Painting a camo scheme using rattle cans and everyday materials….

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 3 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Someone here asked me how I create a camo pattern without the intricate use of the airbrush. Well, being from Massachusetts and basically lazy when it comes to airbrushes (all that disassembly, cleaning, re-assembly, changing colors, more cleaning, etc.), I employed a little "Yankee Ingenuity". I first paint the entire air frame with the lightest base color to be used. For example, SEA camo scheme = light tan overall. Then, depending on the scale and the pattern, I would sometimes use something as simple as an old handkerchief, t-shirt or other such material, and lay it on the fuselage and/or wings and apply a secondary color to get that feathered edge. OD over gray or GSB over white are two of the easiest ones. Back to the SEA multi-color scheme: once you have the base color on, simply take an old greeting card or one of those shirt insert thingies - something with a little thickness to it - and rip out (NOT CUT OUT) an odd-shaped opening, lay it over the area to be painted and spray through the opening. Once everything is dry, you can use the same piece to apply a different color (turning the piece over creates yet another shape). Splinter pattern schemes are more tedious to mask, but the same theory applies to those as well. Anyway, I've managed to achieve the desired results (for the most part) using the method(s) described. A little practice and anyone can do it "the easy way". Hope the explanation made sense. Happy Modeling.

• Profile Photo
    kloster zero said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you for this very interesting subject Craig.
    I'm not a great friend of the airbrush (2 minutes spraying equals 20 mn of cleaning ) so I will definitly try your technique. As you know the main problem is getting the right colours so I'll definitly check that model master range of cans.
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having some rough time with the airbrush...
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    kloster zero said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Craig

I just finished reading the old topic you started on being a "real modeler" or not and the answers posted. Just great ! I completely identify myself with your post and the reactions it triggered among the modelers I found where justified and funny.

I bought an expensive german airbrush and a compressor 10 years ago

foolishly believing it was going to be a magic wand that would make my models look like the master builders ones...I only use it for large surfaces when I dont find the proper rattle caned colour.

Concerning PE I've ruined a couple of expensive sprues (1/700 d ww2 destroyers look good with masts detailed and railings but once the PE is bent its impossible to correct or put back in place not to mention the gluing problem with parts so small.

After 30 years or so of modeling I still leave digital prints on fresh paint and glue my fingers together with the cyanide ...

Cheers