U.S. Army had some camels in the Southwest after the Civil War as an experiment. Rumor has it, they just let them loose afterward.

• Profile Photo

"I'm no camel expert though"... how hard did I laugh when I read that? You are an absolute star, Michel.

I should also tell you that your jig idea worked brilliantly for my Tiger wheels, thank you. I'll get back to you about the camel...

• Profile Photo

In 1855, under the direction of then-Secretary of War Jefferson Davis, Congress appropriated $30,000 for “the purchase and importation of camels and dromedaries to be employed for military purposes.” Davis believed that camels were key to the country’s expansion westward; a transcontinental railroad was still decades away from being built, and he thought the animals could be well suited to haul supplies between remote military outposts. By 1857, after a pair of successful trips to the Mediterranean and the Middle East, the U.S. Army had purchased and imported 75 camels. Within a decade, though, each and every one would be sold at auction.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/whatever-happened-wild-camels-american-west-180956176/#iYFk7HKDw0HYOhO7.99

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Well, it was Jefferson Davis, after all. By 1865 he was chained as the traitorous president of the Confederacy, so we might say that the camel venture was an inauspicious portent of things to come. I remember one summer afternoon, driving west along a state highway in southern Kentucky and spotting--could it be? no, impossible--a stark white obelisk peeking in and out above the tree tops. Up and down the hills, closer and closer, the glimpses became open views, and it was unmistakable. By the time I rolled into the hamlet of Fairview, it towered above me. It is the second tallest obelisk in the world, after the Washington Monument in D.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Davis_State_Historic_Site

Now, what does that have to do with camels? Well, it is an obscure fact, my friends, with Jefferson Davis himself as the lynchpin connecting them. Plus, the shading on that obelisk might just inform how one paints a camel...

I rode a camel once, on a trip to Israel. I can offer no authoritative word from the experience that might add to David's base of knowledge, anymore than my seeing the famous white tigers of the Cincinnati Zoo can inform his pairing of the tank.

You're welcome.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Only on this forum would you get precise and (yes) expert detail on how to layer the painting of a camel! In all of the ungulate related mirth I have completely neglected to say how wonderfully well the tank is going, David. Say it in hushed tones, but I think this might give the gents more commonly associated with armour a run for their money! Something also tells me it won’t be your last!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I m amazed David you had the guts to travel all the way to Israel on a camel back! That I call persistence...

• Profile Photo

David, thanks for sharing that evocative memory, the history lesson, and a lovely non sequitur there at the end.

Camels, tigers, and the confederacy. What a great community this is.

• Profile Photo

Ah, and the only time (outside a text book) I have ever seen the word 'ungulate' in a sentence. Oh, deer.