HK Models Dornier 335b-2

Started by William Alvin Hillocks · 3 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    William Alvin Hillocks said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Guys,anyone who can advise.

I am starting to build the highly rated HK Models Do335. The painting instructions would have you do the bomb bay and undercarriage in RLM66 Schwarzgrau. I was under the impression that such areas in Luftwaffe aircraft were al;ways RLM02 Grau with RLM 66 being used basically for the cockpit and engine interior area. Does anyone out there know what the right answer is for the undercarriage and bomb bay? Maybe towards the end of the war the Luftwaffe used any colour they could lay their hands on.

Many Thanks
    Alvin

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Alvin, that late in the war, I suspect anything goes. Me, I'd go with 02 in the bay. Makes no sense to me to have a darkish armament bay, given it's in shadow already. Miss the right clip or whatzis in the gloom, and kaboom! So far as the gear legs, what does the ME-262 or Arado have? 02 again, though unpainted might also be a possibility. Get it built and off to the user units to try to block the allied onslaught. Recall that underwings on late war 262s and Fw-190s were unpainted, partially primed, half primed, et cetera.

Whatever is left is restored, which isn't always up to whatever spec existed, if any.

And, as I'm fond of telling the doubters and pecksniffs, when was the last some wizzend 90ish German former schwartzmanner ever corrected one of us on some arcane point of RLM application? Bloody unlikely, sez I.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 7 years, 7 months ago:

I'd say unpainted bays, just aircraft aluminium with a dark wash. Even late-war cockpits only had a partial paint finish - waist-up on the pilot- with the lower areas left in bare metal. Trouble is, some model manufacturers use restored museum examples for their measurements/finishes and these are often a mix 'n match affair.