The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Why, David - that's the nicest thing(s) I've been called. Today. Certifiable is probably the best description.

Greg, you are correct.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Jeff, I just posted this on another thread, but I want to make sure you don't miss it...

• Profile Photo

David, that is SOOOO true! I hope I'm part of this wonderful tribe. I had never "heard" of this saying; I'm glad to know it now. I'm in great company !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

What a tribe we have here ! We are in great company indeed.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Of course we’re a tribe. We even have our own dialect.

• Profile Photo

Very true, my friend; very true!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Well, I actually sat at the bench today and did some modeling.

I sprayed another coat of paint on the Tiger and added the skirts.

Did some initial weathering of the exhausts. This is a rather nice cocktail of Tamiya hull Red and some Flat Brown. Washed down with some Vallejo flat varnish.

I thought I'd add some lighter patches and covered in some seasoning. 30 minutes in the oven and she'll be fine.

Interestingly, as I was doing some research (or as the wife calls it, "slobbing"), I found some references to the Tiger Tank manual that was given to new crews. Apologies to all the hardened Tankers to whom this is old news, but the 'Tigerfibel' is quite a piece of work.

The inspector general of the Panzer troops (Heinz Guderian) thought the recruits wouldn't be able to focus on data-heavy technical manuals and commissioned it to be 'spiced up' so the crews would actually Pay attention to crucial information. The results are quite...interesting.

Translated versions are available. Strictly for research purposes...

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Very good progress David! I like the manual too, very appealing...

• Profile Photo

Hey, Michel.

Good progress my a...

These days I'm lucky if I can pick up on any of the builds I have on the bench. When I do, though, it's great getting lost in the detail of the project and the research. I know this is a frustration shared by many of my friends and brothers here. I have this plan to retire on a nice finca in southern Spain, playing guitar, modeling, reading and writing. Hey, by that time I might even finish a build...

Hell, the wife and kids could even visit if they felt like it.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

Ah, Andalusia...I hear you calling my name...

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Now that looks like a nice imodeler clubhouse! Suggest suggest... Fingers x-ed for the Spanish dream!

• Profile Photo

David, my dear brother - well met. I had the wonderful privilege of living in Andalusia 2003-2008 and it was, without doubt, a dream come alive. My wife and I ran an outdoor adventure business and every day I was diving, climbing, horse riding, or taking people out camping in the Apujarra mountains. London is a great place but boy, do I feel concreted in.

Oh, and Michel, when I do move out there - the iModeler clubhouse will be open for business!

• Profile Photo

I visited Sevilla in 2007 and it has marked me so deeply I cannot forget it. Most of my time in the Spanish-speaking world I have spent in Ecuador, and other Latin American countries. But Spain (and Argentina, by the way), well, special places in the heart. The air and the light fairly caress you continually...

• Profile Photo

I had a four hour, seven course meal in Sevilla (may well have been in '07) that the family still talk about to this day. Well, when 'Casa iModeler' opens you will have an open invitation, David.

Buenos nochas, hermano.

• Profile Photo

I'm there con unas gambas y un jamón sevillano con aceite de oliva.

Que te duermes bien, mi hermano.