1/72nd Fujimi F-4G Gulf War, USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 23 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years ago:

"Magnum"! is called out by Jim "Boomer" Schreiner as the AGM-88 HARM is launched off the starboard pylon on it's way to target, an SA-6 missile site. The F-4G banks to the left searching for a 2nd target of opportunity. And that is the life of a "Wild Weasel" mission searching and destroying anti aircraft radar and missile sites. Paving the way for strike packages going in with little opposition from the ground that can limit the ability to deliver their weapons and destroy their targets.

Finally getting everything in place to get my project started. My choice was the simple

Fujimi F-4G. Pretty basic kit that will allow me to complete it with in the GB timeframe. Especially after a late start. Mosly an OOB build, except for a set of MB ejection seats to replace the very generic kit bang seats and help a very basic cockpit that is provided. Though the kit does suffer some known shape issues on the basic airframe, it still looks like a Phantom when finished. And a set of decals for an F-4G that served and participated in Operation Desert Storm 1991. Also a set of EZ masks for the canopy.

A set of AGM-88's will come from the Hasegawa weapons set. As the kit represents an F-4G prior to the Gulf War.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Looks like a welcome addition, and I'm happy to see another 72 scale! I've built a couple of the Fujimi kits so far, and like you said - not a bad representation! I've got the Italeri version of the G, and may be inspired by what you end up with to also do a Gulf War Weasel, since I don't have a Phantom representing that era yet.

• Profile Photo

Lets see what is in the box. A kit that has fine engraved panel lines, light grey styrene plastic. Basic tub, instrument panel, control sticks, seats and decals that represent the IP, and side consoles. The intakes are blanked off no engine faces. Fujimi had released this series of F-4's in the mid 80's, adding bits to the various versions of the Phantom. Still relatively available on Ebay from 5.00 to 30.00 USD depending on the seller. This will be the 2nd Fujimi F-4 that I will build. The first one an F-4E did not survive the trip from Connecticut. I have had this in the stash since 1992. It may be the oldest kit I have. More to follow.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Ahh...the smell of unwrapped styrene in the morning...!

• Profile Photo

Lol, my sentiments exactly

• Profile Photo

Today we start with pre-painting some of the items before actual assembly will begin. First I usually airbrush all the items that will be in white, such as the rims, landing gear, wheel bays, inside the doors and intake. Next I will airbrush the cockpit and for this will be the standard Dk Ghost Grey, 36320, the tub, inside the fuselage halves, cockpit tub and control stick and IP panels. Trying to keep it simple I will build this with canopies closed. So not much other than the resin seats will be done to the cockpit. I brush some Future on the side consoles and IP's before applying the decals. I attached the cockpit tub to the lower nose panel to make it easier to handle. These Wolfpack resin seats are really nice. And easy to prepare for painting. A test fit and they fit perfect in the tub. What a difference compared to the kit seats. Really don't think this kit needs them, but just in case a little nose weight. Iffin I remember correctly most F-4 kits are pretty much balanced and will sit on the nose with out any weight. But better be safe than sorry. Quickly apply the decals, let it sit for a bit as I install the control sticks, and IP's after they are decalled as well. Once the cockpit is finished it won't take long to assemble the fuselage. Next time I will paint and detail the seats. Until next time thanks for viewing.

Chuck

Fly Navy

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 12 months ago:

Great little project, Chuck. Fujimis F-4s are not the newest plastic but will look good with some care and details added from the hand of a good modeller like you.
    Hasegawas F-4 are much better but sometimes hard to get and quite expensive. Beside that they need cockpit and other details as well.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Bernd for the praise, your correct the Fujimi F-4's are pretty basic compared to Hasegawa's excellent Phantoms. Haven't had the pleasure to build one and surprisingly do not have any in the stash.

• Profile Photo

Today I will work on the seats. The details much better than the kit seats and more accurate. OD upper cushions, Dark Green seat pan, the seat frame is black, Seatbelts 36320 Grey, and the yellow and black pull rings and safety handles. A test fit in the cockpit and make sure the canopy will sit properly over them when installed. Next time the wings to be installed. Thanks for viewing.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Actually we need to assemble the fuselage and intakes before getting to the wings. After adding some weight in the nose, cemented both halves and installed the cockpit tub. Fit is good here but the IP's really sit to deep in both front and rear positions. Won't fix it and will leave as it is for this build. The canopy will be assemble closed. I use Pro Weld cement to glue the halves together as it tends to create a filler between the halves than Tenax does. Which limits the use of filler to fill the gaps. Though putty will be needed to fill the sink holes on the spine. Next I will paint the areas under the intake splitters 36320 Ghost Grey before installing them, as it will be hard to paint when installed. Once installed then the intakes are next. The F-4 is huge, but I amazed how much bigger the F-101 is. As I am also working on Revell's F-101B and sitting next to the F-4 on the bench is very noticeable. Next is to paint the exposed areas of the cockpit black before moving forward to the wings. More to follow.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good. Kinda funny that I also have a 101 on my bench at the same time as my Phantom! Incidentally, they are both RF versions - the 101 is Hawegawa's old RF-101. It's been sitting build and ready for paint for about 6 months - I got distracted... but going to finish it off right after the Phantom and after I finish a quick (hopefully) P-40N build that a friend wanted me to do with him (mine is 72, his is 32).

I built both of my Fujimi Phantoms OOB, so wondering to see if you plan to do any improvements or detailing...

• Profile Photo

That is incredible that my F-101 is also ready for paint, was planning to do so this weekend iffin it don't rain. (yeah it never rains in So California). The only upgrades for the Phantom are the seats, weapons and decals. Otherwise it will be the base kit for the most part. The F-101 will be in ADC Grey, been holding off for a set of decals I have not ordered as yet.

• Profile Photo

The Fujimi kits will add extra parts or sprue for whatever variant is in the kit. So the basic airframe and wings may be the same in each boxing, just add whatever parts supplied to represent the variant that is being built. So the lower wing will have some holes opened up for what I believe are the slat actuators which there are three on each side. So we do this and install them. Next I add the upper wing panels and test fit it onto the fuselage and then proceed to install the complete wing assembly to the fuselage. Fit is good here, no gaps along the line on the RH side, not so on the LH side, as I do have a gab right at the leading edge to intake seam. This won't be difficult to fix. Clean up the seams and set aside. Next up the chin pod under the nose will next be installed. Again fit is good here as well. Next time is to clean the seams and some filler work. Otherwise the airframe is finished. More to follow.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

My RF-101 will be SEA scheme, but I've also got the Revell kit in the stash and will do ADC scheme like you. I'm really looking for a single-seater non-RF version, so I can model one in NMF like my dad flew out of England.

• Profile Photo

The G is looking good Chuck! Of all the Phantoms in my stash, I don't have a G, but you're making me want to look for one!