Motorbike Windscreen

Started by Johannes Gerl · 9 · 6 years ago · glue, motorbike, windscreen
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Dear iModelers,
    what would be your strategy to glue this transparent part to the till then fully painted cowling part?
    My so far considerations: fix it with tape and rubber bands, add a drop of Tamiya Extrathin and hope that neither the paint nor the transparent plastic will be harmed in any visible way. This appears highly risky to me though, especially given that it's probably the final touch to the whole model.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I have used uhu though you need to use a tiny smear and apply pressure which can be tricky. It is also stringy so be warned. You will need to test it on clear sprue waste and a piece of painted plastic sprue. There are good bike model builders on this site they will have better tips than myself I suspect.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I've had good luck with Testors clear parts cement, though you will have to secure the windshield in some way while it dries. It can also be used to form small windows and can be found on Amazon or eBay if not available locally. You can also try using Future, which is an acrylic liquid floor wax. I think it is available in Europe as well, but I don't know what it's called there.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I personally haven't tried this technique but I have read about it:

Some say to dip the clear part in some Future floor wax. Let the part dry preferably overnight. Then they say you can glue the part in place using regular glue without having to worry about the clear part fogging up.

However as stated above I have not tried this technique out yet. You may want to experiment with some old parts from another kit first.

Like Jaime, I have used Testors clear parts cement on a regular basis and had good results with it when gluing on clear parts.

I even used it to make some of the smaller side windows on my early TBF-1 Avenger build.

Hope this helps...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Halvar, I have been using Future for quite a while to attach clear parts and other things to all my models, may not be the strongest adhesive but does no damage and if it does detach is easily reattached, I have used the other methods but like this best.----------------- My memory fails me at times, I call my bikes by their riders names, so Troy and Casey have their screens clipped in

, Wayne and Kork are with Future and Kenny is with CPC , I hope this helps you !

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks very much, guys!
    My key take-away is that all of you use a glue rather than a plastic welder and that the glue is of transparent kind like it's the case with Future. I have hoarded major quantities of Future when Johnson changed the recipe, but stopped using it as a clear cote because the spider web effect had ruined one of my models. I'll give it a try now as a transparent glue.
    Special thanks to Allan. This is a fabulous collection of bikes, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I use puzzle glue to attach clear parts or Elmer's Clear Glue

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I've always just used plain old PVA white glue from a stationary shop. I normally spread it thin with an old brush then attach the part gently when the glue is half way to being dry... but I'm no expert! I just wing everything!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Halvar, most of the bikes I've built have been Tamiya 1/12 kits where quite often the windshield clips in and doesn't need any further encouragement to stay in place. However, I've also used Tamiya X-22 clear as a kind of glue, it doesn't make for the strongest joint known to man, but, hey, this is only a static model, right? I've also occasionally used Tamiya's "one-use" cyano, it doesn't fog the plastic like most cyanos, but maybe I was just lucky, so it's definitely a case of try before you commit yourself. Looking forward to seeing your finished bike.