Another Hobby Shop Bites the Dust.

Started by Josh Patterson · 2 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 2 months ago:

As I was searching the internet at 2:00 a.m. this morning, I decided to get the hours for Greenfield News and Hobby as I was planning to go there today. It's a good thing I decided to look as I found they are closing there doors sometime this month after fifty years. (They start liquidation February fourth.) For something special to remind me of what would be possibly my final purchase at the store, I decided I would buy the 1/32 HK B-17 if it was still there. So I trucked on down to Milwaukee in my trusty Alfa for a 160 mi round trip...In a blizzard...With bald tires. (Had they not been closing, I would've saved the excursion for a better day and better tires, but I simply had to go.) Alas, the B-17 had already sold so a Revell Spanish Galleon (my first real attempt at a ship) and a Moebius Cylon Raider came home with me. He also said he'd try to get the five Airfix Lightning F.1 kits I was after.

One of the reasons stated for the closure was lack of youth participation. They stated that the average age of the customer was around 50. Ladies and gentlemen, we need to get the younger set hooked on this in some form and weened off of instant gratification pre-built models if these shops are to survive.

Needless to say that I am saddened by this. There were four hobby shops that I would take the drive to Milwaukee once or twice a month for to make the rounds. This was the largest, selling plastic models RC planes and cars, model railroad equipment, rocketry and art supplies. They also had a large magazine and book section. Some of the sections were bigger than some entire hobby shops I've been in and the only one I can think of like it that I've been to is HUB Hobbies in Minneapolis. I was one of the seven cars waiting when they opened their doors. (This has been the case on every occasion I got there early. People waiting for the doors to open.) I mentioned to the owner who was shoveling snow that it felt like I was going to a funeral. I do hope a buyer steps up at the eleventh hour and saves this wonderful shop from oblivion.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 2 months ago:

In England, at the nationals at any rate, there are sessions aimed at young people, with kits (simple 1/72 aircraft usually) provided by Airfix. I've noticed too that there are a few younger people at regional shows. However, to run a business on the basis of a few younger modellers buying cheap kits is a big ask.

Conversely, it's usually the older, cash rich modeller, returning to the hobby after many years, who drives the trade in complex, expensive kits (Tamiya Corsair £100+). The kit manufacturers don't help. It's seldom the case that you see kits, even very old kits, discounted in the same way that other commodities are discounted after a fair time in the retail spotlight.

There's no easy answer to the issue, any more than there is to factory closures or mortgage defaultings. People make their choices, and bits of mass produced plastic replicating yet another Spitfire or 109 are probably not always top of the list.

As with any hobby, there will be die-hard devotees. Maybe it's you. Maybe it's me. Maybe a year from now we'll decide there are better ways to spend our money and our time.

The issue doesn't just affect traditional shops. A large, seemingly successful Internet shop - Netmerchants- closed down a year or so back with very little notice. Similarly, a national model chain - Modelzone - closed its doors after years of High Street trading last year, this, locally, with the result that a more traditional model shop in the city benefited from the additional trade and seems to be going stronger than ever.

What goes around, comes around.