Wardell Bridge, 1/72, scratch build, WIP

• 37 posts
  • Last reply 17 hours, 12 minutes ago
  • 1/72. Bridge, diorama, WIP
Viewing 1 - 15 of 37 posts
  • Peter Hausamann said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

My first model. Started this diorama last year and still working on it.

The Ballina Naval & Maritime Museum acquired the original console for the Wardell lift-span bridge (1964) [N.S.W., Australia]. Was asked to make it operate a model bridge, meaning that they also needed a working bridge. I was thinking of a small toy bridge, but was told to use an 8 x 4 foot display area. So it turns out they wanted a scale version of the whole Wardell bridge, spanning the Richmond River, with riverbanks. In other words a diorama (a new word for me). A scale of 1/72 fitted nicely across the 8 foot length.

To learn what I was about to get myself into, I spent a few weeks researching. Discovered that the model railway mob had a lot to offer. Parts-wise, the museum is non-profit, so funds are limited. So the idea is to make what I can with as little as possible. Also discovered that there were no plans or schematics for both bridge and console. Scratch building (another new word) had to be incorporated, and reverse engineering for the console.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

Showing the interior of the original console. The loose wires came about after the electricians cut all wires leaving the console to make console removal easy.

Building the display table.

Building the control box which will be installed later under the display table. This box will contain various electronics, motors and cable drive systems for raising and lowering the bridge span; also for a model boat traversing, up and down stream, under the bridge.

• Paul Barber said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I’m a little gobsmacked Peter, just picked up on this thread. First of all – Good Luck! It is looking both daunting and brilliant! How long do you have to bring it all together?

Paul , thanks for your well wishes and complement.

The curator wants a date so he can install it (a real Michelangelo scenario). The museum president does not care how long it takes as long as it works and looks good. Personally, I really cannot say, not even within a month. Hoping to finish sometime this year. I only work on this in my spare time (volunteer). Some weeks my casual paid job takes up my time.

The other issue is that this is my first model and there is much to learn and get skilled up in. As I progress, the model evolves more so. Details start to become more prominent than when I started. This both improves the quality of performance and appearance, but eats into the quantity _ which is time.

• david leigh-smith said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Peter. A daunting task but challenging and rewarding. I’ll keep an eye open for updates on this as it looks a hugely interesting and unusual piece of work. Please, if there’s anything we can help with just send a message, and please keep updating!

Thank you @david leigh-smith for visiting the blog and offering support.

Built new DC power supply for console. It will be using 5, 12, and 24 volts.

• Peter Hausamann said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Building the bridge span. Certain electrical connections needed for the span and span hut. Navigational lights also needed under the span.

Anchoring points for the pulley-cable system.

• Craig Abrahamson said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

There’s “modeling” (like most of us do) and then there’s MODELING – like YOU do. WOW!

Thank you @Craig Abrahamson for your complement.

Added bumper rollers (used microswitch arms). Also an opto-isolator switch to disable motor when span reaches thetop of bridge towers.

Thank you @yellow10, @dirtylittlefokker, and @craigindaytona for visiting my build and providing encouraging words. Much appreciated.

As you can see, I have been using timber, MDF board, Masonite, fishing swivels, microswitch parts, matchsticks, bamboo skewers, fly screen, Perspex, and card so far. They seem to do the job quite well.

The span is basically complete. The road base needs to be painted, and the Span Hut needs electronics to be installed. Will do that later. Next is the bridge towers.

• Peter Hausamann said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Before building the bridge towers I needed to know what pulley wheels I was going to use for raising the bridge span. Non were available for my needs. Finally came up with the idea of making my own. The wheels need to be large yet very narrow. Decided to sweat-solder a small washer between two larger ones. My first attempt did not look too good, but I learnt what was needed to get it right. Made eleven more pulley wheels.

• Peter Hausamann said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Building the bridge towers.

Decided to show how I dowel the joints.

Over eleven metres of 6 mm square timber (Tasmanian Oak) used for the towers.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 37 posts