What's going on in Headlines?

Started by George Williams · 6 · 8 years ago · Are you sure these postings should be in Headlines?
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Martin, I'm somewhat confused. A while ago I posted a genuine query regarding a model I was building in Headlines and you moved it to one of the groups as you didn't think it was appropriate for the Headlines. Now there are more and more somewhat inappropriate postings in Headlines, including at least two blatant advertisements...one of the results of this is that members' genuine postings of new models completed are disappearing off the front page too quickly to be seen by many people. We all enjoy this site, but have you changed your policy? Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot, George.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 1 month ago:

I've been noticing the same thing of late. To my mind, "questionable content" appearing in the Headline forum. I, too, was under the assumption that this was for completed builds. There are, as you pointed out, groups available for all other postings of that nature. It seems lately one can post pretty much anything in "Headlines". I'm curious as to Martins response as well.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 years, 1 month ago:

@chinesegeorge: you are right, I have been travelling lately so my overview of the headlines was somewhat lagging... done now. Yes, we would like to keep the headlines in a way that presents a good experience for the reader, so outright ads, asking questions and generally posts with no informative content do not belong there. I don't however, mind a producer or professional modeler writing a story about his/her work or achievements - it is a blogging environment and as long as what you do is blog to your readership, you should be fine.

In this way, the headlines are NOT like a discussion forum, but rather like a co-created publication. The Groups area is for discussions without restrictions to the post format.

@craigindaytona - I believe that headlines should not be reserved only for completed builds - there's a value to welcome all your ideas there, unless, as mentioned, they represent a good storytelling and contribute to the readers' experience. That said, obviously presentation of a completed build falls into this category 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Vincent Perry said 8 years, 1 month ago:

My bad being somewhat new here didn't catch the proper area when i posted my 1/144 ww1 kits feel free to move them if you haven't already

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the clarification/explanation, Martin...appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Martin, thank you for your reply, and I can see that you've removed one of the advertisements.