Semi-Gloss Clear, Satin Varnish

Started by Johannes Gerl · 2 · 9 years ago · Satin Varnish, Semi-Gloss Clear
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 2 months ago:

I just quickly wanted to share my recent experiences with clear coats.

• Tamiya Semi-Gloss Clear X35.
      Basically works very good, but I find it a bit too flat. I haven't got the faintest idea why they sell the stuff that you need most in the small 10 ml jar only. Tamiya paints have that fatal tendency to start dusting after some time which means that they seam to dry on their way from the airbrush to the model, no matter how wet you coat. You can then rub them off with the finger nail. We are not amused.

• Alclad 2 Lacquer.
      Great expectations after the good quality of the metalizers, disappointing in my hands on my work bench. Flat Kote leaves hoarfrost. Lacquer base promises to create a hard surface - not at all.

• Vallejo Satin Varnish.
      Looks superb when it's on, subtle sheen, tough surface hardness, dries quickly, even smells good.
      The problem that I have no solution for: this stuff contains little smeary flocks that keep clogging my airbrush. Shake it, stir it, thin it down, heat it up, nothing helps. I've given it up.

Gunze Mr. Hobby Flat Clear
    Best product I've ever used. Dries to a super hard, continuously uniform, entirely flat surface, allows all sorts of coats from dry to wet, dries quickly ... just great. The only disadvantage: no semi-gloss variant available!

So, how to get a Vallejo like result with Gunze quality?
    I found out that 1 part Gunze Mr. Hobby Clear Gloss + 3 parts Flat Clear comes very close. I've tried from 1+5 to 1+1, but 1+3 is it!

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 2 months ago:

The biggest issues with any varnish no matter the finish, is humidity and temperature. Secondly, many model varnishes are lacquer based and dry almost instantly when in contact with main air flow in an airbrush. Lastly, if all else is correct, apply two or three light coats 9-12 inches from model and then ensure the model is immediately left to dry in warm, dry environment.

The Humbrol varnishes are ok, even Army Painter products too. Revell do a nice selection, and Dullcote is still fine as a flat. Oddly, many manufacturers advertise a matte varnish and it has a distinctive sheen, more an 'eggshell' sheen, so the definition of semi/matte etc seems to be interpreted differently by different makers.