questions on the Nakajima sakae

Started by Paul Wilsford · 2 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 7 years, 8 months ago:

I have started the 1/24 scale Trumpeter Rufe and have sort of completer the engine but for one issue. Where is the magneto cover on the reduction unit go? I have or at least think I have assembled it according to the distructions but my finished product doesn't seem to match the line drawing. On the sheet it shows the magneto cover down between two cylinders but when I get everything else dry fitted it wants to go about 15 deg left as you are facing it.

I have looked at various photos and what i find is that they vary from photo to photo. straight up, straight down, 45 deg left or 15 deg left or not at all. I could use some info if any one has some on this engine.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Paul, that's going to be a tough one, as engine accessories varied in location from engine to engine depending on model and what aircraft they were installed on. There were even variations in engine installation on the same aircraft type. Best to determine what aircraft type and variant you have, work from there and hope that the installation was remotely standard. Found this that might help. These are on a Nakajima Gekko twin engine fighter, but shows some of the differences between two Sakae engines installed on the same aircraft:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Japanese/nasm_research.shtml