Display Cabinets at the Office

• 8 posts
  • Last reply 3 years ago
  • display cabinet
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts
  • Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

My wife informed me years ago when I first got back into modeling as an adult that they would never be considered “home decor!” Luckily, I’ve always had latitude where I work (and room) that I have place my cabinets in my office. It definitely makes for interesting conversation when meeting new people at the office! (and occasionally inspires a bit of daydreamin’…)

I took pics of the 5 cabinets, then so you could actually see what’s in them, close ups of each shelf. Because the cabinets are all backed with mirrors and in florescent light, they are not the greatest, but I futzed with brightness, and color hue to try to get them decent.

40 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Rob Pollock said 3 years ago:

Greg, your display is the size of my whole modelling room (English houses are small). Seriously, some very nice models on view here.

PS re your bio query about building complete stash in lifetime, I have done this. Now only work on one project at a time with no safety net of stash. Ahh freedom….

• Frank Cronin said 3 years ago:

Greg,

Great display, Do you make your own stands? Your office has to be like a kid in a candy store.

• Craig Abrahamson said 3 years ago:

Great stuff, Greg….different scales, I assume. At least you don’t have to worry about dust! 🙂

To answer Frank’s question, I do make my own stands – pretty simple – cut wood to fit on my table saw, then stain & clear coat, drill angled hole for rod, cut acrylic rod (different sizes for different aircraft), a little epoxy, and there you have it! I then buy K&H brass strips from the hobby store and cut to length as needed, and use a labeler with clear label tape to make the name plates, which I epoxy onto the stand.

Craig – all 1/72 scale! When I first got back into the hobby, I did build some 48 scale stuff, but decided early on that it would take up too much space if I kept at it. I sold off all my 48-scale builds to a hobby store (apparently they were going to sell them as birthday cake decorations!) for store credit, and replaced them with 72 scale.

• Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 3 years ago:

Greg, whose cabinets are those? Commercially available?
    The only person I know who built his stash is Larry Schmidt, who posts on Hyperscale and is also a member here. Recently he was down to no kits. He’s since started up again. You and he are an inspiration to the rest of us. I love that B-25 of yours, early N. Africa schemes are amazing.
    Great story about birthday cake decorations! Never thought of that one! Wonder how that worked out?

• Richard Mcstay said 3 years ago:

Seriously impressive collection Greg!
    I want a nice cabinet like that but I’m holding out till I buy a house. Don’t fancy taking it apart again in a years time to move!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts