D-Day Build – 1/48 AMT A-20G Havoc

Started by Jaime Carreon · 48 · 9 years ago · A-20, D-Day
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years ago:

Now that the workbench is cleared, it's time to get started on the D-Day project. This is the old AMT 1/48 A-20G Havoc, which will be painted in the markings of the 410th Bomb Group, 9th Air Force. I'll be adding True Details wheels, which also came with the life raft that goes behind the cockpit. This will rectify the one major visible omission of the kit. Decals are from Pyn-Up. The European A-20's are woefully under-represented as far as decals go, and these are for glass-nose airplanes. Mine has a gun nose, Originally I thought I could swap the B/C nose from the other kit I have, but the later J-models have different nose glazing, so I'll probably scrounge up the aircraft letter and serials for a G.

Here we go...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years ago:

Actually, with all that you and I discussed about this kit, I failed to mention that the True Details wheels are a must for this kit and not so much for the life raft either. The kit wheels are absolutely horrible. They have this weird scalloped tread design that cannot be fixed. Good on you for getting the wheels. Incidentally, I was over at a mate's house looking through his stash and came across a Koster's vacuform kit of the A-20. The box illustration was of a gun nosed G from the 410th BG. I remember the nose art on this G was the name RUTH. I cannot recall the code letters though. If you want, I can call me mate and ask him what the codes were in case you want to do a generic A-20G from this group. I can also get you the decal sheet from the kit as my mate has no intention of building it. He only purchased it to use the detail parts in it on his AMT A-20.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

Seamus is correct. This is one detail this kit needs. Otherwise I am looking forward to seeing this finished. I have this kit also, have the decals and detail bits for it. But it is a long term project for me. As a multi engine plane will take me about a year to complete. So have fun Jaime.

Chuck

• Profile Photo

Got started on the kit yesterday afternoon. Mostly interior painting for now, but as soon as I get some assembly done, I'll shoot some pictures.

A few observations about this one. The plastic in my kit is very soft. The sprue attachments on the fuselage halves were huge, and if care isn't used removing them, there will be holes to fill. There are mold nubblies all over the place, the worst one being on part #34, which is the nose gear strut torque links, which are tiny. It will be difficult to get those off without destroying the part. The exhaust outlets around the cowl are molded as separate parts, so there will be 28 little plastic blobs of joy to attach before painting. Why they didn't just mold them onto the cowl is beyond me. Same goes for the vertical fin, which is a separate part. The nose is two separate halves that are then joined to the main part of the fuselage. I read several reviews that say to attach these to the fuselage before gluing them together. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Seamus, you're correct about the kit tires. Not only is the tread weird, but they are flattened enough to look like someone let half the air out of them! PM inbound on the decals...

Chuck, my last 1/48 twin (A-26) took eleven years to finish. Hopefully this one will go a little faster...

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 10 years ago:

Jamie,
    You will love this kit. For it's age it is still well engineered. I look forward to seeing it completed.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years ago:

Just a note Jaime, but SAC (Scale Aircraft Conversions) does a landing gear set for this kit in white metal. Goes for about 15.00 in case you are interested.

• Profile Photo

Got a little bit done to the A-20 today. Here is the cockpit floor and seat. Belts are my usual masking tape with copper wire buckles. I never seem to be able to get those things as narrow as I would like, but they came out ok. I'll touch them up with some dark brown a bit later to make them look more worn. The True Details life raft can be seen behind the seat. Lots of detail stuff still to paint. It would have been nice if there had been a decal for the instrument panel...Also got the nose sections onto their respective fuselage halves. Fit was pretty good; I may not have to do anything to them.

