Images

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 10 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I have been able to post images on this site since day one, but now today for some reason I am getting an error on being able to do so? Anything new to the site that I should know about. Was able to get one image to post but none of the others will. Tried selecting other images to see if they would upload no joy. Tried the reboot and still no upload. Any ideas?

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Chuck,

We have made a tiny little change in how the image storage is organized but nothing that should have affected you this way. Checking the logs, I can see that you have attempted uploading a total of 12 different image files since 5th Nov, but somehow only two made it to the articles. Not sure about the reason for this, except that some of the images were really big (over 4000x3000px).

How about retrying these one at a time and see which one (if any) is causing trouble...

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 7 years, 5 months ago:

I can confirm that we have a problem. some images being rejected by the system with Error: Error. I will ask our tech people to investigate this.

• Profile Photo

Did anyone else experience the problem, i.e image uploads ending with "Error : Error" lately?

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the quick reply Martin, A least you were able to narrow the reason let me try again and see if I can post an image. Nope still got an error.

• Profile Photo

Chuck,

I was just informed that were able to locate the source of the issue and deploy a fix. Please feel free to retry your files an tell me how it goes.

• Profile Photo

Great lets do a test right here. Yay, just like the national elections in the United States! It works

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So Martin what was the issue causing this?

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Happy to relay an explanation:

"A while ago we have experienced problems with some photos uploaded from iPhone/iPad not being rotated correctly. To remedy this, functionality was added in the uploader that reads EXIF data of the images in order to properly rotate them when needed. This functionality has been working just fine but is in itself relying on an external Exif library module. It would seem that after our recent move to the new server, we have received a different version of the library.

EXIF data is the additonal textual data saved in the image file that is designed to hold information on the type of camera used, lens/aperture settings, location of the photo, orientation etc. It is supposed to be standard but its practical use is notoriously "dirty", typically being populated to rather liberal standards by all kinds of devices and programs that take, edit, resize and even copy your photos. What happened here is that due to whatever discrepancy our Exif function could not properly read picture orientation values from some of your images (not that there was necessarily something wrong with the pictures themselves - it might be a bug in the Exif library or junk/unexpected data in the corresponding Exif fields). This error has been causing the upload process to fail uncontrollably with "Error: error" as a visible result.

A simple improvement in EXIF error handling (one line of code) remedied the problem. "

Pardon the lenghty explanation, but this could perhaps give some insight into how we're working - it's getting a bit technical sometimes 🙂

/m

• Profile Photo

I understand, technology it is not a simple explanation. Sometimes you need to show them as trying to explain it just sometimes people will not picture the process.