Seam filling

Started by Jaime Carreon · 24 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Ok, I have to ask - how do you fill your seams? It's not one of my favorite parts of the build - sometimes I can get it down really well and other times I can't fill a seam to save my life.

So what do you use and how do you use it?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I'd certainly welcome advice on this subject as well. I've been experimenting with dissolving sprue in some old liquid cement then using this as a filler. It seems to work OK, but you have to be careful when sanding it down, if you're a bit too enthusiastic it seems to get hot quite easily and starts to melt...

• Profile Photo
    David Painter said 10 years, 7 months ago:

For small thin seams and tiny sinkholes I like to use super glue. It can be sanded, polished, drilled and scribed just like plastic. Super glue sets in just a second with accelerator so there's no waiting time at all unlike putty. Always make sure to sand right away, before the glue gets harder than the surrounding plastic. I use Squadron green or Tamiya putty for large gaps. They both have a fine grain and sand nice, but you have to wait several hours before you can resume work.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 7 months ago:

If the seam is a minor one, I put a bead of CA in it with the point of a sewing needle, let it dry overnight, then sand smooth. If the seam is somewhat big, I fill it with either .10 or .20 thousandths plastic rod, such as that made by "Plastruct". I cut the plastic rod into sections then dip each section into a jar of liquid cement such as "Tenax " or "Proweld" for about one minute. I then put the rod into the seam and press it down with the flat edge of a #11 x-acto blade. I let this dry overnight then sand smooth. For really large seams, I fill with several pieces of plastic rod in the same manor as already mentioned, then cover that with "Porc-A-Filler". Porc-A-Filler is a putty used to repair porcelain sinks, tubs, and toilets. It has the consistency of melted ice cream, dries rock hard, and can be sanded/polished smooth. Once again, I let the whole thing dry overnight then sand. I have been using these methods for many years now and they have never failed me. By the way, Porc-A-Filler can be found at home depot or any well stocked hardware store.

• Profile Photo

I'm familiar with CA, but having used gallons of the stuff on my RC models, I've found it to be really hard to sand, especially if you hit it with kicker. Of course, this was mainly on wood, I've never tried it on plastic. I'm assuming you're using the gap filling (medium viscosity) CA.

I've been using Squadron green putty, applying it to the seam then removing the excess with a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover. This works really well, especially on wing / stabilizer to fuselage joints. The tube I just bought seems to resist this method; maybe they changed the formula. How do all of you deal with fuselage seams?

Is anyone familiar with Tamiya Mr. Surfacer?

• Profile Photo

As far as fuselage seams go, I rarely have to deal with them at all. I use Testors liquid cement that comes in the black plastic bottle with a syringe type applicator. This stuff is really a "Hot" glue and welds plastic together. I place a bead on both sides of the fuselage halves then press them together with a bit of pressure until I see some plastic ooze from the fuselage join. At that point, I clamp the fuselage and let it sit overnight. If done correctly, there should be a raised bead of plastic where the seam usually is. I just sand this bead smooth. Look mom, no seams.

• Profile Photo

I have a bottle of Tamiya liquid cement that I like pretty well, and a friend recommended using MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) applied with a small paintbrush as a hot weld type cement. Haven't tried that yet, but the Testors method sounds pretty interesting.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 7 months ago:

OK, for cement or bonder I like the Beauty Secrets finger nail polish thinner. Its the same exact stuff thats in Tamiya extra thin but 5 times the amount and for about $3.00 it just cheaper to but two or three and keep refilling the Tamiya bottle.

Moderate to large gaps or seams I can use stretched sprue or plasti-card then shave it down and sand smooth. The smaller ones I use either Squadron white or Tamiya white because they go on with less stress and have a creamy consistency. I have also heard of using auto body spot filler also.

• Profile Photo

Dude, whatever you do, do not play with MEK. Don't even bring it into your home! I used to work around that stuff and it is really bad news, especially if you do not own a high end respirator.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony C said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I like Mr Surfacer 500,it cleans up nicely

• Profile Photo

Agreed. Mr Surfacer 500 is an excellent product but it can be a bit messy at times. It also stinks to high heaven. Make sure to use it in a well ventilated area.

• Profile Photo

Seamus, copy on the MEK. I remember stripping deicer boots off Beech King Airs with that stuff when I was on the line years ago. You're right, it's nasty stuff.

Paul, that's good to know about the nail polish thinner. Might have to try to find some of that.

For those of you who use putty type fillers - what do you apply it with? I've been using toothpicks for the smaller seams, but that's adequate at best and not very good for larger seams.

There's some good info here, keep it coming!

• Profile Photo

On the occasions when I use putty to fill large seams, I apply it using an x-acto chisel blade.

• Profile Photo
    FHamdan (aka Faust) said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Generally, I use Tamiya (gray) putty and 3M Scotch-Blue painters tape to limit the filler area. Wait 24 hrs, peel the tape and sand as needed. You can also leave the 3M tape in place and lightly sand w/o damaging the surrounding area/details. But I really like the finer grain and self-sealing qualities of 3M Acryl Blue glazing putty. It sands well, has medium hardness and does not require a sealing coat before painting. WARNING: Use 3M Acryl Blue sparingly and mask-off the area to be filled as its hot to plastic. And don't use electrical tape with either product.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 7 months ago:

For application I bought a set of sculptor tools from Hobby Lobby and a small pointy palette knife. The sculptor tools have four tools of various sizes and shape that allow application in small areas as well. I also use the good ole Mk 1 finger.