fw190 paint

Started by Vince Perry · 5 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Vince Perry said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Move this post if in wrong area. Please.

Looking for info on how to paint a 1/144 scale arii fw190 in the grey speckle scheme this will be by airbrush or anything y'all can add.

This bird will be part of a B17 shootdown dio

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 8 years, 7 months ago:

In 1:144 is not an easy task. I would make it by airbrush but with paper masks or with a reducer on the tip of the AB. Just a hint...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Vince, welcome!

I've been meaning to try microbrushes, which are a plastic toothpick looking (actually, like the buds used to clean the ears) with a little ball of sponge(?) on the end. Their use is to put small bits of glue on models in inaccessible places.

For your scale dilemma, wondering if you could use them for your mottling? Folks without airbrushes have been using bits of sponge to achieve the effect since I had hair, which is a couple of weeks ago... Kennedy was in the White House.

I've always felt that a lot of mottling was done "in the field" without an airbrush, using whatever was handy, rags, brushes, branches- so that a "rough" rather than a "refined" result was the end result. That's my argument, there was a war on! Also, there was a lot of aircraft wastage and replacement, so op-tempo meant "get it painted" for the next sortie.

On some aircraft, the application differed from one side or section to the other,

depending on the artistic ability or penchant of the Grunt(s) doing it. When I was an enlisted peasant, we just wanted to get it done, and avoid the wrath of the Sergeant and the Lt.

I'm thinking a nice B of B ME-109, with hastily applied mottling over the hellblau sides would be a good trial. I'll report back.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Vince, if you use a good quality acrylic, you can do this the old fashioned way with paint brushes. In that scale, hand brushing would be a lot easier. Thin the paint as recommended by the manufacturer and you shouldn't have any issues with brush marks or coverage.

As Bernard mentioned, a lot of those schemes were quickly applied in the field with whatever was handy, so hand brushing would be appropriate..

• Profile Photo
    Vince Perry said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks really new to the mottled look. Most IF not call were od of natural been a model railroader for past 17 years getting out as prices are looking more like collectors prices and I started building models back in the early 1970's.

Will post soon in a hurry left home forgot kits to build on the road (truck driver)

So might be a week or more before i can post anything again thanks