Examples

Started by Jaime Carreon · 31 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Here are just a few examples of the subjects you can model. There are thousands to choose from, so the skies the limit!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 2 months ago:

So this is what I have in mind

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Here's a cutie!

• Profile Photo

This one is very basic, but very cool. I had it painted on the front left armor panel on the turret of my M1 tank. It was the symbol of "Deathriders" of D-Company, 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment and we were stationed in Fulda, (then) West Germany. We were the 'keepers' of the "Fulda Gap" and OP Alpha, our border camp. This was taken around 1984 or '85. I was there from 1983 through 1990.

(If you're wondering, that strip-looking "stripe" running through the horse's legs was Velcro which we glued all around the turrets to hold the MILES target sensors. The MILES system is a training aid which combines laser "guns" and laser sensors, along with a Hoffman device which fired a smoke charge to simulate the tank firing as well as a yellow revolving light (we called it a Whoopie Light) which would begin flashing if your vehicle got hit. The MILES system included sets for Tanks, Personnel Carriers, Infantry & Cavalry Fighting Vehicles, Artillery pieces, MLRS vehicles and all other armoured vehicles PLUS soft-skinned vehicles (HUMVEES, Jeeps, 2 1/2 Ton trucks, etc.) as well as individual soldiers. There were even kits to install on helicopters, but no velcro-attached strips for the flying machines!)

• Profile Photo

Good start! Keep 'em coming! That Alpha Jet is pretty cool...

• Profile Photo

It's kind of hard to see in the small photo, but the horse's eyes & the Deathrider's eyes are red as well as a small 'drop' of red blood on the tip of the Battle Axe. Many thanks to the rock band Molly Hatchet and one of their album covers which is where the Deathrider idea originated.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Here's a few I plan on building.
    First up will be the new ICM kit in 1/48 scale of a Dornier Do-17Z. Thank to Alan Price for this photo of his completed model.

Next will be a plane that has a special meaning to it for me. I had a relative that actually flew at least 7 combat missions in this plane. He was a top turret gunner and flew with the 321st Bomb Group out of Corsica. He and the rest of his crew was killed while flying in a B-25J named "Evora" on October 3rd, 1944, when their B-25 took a direct hit from an 88 MM flak gun over the target. His name was Tom Bricen and his remains were buried in the military cemetery in Florence Italy, along with the rest of his crew. I have found out that Tommy flew at least 7 missions in "Stuff", seen in this photo below of a model built by Tom Bebout.

I now have a set of decals in hand, and had planned on building this 1/48 Monogram B-25J kit later on in the year. This GB is the perfect opportunity and excuse to do it...

If I can get these other two done, I plan on building another Monogram golden oldie. It's another 1/48 kit and is a B-24 J called 'The Dragon and It's Tail" I have the decals and kit for this project too. It was another project I had planned on building later in the year.
    Here's a photo of the actual plane.

I want to use bare metal foil to represent the bare aluminum finish on this one.

If time permits and building goes as planned, I may have more additions...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Jeff, that's a group I haven't heard of since I had long, luxurious, brown hair. Oh, happy days...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 2 months ago:

3 models during a campaign, daaammmm

• Profile Photo

David, I still listen to them, (MH) once in a while. While i was in the Army, I rigged a Sony Walkman to play music over our intercom system. We would go downrange on a Gunnery exercise listening to great tunes in our internal communication system ... until the Army decided to record what the crew said during each firing exercise! (To make sure all the fire commands & crew duties were "by the book.") That was the end of cool music while shooting gunnery! We could still listen during other maneuvers - and did, because there was no radio transmitting our intercom chatter - but no longer while shooting. 🙁 Those were the days ...

• Profile Photo

Here's some good ones!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

... And a couple more, with one for Louis G ( @lgardner ) ...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Funny you should mention having music on the intercom Jeff. I did the exact same thing ! It must have been a tanker thing. We found out that you could use the batteries from a PRC-77 back pack radio to power the "other" radio too. The commo mechanics were upset about it and our stereo had to come out. But it was great when it was hooked up.

David, I had that Molly Hatchet album back in the day ! Later in life I even got the chance to work as security for them at a few free concerts they did in Daytona Beach during the annual Bike Week.

Good times.

Meanwhile here's a few more pictures of some Korean War tanks that were painted with big Cat nose art faces on the front slope and turret.
    M-26 Pershing's

Followed by a few M-4 Sherman tanks.

It may encourage another build ...

Enjoy.

• Profile Photo

I had planned on building something like this for the "Year of the Cat " GB but ran out of time.

• Profile Photo

One of the things I like about this is that there is always a human story behind the artwork...