Seamus, I may look into the gear. What's in the kit looks pretty fragile.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

My Tamiya Lancaster has been going on since 1999. So I know how it is. In fact did some work on the engines the other day. Otherwise it is on the work bench whenever I get back to it. At the time there wasn't much in a way of detail bits to help it. But things have been made available since that time.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Jaime, it` looking good mate.
    I have got the Revell Version in the stash, and it has the same sort of thing for the exhausts.
    Will be watching your progress.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 12 months ago:

After a short hiatus to finish my little Ki-61, it's back to work on the A-20. Cockpit is now complete. Seamus sent me an instrument panel decal from a short run A-20 kit. It needed a little trimming to fit the panel, but I think it's an improvement over just drybrushing the panel. The panel instrument faces had no detail on them, which was taken care of by the decal. The rest of the panel was drybrushed with some white, with red and yellow details added so the panel wouldn't look so bland. The sidewall panels were finished in the same manner, using some internet photos for color reference. The entire assembly was then then given a black wash to accentuate some of the detail, followed by some silver chipping in wear areas. The life raft was painted and added behind the pilot's seat.

The box under the cockpit floor is the nose wheel well.

A few little quirks - the forward cockpit bulkhead doesn't quite fit correctly with the rest of the cockpit in place, so the forward alignment tabs on the fuselage sides were removed, which solved the problem. The kit bomb bay detail is not worth using, so I'm going to leave the doors closed. All the exterior doors are molded in the closed position - to show them open, you have to cut them apart. There are no tabs in the fuselage to mount the bomb doors to, so these were made from scrap and glued to the fuselage. The gun nose is molded as two separate halves, which I've already glued to the main fuselage. If you use a little care in alignment, no filler will be needed at the joint and assembly will be a little easier to deal with.

Gun turret is next...

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Wow! It doesn't look a decal anymore.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Nice start, Jaime. I have the same kit, but inappropriate decals for D-Day. Care to sell the ones you don't use?

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 12 months ago:

G'Mornin' Jaime , it's coming on nicely, it was nice of S to give you the instument panel decal ,that's what iModeler is all about.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Morning, Neil! It was good of Seamus to send that, made a world of difference in the way the panel looks. It was a busy weekend with the holiday and all, wish I could have gotten a bit more done.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 11 months ago:

It's been a while since I've been able to work on this project. Life went on - there were two college graduations to attend; the first was my son's master's ceremony from the University of Florida, the second was a friend's son from the University of Texas. Then the youngest came home from college for the summer, but not after his car ate an idle air control valve, necessitating a few trips to Beaumont and back. The car was in his dorm parking lot under a nice big oak, giving new meaning to shade tree maintenance. There were two birthdays (and another one coming). And we can't forget...work.

So, after the grandson left this afternoon, I headed out to the fiasco hatchery...uhhh...shop The goal was to get the fuselage together today. The turret was painted and assembled. No drama there except that the guns fit pretty tightly into their slot, so some care was needed. An ounce of weight was added to the nose. The cockpit and turret were positioned before the fuselage halves were glued together. If there was ever a need for a third hand, trying to get the turret to stay in place while lining up the fuselage halves was it. Fuselage fit was good or bad, depending on what part of it you are on. I ended up gluing in sections, starting from the nose and using Tamiya thin liquid cement. The fit at the nose was horrible, but it got better as I went aft. I used lots of rubber bands and masking tape to hold it all together as I went.

I was pretty damn proud of myself after I got it together, until I noticed the wing spar lying on the bench where I left it so I wouldn't forget to install it. After a few colorful four letter metaphors, I trimmed off the high spots on the spar (they keep it from falling out of the fuselage) and slid it through the slots, gluing it into position after a lot of eyeballing. Horizontal stab was assembled and glued to the back end. Fit is actually pretty good there. The vertical fin was also assembled, but I'm not going to add it until I fill the seams on the horizontal. Why they didn't mold the fin with the fuselage is beyond me. Would have saved a lot of extra work.

Assembled the wing halves also. Dry fit was not great, there will be some seams to fill there...Hopefully, I can get a little more done tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll make the deadline, but ya never know...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.