U.S. Twelfth Air Force Douglas A-20B Havoc

Started by David A. Thomas · 71 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hi David, thank you.
    That's so true about cockpit and engine detail. I've never thought of it that way.

Thanks for the explanation about posting. My model has arrived now, so I'll post something in a day or so. Thanks again, Julian.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hello Julian,
    Here's a link about how to post your pictures within the articles. It was listed under the "Help" section tab.

Arranging Images and Text
    It's very easy to use, and works just like David posted. Hope this helps my friend...
  • Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Hello Louis, thank you. It never crossed my mind to look in the help section.
    You've both been a great help. Thanks again my friend.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

A little comic relief as I move towards a more significant progress report...

So I was assembling my A-20 cockpit and all of a sudden felt an inexplicable craving for an omelet. Can't for the life of me figure out why:

Ah me, I suppose this is what happens when you grade too many poorly proofed student papers in a short span of time!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Good idea for a group build - food related subjects. I'm in. Reveal is on 25th December...

Sorry - couldn't resist.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

OK, ready for an update. I'm basically there with the interior, after having previously shot my bolt on the engine detail work. What slowed me was the figurines, and this bad boy has three of them; these pics show two of them, as the bombardier is not ready for prime time viewing as of yet.

The cockpit (the starboard wall is not attached yet for the viewing purposes of this post):

The bombardier station (note I have slipped on the nose piece with interior ribbing on the walls scratch-built (for what it's worth):

Rear gunner's station (over-represented, but it's hard to get a clear picture of it)

And this poor amputee will have to wait for his arms until almost the very end, because I want them properly positioned holding the breech of his machine gun:

As Louis is wont to say, "comments encouraged"...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

To quote David Spade as "Joe Dirt" ... DANG !

Looks good buddy... Your figure painting skills are outstanding... now get that guy his arms ! Both the Browning, and the ones provided by Mother Nature 🙂 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Really looking good David, really like what you've done to enhance the interior.

• Profile Photo

I appreciate it, guys. Coming from you two that's significant for me. I should be able to make some headway now on the actual build, provided that the gunnery nest fits well and I can fill the gaps between the stock interior and my stretch built stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Fantastic work David. Realy like your figurines bringing it all together, not the easiest part as I know from experience in 1/72 scale. Looking forward to your progress.

• Profile Photo

Yes, well, Ferry, those who work in 1/72 have my awe and fear when it comes to figurines. People who do sailors on the deck of a 1/350 ship I consider demigods. So many thanks for the comments!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looking excellent David! I echo Ferry on the figures - nicely done.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 3 months ago:

OK, folks, time for a reply and a thousand apologies for the long hiatus. College profs are sort of out of pocket during December, and (no rest for the weary) the semester starts up again on Monday.

Nevertheless, I have some progress. The fuselage is together...

...and you can see how the cockpit and pilot are looking, more or less...

I've installed the nose piece which corresponds the the A-20B version I have chosen, and you are able to see how my bombardier nest looks...

...and the man himself...

He's not in place quite yet, but I've dry-fitted him and it works (and thanks to Tom Bebout for the figurine here!).

You can see the rear gunnery nest, here...

...and the masked canopy items...

A couple of editorial notes, starting at the end: the canopy for the cockpit is the Squadron vacuform aftermarket item; the gunnery nest and nose piece are stock. I went with the aftermarket item for the cockpit because I wanted it closed and the kit only provides the pieces--they look fine open but don't look right closed. The masks are Eduard, and I have to say, Tom Bebout again saved me a world of grief by encouraging me to buy the masks. There's no way I could have done it this easy by cutting Tamiya masking tape. The cockpit is the Vector resin kit. Every figurine is borrowed from another kit (or modeler!).

If you look at the bombardier's station, just below the bomb site there was a bad gap. With how much I have polished the nose plastic (and my desire to have the interior as properly done as I can), I had to close this. I eye-balled it, cut some sheet styrene, and that silly thing just fit in there. I considered it a minor miracle. I am letting the cyanoacrylate I used to glue it in--and fill gaps along the sides--dry before I touch up the paint job and sludge it over a bit.

I'l also note that the nose piece goes on without any struggle, but the gap is simply horrendous and the putty war has begun. That has to look right but shouldn't be too bad, knock on wood. Other seams were smoothed over with brush-on Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1200, as the need might have been. I have found that stuff very useful.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Well Dr Thomas me thinks you may get this bad boy done by the reveal. Looking quite good and the interior upgrades really pop. As the saying goes two steps forward one step back, but you my friend are making good progress.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I agree with Tom here Doc.

The A-20 is really starting to pop ! The crew figures look very realistic too. Much better than I have ever done.

The canopy masking is great too. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment. Meanwhile enjoy your time off. You have earned a well deserved break. Maybe you can get some more work done.

Thanks for the updates.