i’m in…verlinden 120mm Waffen S.S. figure ”Hitler Jugend”

Started by bob mack · 18 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    bob mack said 9 years, 12 months ago:

started today

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Nice one Bob I don`t think there are any figures yet.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Figures seem little represented around here. Good to see you taking the plunge. Any plans as to how you are going to paint the smock?

• Profile Photo

probably close to the colors on the box...i'm partial to the orange rust yellow...i guess autumn...i don't think the time of year much mattered...once they issued you one you probably wore it till it fell off you...i'll bet some wore winter white in the summer...and it was raining on d day...i wouldn't doubt if the temperature wasn't in the 40's...i really love the bright shocking green inside the the black spots.. the spots are great but the woodland with the rain is cool too...the rain might be hard to pull off in this scale at least with an airbrush and cutting slits in masking tape...it's about a 6" figure...i'm no expert...any input is welcome...they usually wore canvass suspenders and ammo pouches but it looks like they molded the black leather with the rings...like i said i'm sure they wore what they got and what they had...you know how the army is...i'm shooting for the 17 and 18 year old hitler youth at caan...they put up a hell of a fight...see below

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 12 months ago:

What I meant was what medium are you going to use? Acrylics, enamels, oils, or a combination of the aforementioned?

• Profile Photo

i'll use anything i've got seamus...i'm not a purist...acrylics oils and enamels...i really mean it...i use ace hardware sprays...k mart $3.00 spray cans...paints paint man...modellers are sold a bill of goods about fine pigments imho...as the seals say...adapt and overcome...if we were in prison we'd find a way to paint them with kids water colors...there ARE bad paints...the helldiver i just finished had ace white gloss on the bottom...the intermediate blue was gunze mr. color intermediate blue mixed with modelmaster enamel lichtblau and MM enamel turquoise ...the top tamiya water base ...all cut with lacquer thinner...the best primer hands down is alclad grey primer filler but i'll use MM buffing metalizer if that's all i've got or tamiya water base or ace gloss black...i hate future...i like gloss cote and dull cote but i'll use future i just think it sucks...alclad aqueous water gloss is lovely especially on alclad silver...on his face i might base coat with tamiya water base...then go in with enamels...might throw a seinna oil wash on...days later might roll over that with an enamel MM flesh glaze...then some dull cote...i'm like lighten up francis...just try to capture the essence and drop the science...pretty weird huh

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Good luck on the resin Bob! I also agree about Future. It belongs on the floor, that's why Testors makes glosscote! (Although I do have a canopy I'd like to try it on.) How do all the various paints react with the lacquer thinner, particularly the acrylic? I was painting a Yak-15 once and accidentally bought some MM Acryl and cut it with thinner like usual. It looked very interesting in the bottle and I had a sneaking suspicion I had just made a mistake! Suspicion confirmed when said mixture hit the model! Instant texture painting!

• Profile Photo

yes your right on mm acryl it really needs to be cut with it's own thinner or water...i do dip my canopies in future...that way if you make a mistake you can soak it in windex or ammonia and get another start...believe it or not it's a good cut for any water base paint...spray it on all most transparent then build it up...it's like glass...sometimes i'll mix it and it looks rough as a cats tongue then i'll hit it with gloss and it instantly turns glassy where as it might take several coats with out it...and it makes the water base rock hard...but as a clear coat it flows all over the place ...it pools and runs...and decals adhere way better to gloss coat...it just sucks them down...i can't believe future became such a fad...great tip on the brush...thank you for that

• Profile Photo

thank you si...how's that academy coming

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Looking forward to seeing another of your amazing figures Bob.
    N.

• Profile Photo

thank you Neil...i hope it is amazing...here's a little more

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 12 months ago:

You'll only not like Future till you use it. So much better than @#$#@! Glosscote.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I'm kinda like you when it comes to painting. I am constantly trying different brands. However when it comes to Future I'm a user & a firm believer. I will say I won't attempt to spray it. Brushed on only.
    Look forward to seeing your finished piece.
    I might have missed it above but are you going to create a vignette for it?

• Profile Photo

my mother said future is junk...and she knows...smile

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I cannot even find the stuff, let alone use it.