1/48 Hasegawa P-40N

Started by Tom Bebout · 22 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years ago:

Should be starting on this soon, I've been wanting to build this for awhile. I've built Hasegawa's P-40E and it is a really nice kit. Hopefully the N will be the same, can't imagine why it wouldn't. I'll be doing Geronimo! Also picked up some extra goodies to enhance the build.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years ago:

Welcome to the group, Tom. Looks like you picked a great subject!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Now you're cooking ! This P-40 is a great choice. I'll be watching this one for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years ago:

Agree with Louis - great choice, Tom...lookin' forward to it as well.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years ago:

Yes good choice Tom.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years ago:

Pulling up a seat and getting comfortable - this is going to be lovely!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Nice choice Tom, a great subject!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 12 months ago:

Tom, favorite scheme of mine, ever since I saw it in the old Aircam on the P-40. Great story behind the scheme, too. Then I saw one on the airshow circuit, piloted by a real cutie!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Since the Tiffy is completed it's time to get busy on the P-40N. As usual construction begins with the cockpit, and it just mystifies me that with all the great detail included in this kit they use such a cheap looking seat. Consequently I used an aftermarket Quickboost one as an alternative.

All interior detail was hand painted and then I used a brown wash to bring out some detail. For the instruments I optioned to use the decal that came with the kit. However, I sanded down some of the detail before applying the decals. Once dried I covered them with dull coat to eliminate the sheen. Took a toothpick and dropped some Model Master gloss clear acryl to bring out the glass. Now the kit comes with a four piece fuselage . I assume it was done so Hasegawa could also make this N model into an K model. Rather than gluing the tail section together I optioned to glue them to the front sections first before attaching the two sides. That way I was assured all the panel lines lined up. More to come

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looking sharp!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Coming together nicely Tom.

• Profile Photo

Cockpit came together really well

The next step was to insert her, along with the oil coolers into the side of the fuselage and close her up. She'starting to look like a P-40 with the wings and horizontal stabilizers attached. Could see some paint on her soon, however, there seems to be a little confusion about the underside color as well as the top coat. Have to do a little more research, the instructions say duck egg blue for the underside with sand on top. Have to do some more checking before I commit to painting her. Saw something on another site that I'm trying here. Took some transparent green and added it to the edges of the glass gun sight to give it more of a realistic glass appearance. Stand by more to come.

• Profile Photo

The canopy has been masked and the duck egg blue sprayed on the underside. I used Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan for the upper surface. Not sure if it's correct but it looks OK to me. Next I applied the decals, I used Fundekals for the stars and bars as Hasegawa seems to have trouble producing a true white color.

On to a coat of Future/Pledge then some detailing on the panel lines, and the bits and pieces and we're done. The exhause stacks are aftermarket and wheels are as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Now you're cooking Tom ! The P-40 is really looking sharp, and it has gone together rather quickly too. I really like the tip about painting the edge of the gun sight glass with a green. It would probably work on other things like the side edges of an armored glass plate like they used behind wind shields and such... Thanks for the update. The P-40 looks great in overall Tan.

• Profile Photo

Crash building to get across the finish line. Add some exhause stain and this puppy is done.