Academy's F-4 "Good Evening Da Nang" build (the cockpit's done).

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 16 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years ago:

My first in-depth foray into the dreaded photo-etch world. I'm stoppin' right here before I mess it up further - there are supposed to be a few more "fiddly-bits" added, but I'm satisfied with the way it look as is. Anyhow, I'm puttin' it aside and movin' on to sumthin' else (probably the gear).

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 8 years ago:

Looks like if you pull the face curtain handles the seats would eject! Nice work!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Robert...hope the rest of the build turns half as good! I'm jus' waitin' for the other shoe to drop. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 8 years ago:

That cockpit looks great Craig. Keep up the good work!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years ago:

You are doing well on your`e first bash at P.E Craig.
    Nice office mate.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 8 years ago:

Looks good to me.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years ago:

The cockpit on my F-4B in similar, and I've also left out some of the "fiddly" bits, haven't done the seats yet though... yours is looking good, Craig.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 8 years ago:

Lovely work Craig nice to see

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Looking good!

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years ago:

Awesome! I bought the F-4B version of this PE set, hope mine turns out as well. Those Eduard boxings are sure a good deal, I have paid much more buying individual sets. Anyway it looks great keep it up!

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 8 years ago:

Craig,

WOW! this looks excellent. If I ever get back to doing mine I may have to close and tint the canopies just to hide my sitting place from the fine work you have done. Can't wait to see the completed model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the words of encouragement, fellas...I'm happy with the way it turned out (now if I can finish the rest of it without messin' it up, I'll be a happy camper),

• Profile Photo

After MAJOR plastic surgery, much aggravation/frustration (which continues), I finally managed to get the cockpit-bottom fuselage to [sorta] fit. I was oh so happy with the way my PE emblazoned cockpit turned out, and now it's effectively ruined. I'll have to reconstruct what I can by working between the canopy rails and reach what I can. This is NOT turning out as I'd hoped. Maybe there's enough patience left in me to produce a fair build after all. We'll see. Although there's plenty of room for error in my future with this kit.

Suffice is to say, after TWO debacles with that Academy Phantom, I'll stick to Tamigawa from now on - at least I KNOW they'll fit "normally".

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years ago:

Craig, you can always put a scale tarp over the canopy. Or put crew in it. Or make it look like a hangar queen. Out to pasture. Used for repair drills. At Davis Monthan, left in the weeds. Awaiting resurrection or turning into saucepans. Dang, getting morbid.
    Lets both go have a beer...
    I know you're gonna beat this into submission.
    Whisper to it that it's headed for drone conversation.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years ago:

I've had similar problems with this, Craig, and haven't really solved them yet. I think Brian Scott posted a WIP with a way to solve this, but it's probably too late now. I'm of the opinion that the only good thing about all that PE is that it adds weight to the nose!